2010 Ford Fusion SEL

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Another possible car on the used car hunt. Older Ford Fusion SEL model with ~107K miles. Metallic silver with black leather interior, nice 17 inch factory wheels. Looks well cared for, and has a good Carfax. Local PNW car, so no rust concerns. Has the 2.5L 4-cly 16V MPFI DOHC engine with the 6-Speed Automatic.

How's the reliability on that engine and transmission? Anyone have or had one? ... if so, how was it?

1683325003073.jpeg

I had a 2010. Posted a UOA or two on here way back in the day.
My dad had a 2011. When he died we passed it on to my nephew. It was wrecked (not his fault).
My mom had a 2012. When she died we passed that onto my daughter. It's still running with about 90k miles on it. No problems so far.

The only thing I know of that's an issue is that in 2010, they went to the 6spd trans (from the previous 4spd). The trans valve body and programming have a "flare" issue; when it shifts when cold it sort of flares the clutch engagement, as if a newbie was releasing a clutch pedal too slowly. As they warm up, it sort of goes away. This wasn't present on every car, but some of them. My car definitely had the issue, yet my daughters 2012 does not. So it's sort of a "potential" issue with some cars. Make sure you drive a cold one. Also, it's more prevelant when really "cold" (winter); not as noticible in summer.

The rest of the car was pretty easy to care for, and reliable. The 2.5L n/a engine is generally a stalwart.

The 2.5 and that transmission are probably among the most reliable Powertrains in any modern Ford vehicle, obviously the transmission should be serviced, if it hasn't been serviced when you look at it, and you decide to buy it just do 4 back to back drain and fills, at least with these transmissions are easy to service without a lift since they have the Dipstick unlike the second gen 6F35 in the 2013+ models, where pretty much the only way to service them is to get them up level on a lift to do the final leveling unless you want to get real jank trying to level the car out on a jack with the front wheel off or estimate the amount of fluid you need by draining it into a container to measure it without spilling any.

Doing some digging, it seems the biggest issue with the 1st Gen Fusions (2006-2012) was the electronic steering going out. Not sure how prevalent it is compared to all the cars manufactured. Steering system got a lot of complaints per this info ... 2010 model year the most complaints for some reason.

First year they used electric the 2006-2009 used standard hydraulic power steering
If you read some comments in the links above, sounds like Ford did a recall on the electronic steering, but did not include the first use of the electronic steering in the 2010 model year, which seems wrong to me, because if the steering goes out and could cause a safety issue while driving the car. Seems like Ford is leaving themselves open to a lawsuit IMO. For instance, here is a comment in the 2010 model year complaints.

Why didn't Ford include the 2010 when it had electronic steering failure issues?

1683341012961.png

Last edited:
If you read some comments in the links above, sounds like Ford did a recall on the electronic steering, but did not include the 2010 model year, which seems wrong to me if the steering goes out and could cause a safety issue while driving the car. For instance, here is a comment in the 2010 model year complaints ...

View attachment 154445
Is it the 3L V6 or the 3.5L they're talking about, I believe the 3.5L retained hydraulic power steering for all model years, while the 2.5L and 3.0L V6 went electric.

How much?
I bought one last October, I'm gonna put it back on the road soon
Engine/trans should be bulletproof, 6F35 shift oddities notwithstanding

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/im-looking-at-another-car.360818/

2010-2012 2.5 I4, 2.5 Hybrid, and 3.0 V6 had EPAS
Only the 3.5 V6 in the  Sport had hydraulic PAS
That's the same cyclone V6 with the timing chain driven water pump

I assume your prospect is less rusty?

Is it the 3L V6 or the 3.5L they're talking about, I believe the 3.5L retained hydraulic power steering for all model years, while the 2.5L and 3.0L V6 went electric.
The one I'm interested in has the 2.5L 4-cyl, as described in post #1.

I was asking about the thread you screenshotted from, but since it's an SE trim they must've meant the 3.0L.
Whatever 2010 model it is, it apparently had electronic steering based on the comment.

I assume your prospect is less rusty?
The 2010 shown in post #1 was sold and lived in the PNW it's whole life on the west side of the Cascades, so hardly any salted roads and probably no rust I would suspect. I haven't seen it with my eyes yet, but I'd bet it has zero rust.

The 2010 shown in post #1 was sold and lived in the PNW it's whole life, so not salt and no rust I would suspect. I haven't seen it with my eyes yet, but I'd bet it has zero rust.
If it looks/feels/drives right, buy it
If you can get the VIN, I might be able to generate a window sticker for it
Also check it for it's airbag recalls

I've bought two, and while so far the Milan has proved the better car, they're both more than reasonable used buys

If you can get the VIN, I might be able to generate a window sticker for it
Also check it for it's airbag recalls
There was a link to the window sticker on the Carfax. I ran the VIN through the NHSTA and it shows zero open recalls.

Edit - @michaelluscher here's a snapshot of the window sticker. Looks like a really nice car, and it's at a Ford dealership, which wouldn't keep it and instead wholesale it if it wasn't pretty nice IMO.

1683342702411.png

Same powertrain as my recently sold 2010 Escape. Very reliable vehicle. Had no issues with transmission or electric power steering.

Same powertrain as my recently sold 2010 Escape. Very reliable vehicle. Had no issues with transmission or electric power steering.
Was the same electronic power steering components used in the Escape also? The Ford recall I linked in post #6 above didn't include the Escape.

Wonder if I could get the Ford dealership selling this 2010 Fusion to essentially do the "recall" (as described in the link in post #6) on it even if there wasn't any trouble-codes. Highly doubt they would knowing Ford dealerships. I might call the dealer and ask them about this recall and what's up with the 2010. Probably wouldn't even know what I as talking about, lol. I still find it odd that Ford did not include the 2010 when it also suffered from the issue.

1683343270123.png

Last edited:
If it checks out I would go for it.

I had a 2010 Sport 2.5 and really enjoyed it. Did sometimes have shift flare but Lubegard helped shifting characteristics immensely. Plus, from what I've heard reliability isn't affected much due to the flare.

Back