2.7 ecoboost (variable displacement oil pump & engine oil bypass filter)

Hi All,

I'm curious about the use of an engine oil bypass filter when an engine has a variable displacement oil pump. The only hypothetical downside to an engine oil bypass that I am aware of (maybe other's can chime in if there are additional concerns) is that it might slightly reduce oil pressure in the engine. My question is that for a 2.7 ecoboost, is that concern nullified by its active regulation of the oil pressure?

My understanding is that the 2.7 ecoboost has variable displacement oil pump that actively modulate flow to meet engine pressure target - (source), measured by a engine oil pressure sensor located here (source). If that's true, it might be reasonable to infer that the 2.7 ecoboost has oil pressure to spare, so much so that they actively reduce it in the name of efficiency. In that case, perhaps an engine oil by pass filter is unlikely to reduce the oil flow experienced through the engine. What seems (to me) likely true, is that if the oil pressure decreases at all, then the variable displacement pump will simply increase its flow some to compensate.

Thoughts?

-kehyler

This was discussed on an F150 forum some time back and does merit concern. Imagine towing a fairly substantial load and the oil pump drops the oil pressure to a lower level to reduce parasitic loss. I know this is factory tested but it does make one wonder.

This was discussed on an F150 forum some time back and does merit concern. Imagine towing a fairly substantial load and the oil pump drops the oil pressure to a lower level to reduce parasitic loss. I know this is factory tested but it does make one wonder.

The programming would likely include load table parameters so you would not see reduced oil pressure when under increased load.

Usually oil pumps are designed with an excess ability to move oil so when the engine wears and oil leaks faster from the bearings the oil pump can feed enough oil to the bearings etc. Why the bypass filter ?

@wpod

My use-cases for transportation seem to be well suited to this particular truck for the next 2 decades, so I thought a bypass filter might increase it's expected life over that time?

It will be interesting how much engine life do you thing the bypass filter provide?

Kehyler did you ever get anymore answers on this? I have the same question for my 3.0 Duramax. I looked at a kit today and they take the oil by installing a T fitting at the oil pressure sensor, filtering and returning it through the filler cap.

Kehyler did you ever get anymore answers on this? I have the same question for my 3.0 Duramax. I looked at a kit today and they take the oil by installing a T fitting at the oil pressure sensor, filtering and returning it through the filler cap.
Craig have you installed one? I also run the 3.0duramax and have considered one. But at this rate the oil isn’t showing heavy soot. Atleast not at 5k changes. But I would be interested but the variable oil pump deal is what lead me to this post.

Variable? or just high/low with fancy 'variable' marketing?

Bypass shouldn't be a problem with so-called variable oil pump. The bigger problem is how tragic the oil pump is trying to squeeze out MPG by running in 'low output' mode all too often.

Besides an orifice, I recommend a 10psi trigger to stop the bypass filter when PSI drops to low. A simple check valve is all that is needed. I recommend this for ALL engines because most don't size the orifice correctly. Its not a 1 size fits all orifice.

I'd worry more about Ford's attempt at low PSI to save MPG while possibly trashing the rest of the engine. We shall see in about a decade whether the variable oil pump craze was worth it.

Back