2000 Honda Accord, Fram Ultra, and Val HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhonda the Honda hit 200,000 miles on this oil change. Runs good and change was good. Used Valvoline HM 5w-30 and a Fram Ultra for around 3,000 miles.

IMG_20140828_065241789_zps8merj7km.jpg

IMG_20140828_065237472_zpsddt9k1ol.jpg

IMG_20140828_065228695_zpszj6q2zad.jpg

IMG_20140828_065224218_zpsilypri73.jpg

IMG_20140828_065220579_zpsjvlceqki.jpg

IMG_20140828_065215204_zps861yfmbp.jpg

IMG_20140828_065210064_zpsej9uurat.jpg

IMG_20140828_065202384_zpsjca9lqhk.jpg

IMG_20140828_065152731_zpsqkrbn9qn.jpg

IMG_20140828_065143778_zpsgzygb6gk.jpg

IMG_20140828_065141528_zpsy8a4hepa.jpg

Looks great ... why not run the Ultra for 2x or 3x oil changes since you're changing oil at only 3K.

On picture #5 there is a rip in the media, am I right? If so, was that caused by you or was it already there? DO tell.

Good looking filter! Dont let them give you a hard time about the 3k OCI. If that is what you feel comfortable with, stick with it. Could your oil and filter go farther? Possible. But obviously what you are doing is working, as your vehicle is over the 200k mark! Good job!
01.gif

Of course the filter could go longer,its a 15k filter
You are not getting your moneys worth n either the oil or filter but its your money

Thank you for the kind words, I don't car what they say or think. Reason, I changed it so early. I had an overheating issue with and no one in my family told me about it. So, I what to make sure the oil wasn't a frappy coffee. Also, I use Rhonda the Honda as a test bed for all oil filters, I want to try. So, it runs whatever I feel like, I want to try. Planning to push the OCI's to 5,000 miles.

If that's the 4 cylinder Honda you won't be pushing the oil at 5,000 miles, they easily go 10k on synthetic. And the Ultras are good for at least 15,000 unless your engine is sludged

Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Not a rip, just a piece of metal from cutting it open. With remove them better next time. 2nd oil filter, I have ever cut open.

5th pic, 11th pleat from the top....are you sure? Im not talking about the metal shaving in between the 5th and 6th pleats.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not a rip, just a piece of metal from cutting it open. With remove them better next time. 2nd oil filter, I have ever cut open.

5th pic, 11th pleat from the top....are you sure? Im not talking about the metal shaving in between the 5th and 6th pleats.

It looks like it could be, but photos can be deceiving. OP will have to do a close visual inspection to know for sure. If it was a hole that large, I'm sure the OP would have seen it pretty easily.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It looks like it could be, but photos can be deceiving. OP will have to do a close visual inspection to know for sure. If it was a hole that large, I'm sure the OP would have seen it pretty easily.

If this Fram has a tear in it....thats it....game over man....there are no more filters left to use that are safe....
crazy2.gif

I'm not seeing anything that looks like ripped media. You guys are trying too hard to find a fault or possible fault.

**I'm viewing this on my phone and I now finally see this "rip", which is not a rip in my opinion. If it were a rip you'd see the wire backing behind the media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If this Fram has a tear in it....thats it....game over man....there are no more filters left to use that are safe....
crazy2.gif

Why so dramatic? If DOZENS of Ultras were reported with the same repeating media failure, then guess what, people would react the same way they have to all the Purolators tearing.

To me, I don't care what the brand name is on the side. If its a good product I use it, if it's a bad product I don't use it. If it use to be a good product and problems occur that impact it's quality or performance, then I change brands and find one that meets what I'm looking for. I think the majority of people here have the same viewpoint. Anyone who keeps defending torn Purolators is obviously a major fanboy.
grin.gif

I looked real hard, and didn't see anything. Could be a tear, I am not sure. That filter went to the dump awhile ago. Also, had some oil mixed with water and metal shaving in the pan where it set for awhile. I can't say for sure, but looked fine when I checked it out.

On picture #5 there is a rip in the media, am I right? If so, was that caused by you or was it already there? DO tell.

Doesn't look like a rip to me, just looks like [censored] on the filter media probably introduced after it was cut open.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Good looking filter! Dont let them give you a hard time about the 3k OCI. If that is what you feel comfortable with, stick with it. Could your oil and filter go farther? Possible. But obviously what you are doing is working, as your vehicle is over the 200k mark! Good job!
01.gif

Very well said!
Them giving him that advice would be like me telling everyone they need to use a new oil filter for each OCI. We know what can happen, or, should I say 'used to happen', when I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back