1999 Tercel timing belt kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just bought a 99 Tercel this week, it's mint as [censored] but upon further inspection it has 198k km and the belt cover claims that the belt was done at 70k km. I'd like to do the belt before it snows if I can, but I could also probably arrange a garage or construct a tent or something.

I was wondering where I should get the kit, as I want all OEM. One of the kits listed on RA claims all OEM parts but I am a little concerned about getting a belt that has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time, as 1999 was the last year for the Tercel in NA and even then it was only available in Canada.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting it from the dealer, but if I can get the same parts elsewhere cheaper that would be great.

Message_1571848726472.jpg

Interference or non?

If it was me, I'd probably go onto Amazon or Ebay and look for a full kit. Water pump, t-stat, idler, tensioner, the works. I'd read up on how to do the job and see what else should be done at the same time--for example, on my 5S-FE, it's real common for the oil pump to lose the o-ring on it and to have a nasty oil when it does, and guess what's its located behind? yep, to do it is to do a timing belt.

Mine was from a place called TBK (Timing Belt Kit?) and all the parts were name brand. Aisin water pump etc. Off Ebay for like $200. Yours, it looks like the kit might be less.

I'm not sure I'd worry about a belt that has been on the shelf for 10 years. The rubber might have hardened a bit, but it's cogged so it won't slip. It sees far worse life in application. Also there are still a few of those cars around, so I doubt it's like a timing belt for say a Vega.

It's a great engine, I had a tercel 4WD wagon and put 480K Km on it and then sold it to a mechanic.
DON'T skimp on belt quality, if unsure get it from the dealer.

Last edited:
Non-interference, nice! My shoulders feel so much lighter. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get it on the road because I am getting killed by the fuel economy of my 5.0L, 4x4 GMT400.

I've done some research and it is apparently a very popular car in South Asia as it was in production longer there. So it's probably better to eschew RA and get it off eBay or Amazon. I'll check dealer prices though.

Thanks guys!

Is there a date that the last TB was changed on the sticker? If you can, remove the top cover to see the condition of the TB. I did that on my civic and left it in for another year.

The Canadian dealers will probably want $60 or more just for a belt. Have you priced out all the parts from a a GTA dealer? I'll be willing to use the Rock Auto kits.

Are you going to do the TB and water pump yourself?

Last edited:
128k km isn't that much for the newer material belts as long as it is a non interference engine and isn't making noise.
Dealers vary some are not bad but it will be more. I got old oil filters from RA but on other things like an Aisin water pump for my T100, very fresh. $47 for made in Japan Aisin water pump was good.. Not on closeout. They do a lot of business.

Originally Posted by JC1
Is there are date that the last TB was changed? If you can, remove the top cover to see the condition of the TB. I did that on my civic and left it in for another year.

The Canadian dealers will probably want $60 or more just for a belt. Have you priced out all the parts from a a GTA dealer? I'll be willing to use the Rock Auto kits.

Are you going to do the TB and water pump yourself?
I think the date was 2007. I was planning on taking a peek at some point soon, but I want to get it on the road and feel it out before I start taking it apart. I will be doing it myself, I've done a TB on a 4 cyl and it was pretty easy. I haven't priced anything out at the dealer yet. The RA kit was like $160 CAD or something like that, dirt cheap and it claims to be all OEM.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
128k km isn't that much for the newer material belts as long as it is a non interference engine and isn't making noise.
Dealers vary some are not bad but it will be more. I got old oil filters from RA but on other things like an Aisin water pump for my T100, very fresh. $47 for made in Japan Aisin water pump was good.. Not on closeout. They do a lot of business.
Yeah, It's only like 30k km over but there is no telling what quality of belt they used. I've driven it for about 3 mins but it seemed alright, it sounded like the rotors were a little rusty but if that's all I heard it should be OK. It sounds fine at idle, too. Thanks for the anecdote, it makes me feel better about that kit as it is not on closeout and they have two very similar kits by the same manufacturer.

