2 Person brake fluid flush method

Has anyone done the method where someone presses the brake pedal and the other person opens the bleeder valve, then the person closes the valve and the person releases the brake pedal?

I’m not too cheap to buy a power bleeder, but it’s more stuff to break and clean.

I’ve never done brake fluid before

Yes , just about everyone who has done a brake job has used this method. You do need to place a spacer under the brake peddle so that you do not push the master cylinder too far. If not you run the risk of damaging the seals in the master cylinder when they are pushed too far out of their normal range into the bore of the master cylinder.

Agh! I despise the two person brake bleed method. It has never worked well for me. The cost of the Motive brake bleeder equipment was a small price to pay for avoiding the insanity of the two person method.

You may consider Speed Bleeder valves. There are many fans here on BITOG of these. I've never really read any negative comments on them. They turn a brake bleed into a one person job without the purchase of any special tools. When you let off the brake pedal, the valve keeps air from being sucked in.

I have used speedbleeder valve, except after a while, I did not remember which car I put it on. LOL.
Plus, if I change the caliper, then I forgot to move it.

I've done the one person method with no special equipment as shown by Chris Fix at minute 6:30 of the video below. I coat the brake bleeder threads with silicone grease to eliminate air intrusion through the threads. I also put a wood block underneath the brake pedal to avoid pushing it to the floor, as recommended by oldcodger above.

Have you ever tried the gravity method? It works well if the car isn't too old and stuff too crudded up. Kinda like the "Chris Fix" method (I assume) but no pressing of the brake pedal is needed. Just start with the longest line (typically RR) and work backwards. If your doing this alone, you'll need to get out from under many times to check and fill the brake reservoir. You don't want that to run empty and let air into the system.

Has anyone done the method where someone presses the brake pedal and the other person opens the bleeder valve, then the person closes the valve and the person releases the brake pedal?

I’m not too cheap to buy a power bleeder, but it’s more stuff to break and clean.

I’ve never done brake fluid before
I have done it that way with a helper and the same method by myself using a piece of wood to wedge between the seat and brake pedal to hold it down half way while I tighten the the bleed screw.

I keep on doing it by myself, one person. Just make sure the line you attach to drain old BF goes up a few inches from bleeder and then down into waist container. That way there always be BF past and above the bleeder, if there are bubbles they will go up the tube.

Do not even attempt the "2 person method", unless you have a fully loaded, hi-capacity, 9 MM handgun. And are capable of shooting the person operating the pedal.
I think I could manage pressing a brake pedal

I have done it that way with a helper and the same method by myself using a piece of wood to wedge between the seat and brake pedal to hold it down half way while I tighten the the bleed screw.
That's a good idea. I'll do that

Yup, for sure I’ve done it that way. It’s often one of the first jobs a child does when helping with mechanical work. That and “crawl up into that engine bay and get the bolt started with those thin little fingers.”
My dad has never changed brake fluid before, so I've never done it before.

It's a work in progress to get him to do preventative maintenance.

After using pressure bleeding for years I finally tried drawing fluid out of the bleeder with a small vacuum pump with a bottle to separate the fluid. Worked a charm and less messy. Even if you find someone reliable enough to help you do this job manually you still have to get rid of them afterwards without seeming ungrateful or impolite.

Back