20 gauge or 12 gauge

Would a 12 gauge autoloader provide less recoil?

Personally, I would get one of each, but perhaps that’s just me..
Yes - this.

I have a friend who has a lightweight semi auto - I think its a Winchester but don't hold me to it. The recoil is much less than his over/under or my pump. I have shot hundreds, maybe thousands of rounds though all of them - my friend is a senior member at a club I get to visit on occasion - the auto loader is much better.

The lightweight barrel does heat up pretty quick if your shooting a lot.

Last edited:
Did some skeet shooting recently and had a lot of fun shooting a rented 20 gauge. It was lighter, more maneuverable, and generally easier to shoot than my 12 gauge. I hate to say it, but I liked shooting it more than my 12 gauge. It’s honestly got me thinking about picking up a 20 gauge now. And if I do, I’m thinking I might get rid of the old 12 gauge.

Don’t know yet. What are your thoughts? You like 20 or 12? Even though this was skeet if you wanna throw home defense or hunting in there, because you don’t shoot skeet, go for it.
I have owned (still) many. Right now I have one crack barrel / an auto and a pump 12 ga Winchesters in the house. I own a pump and one auto 20 ga that I used to love to use for squirrel hunting. I just found lighter to carry and not as loud so squirrels all did not flee the area after on shot. The 12 ga guns were used to duck and deer hunt. Even owned a couple 16 ga guns as a teen. Wish I hadn't sold or traded those.
For skeet shooting lots of folks will used either. Twelves or 20 guages. Your choice. Home defense covered by the 12s and a couple 9mm handguns for us. Henry Repeating Arms website is loaded with so many neat guns. Rifles to specialty shot guns and all things. They are PROUD of their product though once you see the prices. They have some toys on there I would like to own. Only problem is they would be home defense only use so not much worth having if you dont live mighty close to shooting ranges.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience except a 12 gauge beat up my shoulder and I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Browning BPS 20 gauge. Going to use it for fun shooting clays, not competitive shooting. Might get into duck hunting too if I can find a mentor to show me the basics.
If you live near (probably everyone does!?:rolleyes:) any Bass Pro Shops , Cabela's Outdoor Shops etc... they are great places to browse and get a good look at just about every type of gun for your needs. Another good thing about some of those places. They actually buy / sell and trade guns. So in addition to all the shiny , expensive new stuff , they also offer used. The used stuff , some of which are very nice and some unique also are a good way for someone not so sure what you want to buy , try then sell or trade/ swap until you know what you like. One of my 20 ga shotguns came from the Cabela's store near me. A nice 20 ga auto loader with ventillated rib. I notice they have a lot of over and under types to chose from.

Did some skeet shooting recently and had a lot of fun shooting a rented 20 gauge. It was lighter, more maneuverable, and generally easier to shoot than my 12 gauge. I hate to say it, but I liked shooting it more than my 12 gauge. It’s honestly got me thinking about picking up a 20 gauge now. And if I do, I’m thinking I might get rid of the old 12 gauge.

Don’t know yet. What are your thoughts? You like 20 or 12? Even though this was skeet if you wanna throw home defense or hunting in there, because you don’t shoot skeet, go for it.
If the shotgun fits and you use a good hold & stance, 12 vs 20 won't make a big difference in comfort or speed. Put differently, most issues with the 12 having more felt recoil, being less comfortable, or slower on target, are due to how it fits or is being held. Note I said "most" not "all".

I don't know how experienced you are, so I'd suggest having some of the most experience club members take a look at how your 12 gauge fits and how you swing and hold it. Maybe some of the differences you noted with the 20 were due to fit, maybe they can offer tips that will increase your comfort with the 12 gauge.

This ties into your other question. 12 gauge does it all from home defense, to hunting large animals, to game birds to rabbits, to skeet & trap. This makes it my go-to recommend shotgun unless there is some specific reason otherwise. A pithy phrase comes to mind: "Beware the man with only 1 gun. He probably knows how to use it."

As long are shooting for fun go with what you like. Sure the 12 is better. But you may hone your skills more with the 20. I shoot both.

Would a 12 gauge autoloader provide less recoil?

Personally, I would get one of each, but perhaps that’s just me..
It's all about the weight of the shotgun. A lighter shotgun will have more recoil than a heavy one of the same gauge..

