2000 Ford Taurus, any common problems?

Some more pics. Got it up on ramps today and it has some leaks, consistent with 200k miles. After speaking with my sister and dad the leaks don’t seem like anything that can’t be handled with a top off every now and then. She just went on a 5 hour trip recently (10 hours both ways) and it handled it well. Engine oil and transmission fluid were in the normal range when I checked today, and I don’t think either have been topped off recently. Coolant is a different story, top offs will be required from the sound of it.

Attachments

• 5B246A87-82A4-4A7D-B793-633BA0664234.jpeg
    5B246A87-82A4-4A7D-B793-633BA0664234.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 5F47D9A7-8D33-42B0-B4F3-61B7157DF5DF.jpeg
    5F47D9A7-8D33-42B0-B4F3-61B7157DF5DF.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 96944D5B-FDE2-4C7D-99A0-CE62EDD95476.jpeg
    96944D5B-FDE2-4C7D-99A0-CE62EDD95476.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 25
My starter in my 2000 Vulcan failed at 140,000 miles but what I would like to notify you on is the the front springs can fail, ripping into the tire. Can you find out if the originals have been replaced? Also, the body is prone to rust in the rocker panels underneath the plastic covers ( maybe not in Florida.) 200,000 miles? Too risky if the springs are original.

The rear springs too. Mine went through 2 or 3 sets of rear springs.

Some more pics. Got it up on ramps today and it has some leaks, consistent with 200k miles. After speaking with my sister and dad the leaks don’t seem like anything that can’t be handled with a top off every now and then. She just went on a 5 hour trip recently (10 hours both ways) and it handled it well. Engine oil and transmission fluid were in the normal range when I checked today, and I don’t think either have been topped off recently. Coolant is a different story, top offs will be required from the sound of it.
Mine didn't leak any coolant. Hope the head gasket is ok, I think that's how the engine tends to go. There were a few hoses that I had to replace, but the leaking was quite evident. The headlights are cheap, about $50 at rockauto. But I had one of those bottles of headlight cleaner which I think was basically just some kind of abrasive and it'd wear off every 3-4 months but I'd just do it again, something like $6 and I got a ton of applications out of one bottle.

Mine didn't leak any coolant. Hope the head gasket is ok, I think that's how the engine tends to go. There were a few hoses that I had to replace, but the leaking was quite evident. The headlights are cheap, about $50 at rockauto. But I had one of those bottles of headlight cleaner which I think was basically just some kind of abrasive and it'd wear off every 3-4 months but I'd just do it again, something like $6 and I got a ton of applications out of one bottle.
Didn't they have problems with the coolant sludging on these engines.

Didn't they have problems with the coolant sludging on these engines.
Don't think that was a common problem. I got rid of mine 5 years ago so my memory on that is a little hazy. There is a Taurusclub.com forum that I used to be on. When I moved over to Mercedes, I think I recognized someone from the Taurus forum, it'd be the next step up if you want a similar sized sedan with more options/standard features.

That car looks pretty clean, solid, and rust free for $1k, I’d buy it, and just not expect much out of it. You will probably have it for longer than you plan!

That car looks pretty clean, solid, and rust free for $1k, I’d buy it, and just not expect much out of it. You will probably have it for longer than you plan!
This is what we are hoping for, maybe a few years without major issues. Miles driven would be limited relatively speaking.

Not sure, will have to look more into this. Assuming they take old fashion green coolant?
Yeah, regular green coolant. Only flushed mine a few times. Check the hoses. On the Duratec there were a few factory only hoses, one in the back went and another one with a special fitting went in the front.

So it is leaking coolant from somewhere, I have read reports of leaking coolant from the "wet" timing covers on these...does anyone know if this is an internal leak that that can mix with the oil or simply external?

Also reading head gaskets can be a problem on these, but if this was the case I should see milky oil / white smoke out the exhaust right?

So it is leaking coolant from somewhere, I have read reports of leaking coolant from the "wet" timing covers on these...does anyone know if this is an internal leak that that can mix with the oil or simply external?

Also reading head gaskets can be a problem on these, but if this was the case I should see milky oil / white smoke out the exhaust right?
Rent a pressure tester from Auto Zone, you hook it up to the radiator and can pump up the pressure to 16 psi and see if you can find the leak.

Head gaskets were only an issue on the 3.8L engines. And even then I think it was a lot of times intake gaskets misdiagnosed as head gaskets.

If it's a FL car rust is not a issue. I've had 1 Vulcan Taurus and 2 Duratec Sables. Trans fluid maintenance is a must every 40k to go to 200k.
Taurus Car Club of America is a great resource for info from the devoted. I'm not posting there anymore as I've no skin in the game anymore.

I know all about sand and it will ruin carpet, seats and everything in between in a few months. I always had a beater when I was a mason, no matter how hard you try you can never get all the sand off you, even with an air hose.

If you can get it for $500 and it lasts you a year or two I really don't see the down side.

Last edited:
If it's a FL car rust is not a issue. I've had 1 Vulcan Taurus and 2 Duratec Sables. Trans fluid maintenance is a must every 40k to go to 200k.
Taurus Car Club of America is a great resource for info from the devoted. I'm not posting there anymore as I've no skin in the game anymore.
All I can say to that is, it shifts fine now and the fluid doesn’t smell burnt.

From my experience with these, the Vulcan tends to outlast the Duratec, and when they get a lot of miles on them it is the cooling system or transmission that tends to cause an EOL experience. The car looks like a good, relatively rust-free car, and at the price it is a bargain IMO. But, you need to get an immediate handle on the coolant leak.

Back