2.4 4 Cylinder filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Malibu 4 cylinder
calls for PH 3506
PF 46

i'm needing a bigger filter to use ? would a PF 59 work if so what would be the Fram number. i plan to use Super tech filter.
i cant find dimensions no where ????
what about a PH 11 ?

thanks

You can go to the Wix site and plug in your #'s to get dimensional data.

It appears (according to WIX), that the PH-11 has a larger gasket.
http://www.wixfilters.com

Also Micron ratings vary somewhat, but I don't know if that's something brand specific.
The Wix version of the PF59 was 15 Micron, compared to 19 for the PF46.
You can go to the FRAM site to get their equivalents to other manfs. #'s.

oh really.. great. i didn't know i had one in my engine. that's even better. my thinking is one in the enigine would eb a lot better than the filter cause soesnt it flow from dirty to outlet when the filter bypasses. defeating the whole purpose of filtering.

i never thought i'd enjoy "learning".

great info
thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Arctic388:
...my thinking is one in the enigine would eb a lot better than the filter cause soesnt it flow from dirty to outlet when the filter bypasses. defeating the whole purpose of filtering....

I don't think that it really matters that much. The oil is dirty oil from the sump that's going to the filter in either case. The oil in the filter MIGHT be slightly dirtier, but it's not a huge quantity.

I think sometimes we get a little bit too anal about such things;-)

thanks

what i'm running into is the diffrent AC filters are corresponding to the same Puroltor filter.

i think the AC's are good so i might check into them to get a longer equivalent. i just started to use AMSOIL and ordered there filter but i'm having doubts about theres till i cut it open and see for myself. i will replace it with a known good Pure One then when i do the surgery i can tell if i want to order the SDF 30 which is there longer filter. oh and the cost factor makes me consider there oil but a Pure One filter or AC.

another thing is the 25288 Pure One says it doesnt have a relief valve. personally i think that is a good thing. so that measn oil never sneaks by not filtered right ?

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Arctic388:
thanks

another thing is the 25288 Pure One says it doesnt have a relief valve. personally i think that is a good thing. so that measn oil never sneaks by not filtered right ?

thanks

You ALWAYS want a relief valve. In your case, it's installed in the engine, therefore the filter doesn't require one.
If nothing else, you don't have to worry about matching up BPP when looking at alternative filters.
IF your alternative filter had a BPPV-
1. If it were a higher value then the engines BPPV, it SHOULDN'T have any effect.
2. IF equal, well equal. It would bypass 1/2 the "load".
3. IF less, it would go into bypass sooner than what the engine was designed for.

Not having a BPP in the filter is one less "system" in the filter to fail IMO.
OTOH, it would be a "Backup" to a problem that MOST likely won't occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back