$200 to remove tint from back window?

Shop want's $200 to remove the bubbling tint just from the back window of my 95 Buick Skylark coupe. No thanks. Even if it takes me 10 hours, that's like making $20 an hour tax free. I know it's a pain to do, but it worth a shot.

Did the trash bag method and all that did was get off the outer layer in a few big pieces. Not what I was hoping for, but better than it breaking apart. Now I have the tint layer and glue to deal with. Using a 1/2 inch blade to scrape between the defroster lines and a regular razor blade to lightly scrape over the defroster lines, I have 2/3 of the tint off after 3 hours before it got dark. Pretty sore neck and arms. Not a comfortable position to work in. Will see tomorrow how the rest of it goes.

Reactions: JC1
Last time I removed tint I waited for a hot day and used ammonia based window cleaner. The tint just peeled off like it was nothing. Super easy. Did all the windows on a 4Runner because the tint shop said the minimum was $300 but would go up depending on how hard it was to remove. Did it all myself in an afternoon and used a different tint shop to redo the tint.

I have a car with dark tint on the rear window. Dint like it at all. So one layer stayed and another peeled off? Was heat used? Won’t this destroy the defroster?

A heat gun or a steam cleaner is all I ever had to use to remove window tint. The little bit of residual adhesive came off with denatured alcohol and a rag and/or with the steam cleaner.

Should just go get a back glass from the junkyard for $50 and a $30 tube of 3M adhesive and swap it in.

I wouldn't scrape on them at all or with anything metal. Plastic scraper and plastic scrubber only. It doesn't take much and you'll lose the whole line.
No matter how careful you are, removing tint from the rear window will always damage the defroster function to some degree.

Usually steamer helps, but sometimes you might need to resort to an aggressive adhesive remover.

No matter how careful you are, removing tint from the rear window will always damage the defroster function to some degree.

Usually steamer helps, but sometimes you might need to resort to an aggressive adhesive remover.
Even then, its a crap shoot. When I worked at a shop that did it you'd always get a waiver signed. Most of the time people waited way too long to have it done. The time to pull the tint is way before it starts to bubble. Once that happens, it tends to separate and harden. If you catch it before then, steaming it off is usually 90-100% effective

Been a few months since I talked to my friends that still own the shop, but as I recall the last time I talked to them, they were saying that some new cars have defrosters that are EXTREMELY fragile and can't handle even having the tint steamed off without failing the whole window.

Here in GA for a car that sits outside, even a super high quality 'lifetime' tint is only good for about 10 years and then will start having adhesive failure. Usually manifested as wavy lines starting near the edges. That is when you want to have it replaced.

Last edited:
Better is when Karen books the appointment and you ask her 'is there any tint in it', to which they always answer 'no' and then they show up and there is and they expect it to be peeled for free, or done in the same amount of time as just a regular application job. Had to deal with many of those over the years.

I called multiple local shops and all but one turned down the job. I wanted to pay them to remove the old tint (rear window only) and replace it with new tint, but nope.... The one that offered to do the job told me I'll have to sign a waiver for any damage to the rear defroster is not on them. They pointed out that it's non-repairable too (at least not by them or not practical due to cost). I asked what do I do if it gets damaged and they told me "replace the window". I'm actually considering that option....

I called multiple local shops and all but one turned down the job. I wanted to pay them to remove the old tint (rear window only) and replace it with new tint, but nope.... The one that offered to do the job told me I'll have to sign a waiver for any damage to the rear defroster is not on them. They pointed out that it's non-repairable too (at least not by them or not practical due to cost). I asked what do I do if it gets damaged and they told me "replace the window". I'm actually considering that option....
They quite frankly don't want to deal with breaking a part on a 25 year old car. That's the bottom line.

Back