Acura 3.5 RL Timing Belt Kits (Honda C35A, ROW Gen2 Honda Legend) GMB, Conti, SKF, Dayco?

So normally I would go OE, but it is very expensive for this vehicle.

I appear to have a choice of GMB, Dayco, SKF and ContiTech I will get the complete kits with WP tensioners and seals

SKF Bearings TBK279WP - SKF Bearings Timing Belts (202 from summit racing)

Continental Belts and Hoses PP279-280LK1 - Continental Elite Pro Series Plus Timing Belt Kits (255 Summit, 189 Rock Auto)

GMB 34350279 (140 @ Rock Auto)

DAYCO WP279K1AS (146 @ RA)

Any experience with any of these here?

I sent them an e-mail but the J series is a completely different engine - totally - the RL was the ONLY car sold here that uses the C35A. Other versions were used in NSX and First Generation Legends here. All C-Series engines are conspicuously absent form that list,

Which brings us right back to my original question.

Aisin stopped making the water pump 3 years ago :poop:

The part number was WPH-042

All the aftermarket water pumps you'll find for your car are made in China, except Airtex and Carter, which are made in Mexico.
I would suggest buying the Gates kit without the WP, part #TCK279 then getting the Airtex WP along with two of Mahle #66984

Out of the choices you list SKF.

Thanks Trav

Aisin stopped making the water pump 3 years ago :poop:

The part number was WPH-042

All the aftermarket water pumps you'll find for your car are made in China, except Airtex and Carter, which are made in Mexico.
I would suggest buying the Gates kit without the WP, part #TCK279 then getting the Airtex WP along with two of Mahle #66984Thanks

Thanks Slacktide.

Not a bad idea... The OE water pump is nearly 300.00 at the usual discounters so China or Mexico just will have to do.

I’d roll the dice with a GMB pump over an Airtex or Gates.

but, IME, a Chinese pump I have on a friend’s truck is still working but getting to a point of concern. That was done almost 5 years ago.

I have used GMB quite a few times, they are good and is an OEM. Dayco and Gate tends to be aftermarket rebrand of others, not sure about SKF or Airtex in water pump for Honda.

Well short follow up.

I ordered the SKF and it was to ship today, but has not yet.

Aisin never replied to my e-mail contact.

So I got the SKF kit. It has been at my other house for a couple weeks.

The WP is a GMB - China
One tensioner is Taiwan (it also appears to be GMB)
One Tensioner is Japan (appears to be Koyo)
Balancer belt is Germany (Conti)
Timing Belt is USA (unknown)
The seals are Thailand and Mexico

I just used a Conti-tech kit on my Toyota 1MZ-FE last year. Aisin water pump, NTN idler/tensioner, and an OE Mitsuboshi belt. Good stuff. Continental got out of that business, but there should be some deals on brand new OLD STOCK kits.

Not real happy.

The balancer belt tensioner is no where near right. I probably would have realized this if I had ever had it apart before, but did not until it was time to go back together.

Strongly considering putting it back together with the original, I can have a Dayco (which looks correct in pictures) by next weekend though.

On the plus side the timing belt tensioner looks identical to OE in every way.

TensionerA.jpeg

TensionerB.jpg

Dayco tensioners came, they are correct, I'll use the Dayco balance shaft tensioner and the Koyo (SKF) Timing belt tensioner.

Well more not good news for SKF - The timing belt tensioner will not fit, glad I ordered the Dayco set.

I'll post pictures, but the tensioner would not sit flat, closed examination shows the hole (its actually more of a curved slot) is machined about half a bolt with off which was causing the tensioner to be cocked. If one had not noticed the belt would have been off in about 30 seconds and it is an interference engine. If one had attempted to muscle it in place probably would have broken the tab off of the unavailable oil pump that the engine has to come out to remove.

I'll be reaching out to the supplier to address the issue with SKF.

This is why when it comes to critical engine parts, I always bite the bullet and go OEM whenever possible. It's just not worth the risk or headache and aggravation.

This is why when it comes to critical engine parts, I always bite the bullet and go OEM whenever possible. It's just not worth the risk or headache and aggravation.

It is a 96RL , go look them up and get back to me... (hint, you won't be going OEM because you can't buy them from Honda/Acura not all of them anyway.)

But generally yes I agree and said so in the OP.

TensionerC.jpeg

Timing belt tensioner: Note the slot is almost in the center of the new one. No Bueno

TensionerD.jpeg

Recap: Balancer belt tensioner: That clearly won't work.

Back