2000 Accord Brake Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsd

My 2000 Honda Accord with 135k miles has drum brakes on the rear, disks on the front with OEM Honda pads and original rotors. Brakes work fine except after a lengthly (1hr or more) highway cruise. If I have to hit the brakes agressively for a traffic slowdown it momentarily pulls to the right then goes straight. After that it stops straight until you have driven for an extended time again. I suspect one of the calipers is getting the pads moved further apart during the long drive and they have to travel slightly further before contacting the disk thus delaying the braking on that side. There is no vibration or pulsation like a warped rotor would cause. Has anyone experieced this issue and know the fix?

-check all brakes (front/back) for dragging, fluid leaks, etc.

-flush/replace brake fluid in the system.

-service/lubricate guide pins and bushings on front calipers.

-check for oil contamination on front brake pads/rotors. Wipe down rotors with brake cleaner solvents and replace brake pads with new ones (if contaminated).

-check for overheating/glazing on brake rotor surface.

Q.

BTW: braking system is not that difficult to understand and service, if you understand the mechanics of it.

Originally Posted By: Quest
-service/lubricate guide pins and bushings on front calipers.

Yes, and if your Accord's brake system uses one pin with a bushing and one pin without, don't simply re-install them how you removed them...take the time to find out where the pin with the bushing is supposed to go. Our Acura it wrong on both sides, and our CR-V had it wrong on one side.

In my experience, and the service manual says this as well, if the pin with the bushing is in the wrong hole, brakes can pull or stick...or in my case, you can get poor/soft brake feel.

You have corrosion on the guide pins. It happens often with honda brakes in climates using rosd salt. FWIW--Oldtommy

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll start with the caliper pins and see what they look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back