The 96-98 Tercel should use the same timing belt kit. The Aisin kit is good, and as long as you order from Rock Auto's regular inventory, it will be fresh and not too old
smile.gif

You only get old parts when ordering from closeout parts, or for very obscure cars/parts. Your Tercel is not obscure enough for that to be an issue.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The 96-98 Tercel should use the same timing belt kit. The Aisin kit is good, and as long as you order from Rock Auto's regular inventory, it will be fresh and not too old
smile.gif

You only get old parts when ordering from closeout parts, or for very obscure cars/parts. Your Tercel is not obscure enough for that to be an issue.
No Aisin kits for my car, I checked their website.

The best thing I could find so far is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Ter...p;hash=item27e04444b0:g:nzQAAOSwCK1b6eg1 but I would still need a water pump and oil pump seal which I could get at the dealer I guess. RA only has GMB water pumps and I'm not sure about them. The vendor of the first kit also offers the kit I linked to with a GMB water pump so that might be my only option for a non-dealership part.

There is also the Contitech pro series kit available from RA:https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...3192&jsn=421&jsn=421&jsn=421 I would still need the oil pump seal from the dealer, and they never directly claim that they are OEM parts, although it seems that is has some OEM parts but for sure has a Contitech belt. I'd rather use the ebay kit than take my chances on that unless someone has experience with them.

Last edited:

+1. I'd go with RA for these reasons.

Unless you are going to do a LOT of miles (kms, sorry) this winter, I'd get used to the car and plan/discover other maintenance and do it at the same time in the spring. 128kms isn't too much to worry about doing the belt ASAP.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Unless you are going to do a LOT of miles (kms, sorry) this winter, I'd get used to the car and plan/discover other maintenance and do it at the same time in the spring. 128kms isn't too much to worry about doing the belt ASAP.

I agree with you, Get the fluids changed, get it saftied and on the road and plan your maintenance next spring. Are you getting winter tiers of the Tercel? I had a 1984 Tercel 4 speed. Replaced it with my 97 Civic.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
What happened to the VW?
Needed a new exhaust, and transmission and then I eventually damaged the master cylinder while I was servicing the brakes like a noob. It had a bunch of other problems and the only thing going for it was working A/C. Just a total heap by the end.

+1. I'd go with RA for these reasons.

Originally Posted by JC1

I agree with you, Get the fluids changed, get it saftied and on the road and plan your maintenance next spring. Are you getting winter tiers of the Tercel? I had a 1984 Tercel 4 speed. Replaced it with my 97 Civic.
I agree, non-interference engine = no rush to do the TB. However, it's good to know which kit to buy when if/when the time comes. I'm getting snow tires for sure, 13" tires are so cheap. I think it will be awesome in the snow, the tires are like 6" wide lol.

Everyone has either had a Tercel or knows someone who did! Two of my friends had them when I was young.

I bought a Continental kit for an old Isuzu engine last year. The date on the belt was something like 4 or 5 years old. I contacted Continental and they sent me a new belt gratis.

I wouldn't waste time or money looking for O.E. stuff, what's the interval for that timing belt, 60K?

Would not put off a timing belt replacement regardless it's an interference engine or not. If a belt breaks at highway speeds that is sudden, complete loss of power that can get a feller killed.

Originally Posted by ms21043
I wouldn't waste time or money looking for O.E. stuff, what's the interval for that timing belt, 60K?

Originally Posted by wdn
Would not put off a timing belt replacement regardless it's an interference engine or not. If a belt breaks at highway speeds that is sudden, complete loss of power that can get a feller killed.

Even if it doesn't get one killed, it means waiting on the side of the road for a tow. Which can get a feller killed all the same. Let alone the sudden (and unplanned) down time.

I'm sure some of the cheaper parts can last, but this job is all labor. Why do it more often than needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back