Question for pro window tinters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody here is a professional window tinter or even a seasoned one: Does tint material quality dictate wether or not the tint will heat shrink?

I am not a pro or own a shop. I've tinted my windows before using Gila tint from autozone. Took multiple tries but I got it to come out decent. Better than any ebay precut stuff. Learned to heat shrink fingers not too long ago on Gila tint too. I ordered precut tint off eBay and did 2 separate cars. Total bust because it seemed like the film would crease if the breeze wasn't blowing the right way, on top of that, the heat didn't shrink the fingers down. They'd pop right up the second I start shrinking another part.

I'm thinking about buying a roll of higher end tint to learn, but if it's my technique I rather work with cheap stuff until I got the hang of it...

I'm isolating the fingers along the bottom and top of the tint, heat 3-4 seconds and glide over with my squeegee. atleast on Gila tint the fingers stay down for the most part. eBay tint...comes right back up.

Yes. Different tints, different manufacturers will all shrink differently. Higher end films for the most part are easier to work with.

Source, Worked at a local tint shop for many years, and while I wasn't a tinter, I was and still am good friends with the owner/tinter and have seen thousands of cars tinted and have had many discussions regarding tint qualities and watched new films being tried.

If you have a local tint shop, they will usually be willing to sell you tint if you want to buy a few feet for trial before you spend the money on a full roll.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back