2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd 5.2 v8 needs entire front end

Ditto title, up to about 5 years ago I could buy low mile southern cut off front ends for my Dodge pickup for only about $250

It was the entire front end (sometimes with part of the frame rail) from a wreck on a pallet, tie rods, brakes, springs everything

At the time I didn’t think much of it but the time is coming now as my folks possession has destroyed the front suspension with rust, I don’t consider any part salvageable even though it may just be a bearing going at the moment .

Does anyone know a wrecker where I can buy a full front end compatible with my truck?

I can find 1 tons still on the pallet but sadly Dodge seems to make everything a unicorn, I’m not sure anything other than a 2000/2001 would fit, if that’s not true I would throw an old lumbering beam suspension on it.

Any ideas? The suspension that actually will last more than 30,000 miles is about $3000 full in (aftermarket stuff is truly terrible for this truck)

Is the rest worth fixing? I get it, nothing is cheap to fix these days, and sometimes fixing what you have is best, but I do like to ask anyhow.

Because of the brand or the sign of the times? The local volunteer fire department has a Dodge V10 pickup that put a hole in the block. They also had an incredibly hard time finding a used engine and I was told a rebuilt one was impossible to source.

Is the rest worth fixing? I get it, nothing is cheap to fix these days, and sometimes fixing what you have is best, but I do like to ask anyhow.
Nothing else needs fixing

It’s like someone dropped sulphuric acid on the front suspension,

body and rails, rearend+ cab are good 83,000 miles.

Literally just the front end is garbage like someone forgot coorsion protection on front ends that day.

Also cheap isn’t the problem, easy to install, with parts that fit, nothing missing that doesn’t take a year to get.

I can get a cheap rebuild part kit that won’t fit right, take tons of time and will wear out in under 30,000 miles all day long. What good is something that might only last as long as the rusty OEM parts that are already there?

Last edited:
Nothing else needs fixing

It’s like someone dropped sulphuric acid on the front suspension,

body and rails, rearend+ cab are good 83,000 miles.

Literally just the front end is garbage like someone forgot coorsion protection on front ends that day.

Also cheap isn’t the problem, easy to install, with parts that fit, nothing missing that doesn’t take a year to get.

I can get a cheap rebuild part kit that won’t fit right, take tons of time and will wear out in under 30,000 miles all day long. What good is something that might only last as long as the rusty OEM parts that are already there?

Why not just go down to the auto parts store of your choice, get some lifetime warranty chassis parts, and be done with it. In 5 years or whenever they go bad you can warranty out any that have got sloppy for $0.00.

I don't understand this thread. Who would install salvage front end parts like "tie rods, brakes, springs everything"?

It’s like someone dropped sulphuric acid on the front suspension, body and rails, rearend+ cab are good 83,000 miles
I used to get clean salvage (no rust) with 40,000 miles on it. Father did that with an old suburban and it took minimal time to swap out.

The OEM parts even salvage are usually better than the aftermarket, I do not want to be replacing ball joints every 15,000 miles on a lifetime warranty as I have had happen before

You need to remember that I don’t have any reusable parts on the front, if I get the whole thing fully assembled low miles I can rebuild a ball joint but if I get a kit I am guaranteed to be missing something and will have trouble finding replacements that fit correctly.

Everything from the rails out, control arms etc will need junking

I used to get clean salvage (no rust) with 40,000 miles on it. Father did that with an old suburban and it took minimal time to swap out.

The OEM parts even salvage are usually better than the aftermarket, I do not want to be replacing ball joints every 15,000 miles on a lifetime warranty as I have had happen before

You need to remember that I don’t have any reusable parts on the front, if I get the whole thing fully assembled low miles I can rebuild a ball joint but if I get a kit I am guaranteed to be missing something and will have trouble finding replacements that fit correctly.
You’re not going to be replacing front end parts every 15k if you get decent stuff.

You’re not going to be replacing front end parts every 15k if you get decent stuff.
What’s decent?

The only ones I know of anymore are specialty off road places, MOOG is garbage as is anything At autozone including the supposedly OEM parts

What’s decent?

The only ones I know of anymore are specialty off road places, MOOG is garbage as is anything At autozone including the supposedly OEM parts
Dana/Spicer, Delphi, TRW, Lemforder
All are available ball joints on RockAuto, at fair prices
Dorman has some adjustable ones for caster, and Mevotech has the TTX heavy duty line

I don't think you'll find a good front cut for that particular front end, 2000-2001 was pretty bespoke

People have posted decent luck with Suspensia brand parts

I do feel your frustrations about the parts situation

I've heard of people buying Hilux "front ends" as imports from Japan. In that example they were also getting a powertrain, sometimes one not legal in the US-- eg, diesel. It was illegal to import a whole vehicle, so... front end!

I haven't heard of people doing what you're doing, unless they were rebuilding a wreck and needed those straight frame rails. I'm with everyone else who says get new HD parts. You're dealing with >20 year old rubber, bushings etc on these used parts, and you don't know if they've been serviced with chintzy off brand parts anyway.

A low mile truck from that vintage without a ton of rust has got to be a rare item.
There is a ton of rust on the front suspension, rails are clean, drivers door bottom is rusty passenger fender has edge rust

Bed is surprisingly clean but the PO had rhino liner all over the outside (not the underside sadly)

If I truly wanted to fix it up, beyond scratches it wouldn’t take much.

I’m guessing the truck has another 10-15 years in it if I get a clean front end on it.

People have posted decent luck with Suspensia brand parts

I do feel your frustrations about the parts situation

Now to find a complete front end from suspensia, wonder how many grand.

Mechanic looked it over and said at 3000 miles a year don’t worry about it, no chance of a wheel coming off but don’t plan any cross country trips, play is still in spec despite being stiff and squeaky with no way to lube. Ball joints are still good just get a wash and wax and keep an eye on it.

Look for a whole used truck down here in the southern US? The paint will be faded to oblivion and the interior will be bleached out from the sun, but anything on the underside will be rust free. No idea if the suspension parts will be good though.

Look for a whole used truck down here in the southern US? The paint will be faded to oblivion and the interior will be bleached out from the sun, but anything on the underside will be rust free. No idea if the suspension parts will be good though.
At least rebuildable instead of new control arms and wheel ends.

Back