2000 Ford Taurus, any common problems?

We are potentially looking to purchase my sisters old 2000 Taurus as a beater (beach trips / hiking etc.) The only main complaint I see on these are bad transmissions, but this one currently has just over 200K miles on it so maybe its a "good" one?

Anything to look out for on these? Would likely get it for $1000.

Believe these are the ones that blow through starters because the oil filter is right above the starter so the oil gets down in the starter by careless mechanics who don’t put anything there to direct the oil away. I know it’s one of the repairs I do often on these. Depends on the engine it’s on the V6 models if that’s what this is.

Believe these are the ones that blow through starters because the oil filter is right above the starter so the oil gets down in the starter by careless mechanics who don’t put anything there to direct the oil away. I know it’s one of the repairs I do often on these. Depends on the engine it’s on the V6 models if that’s what this is.
It is a V6. I thought thats the only option?

It is a V6. I thought thats the only option?
Oh yeah you’re right. I see the starters fail a lot for that reason. I’ve got an old one at home I replaced it’s still covered in oil and that was 3 years ago I believe the internals are full of oil because I wipe it off and it comes right back. That’s one bad design by Ford in my opinion.

I'd get some HuskyLiners for the Accord for going to the beach.

22F7579B-DEA3-451E-9361-27391D2578E7.jpeg

Oh yeah you’re right. I see the starters fail a lot for that reason. I’ve got an old one at home I replaced it’s still covered in oil and that was 3 years ago I believe the internals are full of oil because I wipe it off and it comes right back. That’s one bad design by Ford in my opinion.
I did a quick search on this issue, it appears only to be present on the Vulcan equipped Taurus's (not Duratec)...hers has the Vulcan.

I did a quick search on this issue, it appears only to be present on the Vulcan equipped Taurus's (not Duratec)...hers has the Vulcan.
I can vouch for this

My starter in my 2000 Vulcan failed at 140,000 miles but what I would like to notify you on is the the front springs can fail, ripping into the tire. Can you find out if the originals have been replaced? Also, the body is prone to rust in the rocker panels underneath the plastic covers ( maybe not in Florida.) 200,000 miles? Too risky if the springs are original.

Last edited:
No
My starter in my 2000 Vulcan failed at 140,000 miles but what I would like to notify you on is the the front springs can fail, ripping into the tire. Can you find out if the originals have been replaced? Also, the body is prone to rust in the rocker panels underneath the plastic covers ( maybe not in Florida.)
Not sure on the springs. Was there a recall?

21 years old is the problem.
Lol. I’m not expecting too much here. Just a beater we can take to the beach during summer months and not worry about keeping it clean.

Mainly here to see if there are any common issues that cost $$$$ to fix. Small issues that come with age I expect from any car.

Since Ford was too stupid to include a drain plug for the transmission, get an aftermarket pan that has one.

Any 20 year old car with 200k is going to need something, but any rust-free car that runs and drives is worth $1000

If that's the case, you want an @OIL_UDDER :D

Our family had one from 2003 until 2015. Many parts were replaced over the years before it got sold with only 75,000 miles on it. A bit of suspension work( struts and leaf springs) , Key tumblers, Alternator, Air bag module, Starter (3x), cruise control, headlight switch, power window switches, ect.

However, the car did have some big pluses such as the 6th seat, very comfortable seating, and it also had the Vulcan in it as well which allowed you to use E85. That feature came in real handy when gas went up to 4 bucks a gallon and we had some one siphoning gas out of the cars on our block. Ours stopped getting hit after 2 or so weeks of running e 85

Back