2.4L DOHC VVTi 16 valve 4 cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more car in the mix, it's a Toyota Camry LE with the above engine and 84,000 miles on the clock.

How common was the intake manifold problem with this year car/engine?

Is this an interference engine and if so, at what intervals is the timing belt to be changed? How expensive/labor intensive is the job?

I assume you're talking about a 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine. The model year of your Camry would help. The AZ engine does not use a timing belt; it uses a timing chain.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I assume you're talking about a 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine. The model year of your Camry would help. The AZ engine does not use a timing belt; it uses a timing chain.

My apologies for omitting this; it's a 2003

Originally Posted By: Zero

Thanks; a 2003 Camry would have either the 2AZ-FE engine (2.4L DOHC I-4) or the 1MZ-FE engine (3.0L DOHC V-6). The 2AZ-FE, the I-4, indeed has a timing chain with no recommended maintenance interval. That is, the chain is designed to be good for the life of the engine. Some timing chain systems are better designed than others; I don't know of any widespread reliability issues with the timing chain systems on the AZ series engines. The 1MZ-FE, the V-6, does use a timing belt that would have to be replaced on a regular interavl.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Zero

Thanks; a 2003 Camry would have either the 2AZ-FE engine (2.4L DOHC I-4) or the 1MZ-FE engine (3.0L DOHC V-6). The 2AZ-FE, the I-4, indeed has a timing chain with no recommended maintenance interval. That is, the chain is designed to be good for the life of the engine. Some timing chain systems are better designed than others; I don't know of any widespread reliability issues with the timing chain systems on the AZ series engines. The 1MZ-FE, the V-6, does use a timing belt that would have to be replaced on a regular interavl.

It's the 2AZ-FE engine.

Again, the only issue I could find was with the intake.

Like most problems reported on the internet, I'm sure the actual failure rate is lower than one would perceive it to be. Same with the lower intake manifold issues that are possible with the Grand Prix you are considering. It probably seems that many need repair, but I'm sure that there are millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of 3.8L V-6s running around out there that have never had an issue.

(Or does the 3.8L have EGR heating issues and not the lower intake manifold gasket issues? Or are they the same thing? I forget...I wouldn't worry about it with either vehicle unless presented with symptoms or a shady seller.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back