2 cycle oil differance

Status
Not open for further replies.
There can be differences for sure, sled injection oil has to flow at really low temps, for premix oil its not an issue.
Depending on what your using the oil in I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not going to run wally world air cooled 2 stroke oil in an injected $8k sled, but for the $500 premix sled its good enough for me at 40:1 A $80 weedwacker gets whatever 2 stoke oil is handy.
Ian

Ok the guy I got my sled from has chainsaw oil in ijector bottle I better change it before I run it if he got it running he might have siezed it up then ?

Well, I really doubt the motor has any damage at all from running the chainsaw 2 stroke oil. Has it been run in like -20F weather?, I can't recall ever having any 2 stroke oil pour slow in when I've been mixing in the winter, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I assume its an older sled? I don't use the injector system at all on my old sleds. Just run premix of whatever 2T oil I have around. If you are really worried, usually you can take the exhaust off with a couple bolts and you can look in the exhaust port and see what the pistons look like.
Old sleds usually sieze because of carb problems or seal problems on one cylinder, or no oil from an injection system. I've never heard of one siezing due to having the wrong oil.
Ian

ps, some of the very latest skidoo motors do require very fancy injection oil, if you have one of those then put the right oil in.

sounds good hasn't run but a minute at a time in 25-30 degree weather, found bad crank seals and carb mount flanges ordered today. Got sled for free but put $40 into it now so I'd like to run it the rest of season without burning it up Its a 79 kaw intruder and I think I will premix

That should be a fun sled, once you get rid of all the air leaks make sure the carbs are set up the same and let'r rip!
I always put good gas in my small engines too, cheap insurance.

My grandpa always used to just run motor oil in his chainsaw and weed whacker, and they both lasted forever.

Besides the lower viscosity and pour point for injector pumps, Sled oil should have a miscibility rating of 3 or higher for the cold operating temps. Even if used in a premix application you want it to stay in solution.

My Grandfather used to run 30 weight oil in his 2 stroke lawnboy as well. 16:1 or something like that. I guess it used to work and probably still would but 40:1 with real 2 stroke oil is less smoky I'm sure. And cheaper too.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back