1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all. Neighbors 16 1/2 year old son came home with his first car yesterday, a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the 4.0L I6. 194K on the clock. What are the common problems of these vehicles? I only ask because my neighbor asked me and I do alot of the oil changes, tranny flushes, etc on their vehicles. Seems like a really nice vehicle, seeing as he only paid right at $2000 for it. TIA!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is this one of the model years known for disintegrating piston skirts?

Yep. Happened to my '98 XJ at 181k.

I have a 2001 so things maybe somewhat common.

1) piston skirts crack, if lucky a piece drops in oil pan, if unlucky engine stops (forever).
2) casting #331 cracked head
3) substandard Teves front brake caliper
4) failure of pressure sensor and pressure governor in transmission

Any vehicle of that age, rusted brake lines.

A ticking sound at startup that is still there when the engine is warm maybe #1.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is this one of the model years known for disintegrating piston skirts?

Yep. Happened to my '98 XJ at 181k.

At 96K to me.

Having spent $2500 on a reman engine, $1000 on 2 sets of pressure sensor/governor for transmission, $300 for upgraded Akebono caliper and $100 or so for copper/nickel brake lines here and there, I still LOVE my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Donald

These didn't come out til late '99 MY, so hopefully the OP is not affected.

This is the first time I've heard about the cracked piston skirts and cracked heads. If all of this is true (Im not saying its not at all) why is the 4.0 regarded as such a reliable motor that everyone seems to want?

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
This is the first time I've heard about the cracked piston skirts and cracked heads. If all of this is true (Im not saying its not at all) why is the 4.0 regarded as such a reliable motor that everyone seems to want?

Maybe its the Jeep around the engine and not the engine.

I think the engine was reliable, but Chrysler screwed it up. I believe they moved the rings up a little on the pistons either for fuel efficiency or pollution and that allowed more wobble when things were worn causing the cracked piston skirts.

In the cause of the #331 head, I'll bet the casting was outsourced overseas.

Cummins had an issue with a crack in the block and it was due to poor castings being done in Brazil.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

These didn't come out til late '99 MY, so hopefully the OP is not affected.

I have two Cherokees, both have the '96 4.0 engines with the 0630 head. I had one that cracked without ever overheating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the pistons.

The blend doors break.replacing th radiator is a terrible job. I do a few a month and I have them down to about 5 hrs now. The relay for the radiator fan quits.its below the passenger side headlight.

I love jeeps but I hate grands!

I have replaced radiator, distributor, spark plug wires with corrosion, headlights, and many other routine parts and it continues to crank up and go. On my third starter already.

99WJ is going to be extremely problem prone. It took them a few years to get the WJ figured out ...

-Piston Skirts
-Head cracking
-Transmission (The chrysler transmission was HORRIBLE - it's living on borrowed time)
-ECUs like to pop capacitors. If you have Sentry Key you have to spend hundreds to get it replaced
- Numerous electrical gremlins

ANY 99 WJ is going to have the 0331 head. It will NOT have a 0630 as WJs are coil on plug and need the 0331 head to mount the coil rail.

I would keep an eye on the coolant level, baby the transmission and budget for a rebuild, hope your piston skirts don't break (I have a 2000XJ, so I'm affected by piston skirts too) and get a plan for when it pop's the ECU.

Bad news is they are high repair & maintenance.
Good news is the salvage yards are full of them, so parts are easy to find.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
99WJ is going to be extremely problem prone. It took them a few years to get the WJ figured out ...

-Piston Skirts
-Head cracking
-Transmission (The chrysler transmission was HORRIBLE - it's living on borrowed time)
-ECUs like to pop capacitors. If you have Sentry Key you have to spend hundreds to get it replaced

ANY 99 WJ is going to have the 0331 head. It will NOT have a 0630 as WJs are coil on plug and need the 0331 head to mount the coil rail.

I would keep an eye on the coolant level, baby the transmission and budget for a rebuild, hope your piston skirts don't break (I have a 2000XJ, so I'm affected by piston skirts too) and get a plan for when it pop's the ECU.

When you say "Sentry key" are you referring to the "chip key"? I bought one off the internet ($15), had a locksmith cut it for a few dollars and programmed it myself. The keyfob is about $70 at a dealer.

Not every head cracks and not every piston breaks. If its got almost 200k on it chances are that it will be ok.my 02 has the updated 0331-tupy head. I'm at 144k and my pistons are ok...so far.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Not every head cracks and not every piston breaks. If its got almost 200k on it chances are that it will be ok.my 02 has the updated 0331-tupy head. I'm at 144k and my pistons are ok...so far.

+1

Originally Posted By: hsd
smile.gif

100% truth

Originally Posted By: Miller88

-Piston Skirts
-Head cracking

When you say "Sentry key" are you referring to the "chip key"? I bought one off the internet ($15), had a locksmith cut it for a few dollars and programmed it myself. The keyfob is about $70 at a dealer.

The problem isn't the key, but the computer.

When the computer pops you can buy one on ebay for a few hundred dollars, but it's going to be looking or a different key. You have to bring it to a dealer and they will have to treat it like you lost all of the keys and reprogram it themself.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: hsd
smile.gif

100% truth

Same with a 2000.

Pretty looking truck.. AVOID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back