2 cycle for an oil burner?

I didn't get the impression that OP was talking about adding the 2 cycle oil to the sump, I assumed he was talking about adding it to the fuel, but I could be wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly - never put 2 cycle oil in the sump. A far as adding it to the fuel, the only thing that gives me pause is what that might do to the catalytic converter and/or O2 sensor. I don't know it's a problem, but I don't know it's not.

If you mixed it as dilute as someone above mentioned (640:1) I have trouble believing it would cause an issue.
Cats are already shot from mentioned oil consumption levels. And it would take a whole lot of two stroke oil to cause any catalytic converter issues. Like 5:1 ratio, but at that ratio engine simply won't run. An ounce of TCW3 oil per 5 gallons of gas isn't enough to kill a cat, too diluted. Age seems to kill catalytic converters way before any chemicals get a chance to do so. I've seen lots of catalytic converters that just crumbled over time, and little ceramic particles made it's way back into combustion chamber, killing the piston walls and cracking rings in the process.

When I was in high school I had a Chevy Monza that burned 1qt of oil every 50 miles or so.
So I bought a case of K-Mart brand 20w-50 and started adding it, I never checked the oil, just added every 50 miles or so.
It stopped burning oil, I only figured it out after the oil started coming out of the dipstick tube because it was overfull.

Switch to a 20w-50 and keep on keeping on.
My family's early 1980s response to a 69 Galaxie's oil issues.

When it comes to two cycle oil - never add it to the crankcase. You can however add it to your fuel tank in small doses. Some members here have good results (improved MPG, cleaner combustion chamber, smoother engine operation, potentially longer fuel pump life) from 640:1 ratio, which works out to 1oz of TCW-3 Two Cycle oil for every 5 gallons of fuel in the tank.
I have been doing the 640:1 in my gas for a few years now. It works.

What if you added two cycle oil to your sump like an additive? Let's say a 10:1 ratio. Would the cleaning detergents help free the rings?

I have been doing the 640:1 in my gas for a few years now. It works.

What if you added two cycle oil to your sump like an additive? Let's say a 10:1 ratio. Would the cleaning detergents help free the rings?
I'm unaware of any studies that show that 2-stroke oil has better detergents than a 4-stroke oil. AFAIK, 2-stroke oil is meant to burn cleaner, while 4-stroke oil is meant to resist burning off. Kinda looks like a recipe for a highly contaminated mess in the crankcase, at the cost of engine life, if not instantly then definitely in the long run.
But I'm always open to learning, if there is any info stating otherwise.

Back