2.0 TDI BKD engine at 172k miles. Oil intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I have read a lot of other threads surrounding which oil is best for the TDI's (505 01 vs 507 00) and recommended oil change intervals. Granted I'm still far from being an expert and would very much appreciate some more insight on what specific oil I should use for my vehicle and when I should change the oil.

I have a 2006 2.0 TDI BKD Audi A3 six speed manual. It does not have the diesel particulate filter. I purchased the vehicle last year, December 2006 with 164k miles on the clock. The car had full Audi dealer history till 100k and independent thereafter. According to the log book it was on the long life service schedule, using long life 5w30 oil every year at around 20k miles. The engine seems fine, pulls strong and as far as I'm aware does not burn any (noticeable) oil.

At 165.5k miles (in around February this year) I changed the oil using Castrol Edge 5w30 VW 507 spec. Judging from the dip stick the oil seems thin and but looks likes its in good condition. In the past year I have done only 7k miles, 75% of which are motorway miles. The rest is short urban commutes less than 5 miles.

I conducted on online research as to which VW spec oil if best for my engine; the low SAPs 507 00 spec which seems specifically formulated for cars with DPFs or the 505.01 oil. The findings were inclusive, it seems many people from the states prefer the 505.01 5w40 spec oil as it seems to better protect the cams. People over here in the UK suggest that the 507 00 oil is actually superior in protection and wear rates over the 505 01 and that I should only use the 5w40 if my engine is burning oil, which it is not.

My circumstances have recently changed, meaning that I will only do around 3k miles/year, most of which are short
Sorry for my ramblings but seeing that I'm now approaching 172k miles, meaning I have done around 6.5k miles on the Castrol 5W30 Edge, is it due for a change? I will use the the Edge 5w40 Turbo diesel Titanium for my next oil change.

Because I have a high mileage engine, and do a lot of urban short drives, how often shall I now change my oil?

thanks all

Last edited:
The 505.01 spec is for the 1.9L TDI BEW PD engine (like in my car). I'd feel confident with the Castrol Edge 5w30, but I'd run Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (meets the 507 spec).

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The 505.01 spec is for the 1.9L TDI BEW PD engine (like in my car). I'd feel confident with the Castrol Edge 5w30, but I'd run Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (meets the 507 spec).

Sorry I don't think you're entirely correct. The 505.01 oil can also be used on the newer 2.0 TDI BKD engines made from 2003-2007 WITHOUT the diesel particulate filter

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you follow Audi recommendation of 1 year or 10,000 miles for city driving or severe service. Next service theoretically will be in February 2015, maybe you could extend it until May or June since the las 7,000 miles have been mostly motorway or normal service, which is 18,000 miles or 2 years.

507 00 is not used outside the EU because of the quality of fuel, The edge turbo diesel oil would be fine for your next interval of 1 year and 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

507 00 is not used outside the EU because of the quality of fuel, The edge turbo diesel oil would be fine for your next interval of 1 year and 3,000 miles.

That's patently untrue. The VW 507 spec is used for the TDIs in the US and Canada.

For your type of driving you should definitely be on the fixed interval regime.

If you do not have a DPF then the best oil to use is the 5w-40 VW505.01 you are using.

We change the oil at 5000 mile intervals in our 2.0TDi after noticing the engine runs noticeably rougher/noisier shortly after that mileage.

Also, always be gentle on the engine when the engine is cold operating it on really light throttles as turbo failures are not uncommon. Modern variable vane turbos spool very early so need attention during the first few miles so they warm up gently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back