20 yr. old car - switch from green to yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Altima. Been running old school green since day one. Original water pump, original radiator. All good, and I want to keep it that way.

Situation: Green is getting very expensive compared to the 50K extended life. I can get Peak Long Life for $3/jug after rebate, compared to the Peak old school green at $13. I plan on doing a radiator drain 4 times over the summer, which should mix in the long life and leave hardly any green left. I'll continue to drain and refill with long life until the green is gone, and then switch over to the 50K change cycle.

Question: Am I better off sticking with old school green for the remainder of the life of the car? It's 20 years old, and I don't know what risks there are switching to extended life on such an old vehicle, and how the different corrision inhibitors on such an old car could cause problems. I know - in general - it's ok to do this, but given the age of the vehicle and the original parts, I thought I would ask for opinions.

I'd stick with green..

if you are going to change over.. you need to flush.. not drain and fill.

risks depend on the type you are changing too.. cant simply go by colors.

to avoid hassle and possible end of car problems. I'd just "waste" the 20$ and buy conventional green.

Consider this...

You change over to yellow, and by coincidence (or not), the water pump goes out within a few months.... or the radiator starts leaking.

You'll wish you'd stuck with the green.

Thanks guys, I ended up sticking with green. The decision was a lot easier when I got home and found out the kid at the parts store accidentally gave me green instead of the long life.

I did a radiator drain today, then will do another one at the end of the summer and call it a year. That will get out 75% of the old stuff. Two jugs of concentrate left to go, which will hold me over for 4 more years. I'm a little worried about the shelf life of green sitting around 4 years, but after reading BITOG, I'm not as concerned since it's concentrate not 50/50, and the Peak Green uses phosphates more than silicates.

You might be able to use the new Nissan blue coolant, since this TSB says they are compatible:

Quote:
NTB09-040a - NEW BLUE NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT

SERVICE INFORMATION:
In calendar year 2009, Nissan began filling some vehicles at the factory with a NEW Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (LLC) that is blue in color.
NOTE: LLC = Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant

The transition to this new Blue LLC continued though MY 2010. Beginning with MY 2011, all Nissan vehicles are filled at the factory with the Blue LLC.
• MY 2009 and 2010: Some vehicles are filled at the factory with Blue LLC.
• MY 2011: All vehicles are filled at the factory with Blue LLC.

Blue LLC is designed to have a service life of 7 years/105,000 miles for the factory fill, and 5 years/75,000 miles for subsequent replacement fills.

• Blue LLC one gallon pre-diluted:
P/N 999MP – LP25500P
- The one gallon containers are pre-diluted with 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
- Do not add additional water when using pre-diluted Blue LLC.

• Blue LLC one quart concentrate:
P/N 999MP – L255QTP
- The one quart concentrate containers are intended for extreme cold weather application.
- Use the concentrate without mixing (do not add water).
- Add directly to the cooling system in specific amounts as directed on the container label.

Additional Information for using Blue LLC:

Blue LLC and Green-colored Nissan LLC (P/N 999MP-AF000P) are compatible with each other:
• Blue can be mixed/added with Green
• Green can be mixed/added with Blue

CAUTION:
• Adding Green LLC to Blue LLC will reduce/shorten the life expectancy of the Blue LLC to that of the Green LLC (4 years / 60,000 miles).
• LLC must always be used with demineralized or distilled water, otherwise the life expectancy of the LLC (Blue or Green) will be degraded and cooling system damage may occur.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Peal Long Life is a Dexclone.Unless you have 2EHA-compatible gaskets, I would not switch.

Where does it say that?

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Peal Long Life is a Dexclone.Unless you have 2EHA-compatible gaskets, I would not switch.

Good point, and unless you know they are compatible, it's a roll of the dice.

As for best information regarding Peak Long Life being a Dexclone, ie. containing 2eha, it comes in the form of an email (linked) from Peak Tech Dept. to Bitog member tenderloin regarding the specific question. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...608#Post1375608
"Ken,
Thanks for your e-mail. PEAK LONG LIFE and PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME can both be used in all makes and all models and can also be mixed together.
One main difference between the two is that PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME is a premium product with a special corrosion inhibitor that allows us to offer a lifetime warranty.
PEAK LONG LIFE utilizes an older yet still good extended life technology inhibitor package that is designed for 5 year 150,000 mile protection.
Yes, PEAK LONGLIFE is an 2-EH formulation.
PEAK Tech Dept.
"

Add that to the fact that Peak Global Lifetime specifically says, 2EH free while Peal LL makes no such claim, safe to say Peak Long Life is a Dexclone.

sayjac--thank you.
Also, last time checked a bottle of Peak Long Life at WM, it had a NJ chemical registration number (same# was on the WM-branded A/F as well). Cross check in the Internet linked it to 2-EHA.

I believe it is safe to assume that all generic All Makes/All Models coolant on the market today have 2-EHA. The ones that do not, either say it, like Peak Global, or are formulated for specific makes, such as G-05 (for VW) and BA Green OEM Isuzu, Kia, Hyundai antifreeze.

Last edited:
I don't understand the Dexi-clones! If I had a GM vehicle I would use something that said DexiCool. Other than that I would use Peak Global or Zerex G-05 or Zerex Asian, all depending upon the vehicle. But in no case would I use a Dexi-clone.

Now from a Walmart perspective they can carry mainly one type of coolant and satisfy all the people who cannot read.

^ I'd say a low silicate green or G-05 type would be better as far as a "universal coolant". It'll still have the same problem as dexclones with sludging if mixed with drastically different coolant, but it would be less likely to damage gaskets, etc, in the system.

Actually G-05 is compatible with several different type of coolant. One can email Zerex for more info. They answered a question of mine. Obviously if you want all the benefits including long life, you need to flush and refill with G-05 and distilled water.

Quote:
I don't understand the Dexi-clones! If I had a GM vehicle I would use something that said DexiCool. Other than that I would use Peak Global or Zerex G-05 or Zerex Asian, all depending upon the vehicle. But in no case would I use a Dexi-clone.

Now from a Walmart perspective they can carry mainly one type of coolant and satisfy all the people who cannot read.

What a very enlightened stereotypical conclusion/opinion. As most of the major auto stores including AZ, AAP and O'R offer mainly Dexclone brands too, wonder if the literacy hypothesis is also the main consideration in their coolant offerings as well?

Apparently the linked Bitog member wouldn't agree with the Dexclones opinion though. Not saying I necessarily agree with all of his conclusions/thoughts, though I have successfully used ST and Peak LL in an Altima with no cooling system issues. And based on his postings, he doesn't seem to have any difficulty reading or writing. Just sayin.

Dex-Cool, Prestone, Super Tech Observations

sad to see the same old dex nonsense still being parroted here.

Nothing wrong with dex. Even Ford is using it now.

The Internet is a great place, but it is just as full of useless info as valid.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
sad to see the same old dex nonsense still being parroted here.

Nothing wrong with dex. Even Ford is using it now.

The Internet is a great place, but it is just as full of useless info as valid.

I agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back