2001 Toyota Corolla - 35k miles, what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do a bit of research on the pre-cat item. I am not convinced its a wide-spread issue enough to be alarmed about, I see talk on a couple of Celica forums, but no references on some of the largest Corolla forums on the internet. Especially in car that seemingly has been taken care of, make sure you more than a few Italian tune-ups when you get it and work all the cobwebs out.

It was a bigger issue for the 00-02 Celica and MR2 and reported issues for the Rav4 and I have heard of the same issue with the Vibe/Matrix. I have wondered if it might be a result of different engine management schemes because the Celica/MR2 was rated at 138bhp and 125lbs of torque aand the Corolla used the 130bhp version. Also, the 1ZZ-FED was built in Japan so it might be Japan-built only versions (the 1zz-fe was built in West Virginia/Canada for the NA market).

As I say, I think it is a bigger problem for Celica/MR2 owners but it is worth checking out periodically as the results of the bad pre-cat is a new engine. It is fairly easy to inspect.

I had never heard of Toyota having this issue until now.

Well, actually I had but forgot. I never think of Toyota as making "fun" vehicles, so MR2 whatever is something that gets forgotten easily.

shortened link for formatting...

I'd think the oil consumption would be a bigger fear, but, with such low miles I'd think it'd be a "just use decent oil and forget it" affairs. I mean, did any of the oil burner years burn this early in life?

I'm guessing you could buy it and drive it for a year, and unload for very little loss if any, if any issues were to be found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every 6-10 years Toyota puts out a "fun car".

It is not a BIG overly common defect but it is something to look for before it strikes. I would not be "scared" of the problem... ummm because I am not even with a MR2. I just check it every few months.

Nick, my first "car" was a 1982 Chevy Truck with 28K... in 1999. 17 years, 28K. My father still has it now with about 70K on it for general pickup use around the property.

Originally Posted By: supton

I'd think the oil consumption would be a bigger fear, but, with such low miles I'd think it'd be a "just use decent oil and forget it" affairs. I mean, did any of the oil burner years burn this early in life?

I don't agree. If one uses just "decent" oils, consumption will ensue at some point. Mine started at 60,000-70,000 miles.
If one makes an effort of using quality oils, there is a chance of preventing consumption in the first place.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I am not 100% positive (about 90%) about the Corolla, but my MR2 is mechanically similar to the Corolla (same 1zz-fe engine but mounted at the back). The thing to look for is pre-cat failures. I know the 1zz Celicas and even the Rav4 had this issue so I expect the Corolla to have it as well.

Corolla was never effected. No pre-cats in US Corolla IIRC.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I am not 100% positive (about 90%) about the Corolla, but my MR2 is mechanically similar to the Corolla (same 1zz-fe engine but mounted at the back). The thing to look for is pre-cat failures. I know the 1zz Celicas and even the Rav4 had this issue so I expect the Corolla to have it as well.

Corolla was never effected. No pre-cats in US Corolla IIRC.

Good to know!

Great info thank everyone.

I have several jugs of Mobil super 5000 so that's what I'll be using for the time being. Plan is to pick the car up on Monday hopefully.

a 12 year old car is ripe for suspension issues, high or low mileage. expect bushings to have rotted, or will rot after the first 12k miles you put on it. also inspect the drive belts very carefully. others have already made excellent suggestions too.

Yea, I will do the necessities when I get it and really go through it next spring. I don't mine putting some money into it since the price is so good.

Looks like it will end up being $1800 so even better. I also just found out that this woman bought the car in 2006 from another elderly man and it only had 18k on it then. The car has been garage kept it's entire life.

Is it wrong to already want to pull the valve cover?

Leaving for my 11 hour drive in 8 hours to get this. A bit nervous as I have not even seen this car in several years. The price is now $1500 as the seller says it's very dirty. I'll post up the details when I return...

We were in somewhat of a negotiation as far as the price but the car is mine now.

Mileage wasn't quite as good as they originally thought, but still a great deal I believe. It ended up having 48,8XX on the odometer.

I think this was the first time this little car has that small town... From what the PO (Second owner) said, the longest drive they took in it was 30 minutes. After I got it warmed up, I drove it fairly spirited. I-70 over Vail pass and the rest of the decent hills we have out here. I put over 300 miles on it to get it home. Ran like a champ with zero issues.

Threw in the MMO today, maybe 8-10 ounces is all I had left. Under the oil fill cap I could see some light varnish but no sludge so that is a refresher. I was worried of the low milage, short trips and a small town.

I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow to post. Probably the most boring looking car I have ever seen IMHO. The great thing is that I could care less about looks. I am much more impressed by reliability and fuel milage.

Make sure the tires are not too old. A good rule of thumb is to change tires six years from the date printed on the side wall.

Yea, tires look ok but need a rotation for sure. In the glove box was the tire receipt from August 2009 when they were installed at Big "O". Milage at that time was 36,xxx acccording to the PPW. I'll try and use them for the winter as they are Arctic Claw snow tires.

Another plus is that I found 6 oil change PPW sheets in there also. Looks like this PO was pretty decent about getting it changed regularly. I also found the PPW from when they bought the vehicle in 2006 when it had 18,xxx on it.

This is a pretty fun little car I must say. I ran Techron through it on the drive back and I am waiting to see what my first full tank yields as far as MPG's.

The other day I dropped the pan, cleaned everything up and added a new filter and pan gasket. I would not be surprised if this was the first fluid change it ever had. After the pan cleaning, I filled with some ST Derron III that I had left over. I then disconnected the cooler return line and did the manual flush. I then added Maxlife ATF and repeated the process until I had all the Maxlife in the system. I also added a bottle of Lubegard red while I was at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back