My home defense is they can take whatever they want. I spent the first half of my life collecting junk, and the second half will be spent trying to get rid of it all.
it is a known fact than canadian criminals are kinder, gentler and politer than their american counterparts. and if on the off chance not, you can be sure that the crown will prosecute you for defending yourself. cheers, eh.

seriously, a shotgun is probably the only universally-allowed firearm across all jurisdictions in the usa and canada, even in europe and oceania. if i were lucky enough to spend lots of time in the “true north” wilderness i for sure would have along a shotgun. as rare as they might be, are canadian moose or bears or feral dogs kinder or gentler or politer than their american counterparts? maybe never need one, but i always buckle my seatbelt too. as strict as are canada’s gun rules, canadians can easily own convenient short-barreled shotguns that are unavailable in the usa.

the only downside to a shotgun is having a suitable practice venue, as most indoor shooting ranges don’t allow them. 12ga ammo is ubiquitous and cheaper, but since my shotguns are all lightweight singles, i stick with lesser-recoiling 20ga and 410, which can be run fast with auto-ejection of spent rounds. can one shoot clays with a single barrel, auto-ejector shotgun?

Last edited:
........ can one shoot clays with a single barrel, auto-ejector shotgun?
Absolutely. In fact most dyed in the wool Trapshooters prefer a single barrel for 16 yard singles and handicap. Usually a Browning BT-99, or a Ljutic. Or some other form of single barrel.

Going only to a O/U for doubles. Sporting Clays usually requires a repeater, (autoloaders and O/U's are very popular), because like doubles, 2 shots are required on many stations.

Absolutely. In fact most dyed in the wool Trapshooters prefer a single barrel for 16 yard singles and handicap. Usually a Browning BT-99, or a Ljutic. Or some other form of single barrel.

Going only to a O/U for doubles. Sporting Clays usually requires a repeater, (autoloaders and O/U's are very popular), because like doubles, 2 shots are required on many stations.
Have you seen the price of new BT-99s and O&Us lately? Crykie! $$$$

It's all about the weight of the shotgun. A lighter shotgun will have more recoil than a heavy one of the same gauge..
Actually, my question was intended as rhetoric.

A gas operated, or recoil operated, shotgun can have significantly lower recoil that a breech loaded one of the same weight.

It’s not just a matter of weapon weight. As the recoil impulse is spread over several components, operating at different velocities, the ”felt” recoil is reduced. Springs and masses moving change how the recoil is transmitted to the shooter.

I’ve fired all three types. A gas operated 12 gauge has much lower recoil.

Have you seen the price of new BT-99s and O&Us lately? Crykie! $$$$
They're still an excellent buy. Especially when you look at the machining, and fit of the receivers and monoblock. Not to mention the fit and finish of the wood.

Along with the overall polishing and bluing involved in the entire gun. Especially when compared to what they get for Glock's, XD's, and all the other plastic fantastic's, that are all built on an injection molded frame.

I'm still amazed they can produce that level of quality for the price. They're still an heirloom quality gun, that can be passed down. There really isn't much these days you can say that about, in that price range.

A gas operated, or recoil operated, shotgun can have significantly lower recoil that a breech loaded one of the same weight.

It’s not just a matter of weapon weight. As the recoil impulse is spread over several components, operating at different velocities, the ”felt” recoil is reduced. Springs and masses moving change how the recoil is transmitted to the shooter.
True. How the shotgun fits and how one holds it are also significant contributing factors to felt/perceived recoil. Proper hold makes the difference between shooting all day and feeling fine, versus having a sore shoulder & jaw after the first couple of rounds.

What brand of shotgun?

I used to shoot skeet as a teen with my Remington 1100 (12ga).

The 1100 was fairly soft and I heard Benelli were about the same. I sometimes miss that shotgun. Gave it away to an old friend.

You can always do you're own reloads* and play with the amount of powder and size of the shot.

*When I first got into reloading for skeet the re-loader I used had a bar which you would slide left/right. One side would load shot the other powder. Unbeknownst to me I had the bar rotated incorrectly which caused me to load more powder and less shot. I was maybe 14 at the time and I remember the guys coming out of the trailer saying "Son, can we take a look at that gun? You're shaking the windows and we're seeing a 3 ft flame come off the barrel".. ROFL..

12 is the most common. 16,28 & 410 too expensive

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_213859.jpg
    IMG_20230218_213859.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 5
Lately, I've enjoyed the 20 for bird hunting more than the 12...including turkey loads (4) in the 20. Plus the occasional quail and pheasant when in season.

Back