$2,000 for Valve Cover on Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smc733
They're willing to do $1700 for what they call a reseal.

Yes- timing cover leaks are common on the recent Toyota engines. You're supposed to pull the engine out to reseal, but the 2zr can be done in the car with some creativity. Book time for the job is about 10 hours.

You can hold off on the job as long as the oil doesn't drip onto the belts or the passenger side axle. But it will eventually need to be done.

Even for a timing cover that's ridiculous. The book time for pulling the entire engine and putting it back in is probably closer to 10.

Don't let them work on the car.

So the indie shop is convinced the cover is fine and it's just the tensioner. They said they don't like to do them there but that it shouldn't be more than 1 hour and 50 in parts at a dealer...

So frustrating.

So the indie shop is convinced the cover is fine and it's just the tensioner. They said they don't like to do them there but that it shouldn't be more than 1 hour and 50 in parts at a dealer...

So frustrating.

Why "don't they like to do them there"? Not confident of their abilities? I'd keep looking for a decent shop. A competent mechanic rarely turns down work, especially if he's sure of the diagnosis. That sounds like something you'd hear at Midas or Monro. I'd hate to see you take a bath on the car for a relatively minor issue.

Last edited:

So frustrating.

The tensioner gasket won't fix it. That tensioner gasket is metal. I have a weep from my timing cover seal from that same area (it's where the cover meets the block/head) and I tried replacing the gasket - there was no improvement.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Even for a timing cover that's ridiculous. The book time for pulling the entire engine and putting it back in is probably closer to 10.

No it's not. $1700 is a reasonable price for that job. 10 hr of labor at $150/hr plus materials will put you right around $1700. 10 hr is about what it takes if you pull the engine out to r/r the timing cover.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

No it's not. $1700 is a reasonable price for that job. 10 hr of labor at $150/hr plus materials will put you right around $1700. 10 hr is about what it takes if you pull the engine out to r/r the timing cover.

That's a pretty steep repair for an engine of that age and mileage that is supposedly "bulletproof". Sounds like this is pretty common?

Call Toyota zone, even though its officially out of warranty it still has under 100K. Plead your case as long time Toyota owner and your disappointed that this engine needs such an expensive repair at less than 100K bla bla bla. Make sure to ask whoever it is for their help, don't demand.
They may do a partial good will repair or who knows just repair it at no cost. I have had good luck with zone reps helping people out for repairs that just shouldn't be happening e.g Honda VCM and GM N* head bolts years ago.
It cost nothing to make a call.

So if the labor rate of the dealer at $110, that would be $1,110 + parts. I could stomach $1,200 or $1,300, but much more than that I am inclined to trade up.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

That's a pretty steep repair for an engine of that age and mileage that is supposedly "bulletproof". Sounds like this is pretty common?

Agreed, I've had way too many odd repairs for this "bulletproof" Toyota, especially the heat shields that keep needing work every 6 months.

So frustrating.

The tensioner gasket won't fix it. That tensioner gasket is metal. I have a weep from my timing cover seal from that same area (it's where the cover meets the block/head) and I tried replacing the gasket - there was no improvement.

Timing chain tensioner has a rubber o ring on my 2003. Easy to fix

Originally Posted By: Leo99

So frustrating.

This is what the indie shop quoted, that its the rubber o-ring on the tensioner.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

So frustrating.

This is what the indie shop quoted, that its the rubber o-ring on the tensioner.

The shop is thinking about the 1zz-Fe 1.8L engine - the t-chain tensioner on those cars seal using an o-ring. The 2zr-Fe and the 2zr-fxe use a timing chain tensioner that seals using a metal gasket. The part # is #13552-0T020. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.

[/quote]

The shop is thinking about the 1zz-Fe 1.8L engine - the t-chain tensioner on those cars seal using an o-ring. The 2zr-Fe and the 2zr-fxe use a timing chain tensioner that seals using a metal gasket. The part # is #13552-0T020. Look it up and you'll see what I mean. [/quote]

Hmm, maybe "why they don't like to do them"? That comment from a shop would have me asking for the keys.

The shop is thinking about the 1zz-Fe 1.8L engine - the t-chain tensioner on those cars seal using an o-ring. The 2zr-Fe and the 2zr-fxe use a timing chain tensioner that seals using a metal gasket. The part # is #13552-0T020. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for this, very helpful to know!

I've found another dealership that will do the tensioner for $220 if its that, $1,100 for the cover reseal should that be the issue. They said it's almost definitely not necessary to replace the cover itself unless it was the result of an accident. $1,100 seems a lot more reasonable.

They did say its very possible that the leak could be the tensioner, which doesn't make sense given it's a metal part, but who knows...

I appreciate all the insight everyone's shared so far!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How bad of an oil leak is it?

I'm not too good at qualifying these things myself, unfortunately. I will try to look in the garage after it's been parked a bit and see what I can see.

The dealer: It's more than just seeping but not a huge leak.
Indie shop: It's barely seeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back