2000 Buick Century with 24k miles

Does this car have the 4T45e or the 4T65e? If it’s the 4T45e it will be trouble free for its life. The 4T65e has some issues however.
I don't think they used 4T45-E in 2000 in this car. The few I have done have all been the 4T65-E. At 24K and legit driven by an old lady I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah this summer I think I’ll do the intake gaskets just for piece of mind. All the fluids will get changed as I have time over the next month. I hope to get some good years out of it.

I don't think they used 4T45-E in 2000 in this car. The few I have done have all been the 4T65-E. At 24K and legit driven by an old lady I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
Yep you’re right, 4T65e in these cars.

Great looking car. You won't have to do anything to it, other than what's been listed. Do a full and complete coolant flush, install the updated metal framed LIM's and you'll be good to go.

No way you'll have trouble with that 4T65, not when it's a 24k mile unit that's been driven by an old lady. There's nothing wrong with those units when they're attached to a low-power 3100. Sure, at 150k+ it may start slipping and acting goofy but that's just silly thinking.

Now, when it's attached to a SIII 3800 S/C, a 5300 V8 in an Impala SS, or a twin-turbo Volvo XC90 that weighs 5k pounds, it won't hold up for anything. None of that is the case with a Century.

Excellent score.

Had one years ago and was a decent DD. I did the Transgo shift kit when it started the hard 4th gear shifts. I mean hard, like Bang!! Something to do with increased line pressure and the kit solves it. As stated, with low miles you likely won't see that for a long time if the rest of the vehicle makes it that far.

Do the LIM gaskets and keep an eye on the fluid levels often to make sure the other gaskets are good. I have a Regal that sat for 6 weeks after my knee replacement surgery and it developed a horrendous trans fluid leak afterwards. Not sure if coincidence or sitting provoked it, but I replaced the pan gasket and all is fine.

Be prepared to replace the window regulators at some point. It happened to most all the windows in the Century as well as the Regal as they're the same design if not the exact same parts. The cable is terminated with plastic on the end and it gets brittle with age and one day a window will stop working. They drop and Murphy's Law dictates it will occur during inclement weather. It's not a super difficult job, just inconvenient with no warning.

Had one years ago and was a decent DD. I did the Transgo shift kit when it started the hard 4th gear shifts. I mean hard, like Bang!! Something to do with increased line pressure and the kit solves it. As stated, with low miles you likely won't see that for a long time if the rest of the vehicle makes it that far.

Do the LIM gaskets and keep an eye on the fluid levels often to make sure the other gaskets are good. I have a Regal that sat for 6 weeks after my knee replacement surgery and it developed a horrendous trans fluid leak afterwards. Not sure if coincidence or sitting provoked it, but I replaced the pan gasket and all is fine.

Be prepared to replace the window regulators at some point. It happened to most all the windows in the Century as well as the Regal as they're the same design if not the exact same parts. The cable is terminated with plastic on the end and it gets brittle with age and one day a window will stop working. They drop and Murphy's Law dictates it will occur during inclement weather. It's not a super difficult job, just inconvenient with no warning.
Shift kit solved hard shift into 4th? I thought the kit only addressed 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.

My father had a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass with this engine. Had 200k on it when the trans failed. I changed an alternator on it one time... That was it! Great mid size boats.

Shift kit solved hard shift into 4th? I thought the kit only addressed 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.
That was a very long time ago but I'm fairly certain you're correct.

I still daily drive my 2001 Regal to work with well over 200k miles and it just keeps on going. It keeps the miles off my other car and I'm not replacing it until the market calms down and gets closer to normal. The Regal never needed the shift kit but I've done all kinds of other work to it, most of which are the typical issues this model is known for. The nice thing is parts are relatively cheap and it's easy to work on as it's never lived in the salt belt.

Back