1999 Taurus SE PS rack replacement advice.

This is a 65,000 mile wagon that I bought 2 1/2 years ago. Pump was whining then so I put in a Motorcraft rebuilt pump and it quieted down. I only drive it a few times a year and about a year ago I noticed the whine slowly coming back. Now the whine is pretty bad and the fluid level drops fast. I seem to have to top it off every day or two whenever I drive it. No leakage around the pump, but I crawled under the car and see fluid all over the cat and on the rack, although I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

1st question, if fluid is leaking out, could air also be getting in, causing that whine?

2nd question, what brand of replacement rack? Want to avoid Cardone at about $140 total cost. I see Detroit Axle sells them for $110. Would they be any good, or other brands to look at?

3rd question, what about DIY resealing? I see kits at Rock Auto from $20 to $30. Has anybody done that? I mean, I've rebuilt brake calipers, wheel cylinders, even carburetors. How hard could it be? With only 65K, the rack itself isn't worn out, just the seals and gaskets.

To see if there is air in the power steering fluid, start the engine, then shine a flashlight into the power steering reservoir. Any air in the system will show up as bubbles in the fluid.

A leak from a pressure hose isn't uncommon. I had one on my 2004 Crown Vic that was leaking enough to coat the rack with power steering fluid.

I managed to get the rack out of the car. All the videos mention a check valve in one of the ports where the hose goes, but this one doesn't have it. Is it missing? Needed?

Back