1997 4runner oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Could probably run in on dirt and be fine.

At first, I was wondering why I'm spending so much time researching oils, when I could possibly run an inferior oil and still have a great running truck. Meh, I got to do something, might as well learn something and take pride in it.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a 1999 4runner sport with the 3.4 and 255000 miles. Previous owner changed oil every 6K miles with whatever was on sale. I pulled valve covers which were spotless except for varnish. No engine noises, runs flawlessly.

The 3.4 Toyota V6 was designed by Hino to be an industrial engine.

I am only 3K miles into ownership so I started with Shell 5W40 that i bought at Kmart on clearance. I plan on running the $2 oils that i hoarded from Autozone at 4-5K intervals.

I bought a case of toyota branded filters on ebay for around $2.50 each.

Are they Japanese? Link to seller?

I would just throw in Supertech dino for 5k mile intervals. It will suffice just fine and save your wallet and your little truck will live as long as it would on mobil1

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
I would just throw in Supertech dino for 5k mile intervals. It will suffice just fine and save your wallet and your little truck will live as long as it would on mobil1

That's what I've done since I purchased it 5 years /25,000 miles ago. Gotta love a <$18 oil change.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
IMG_20150515_171319.jpg

This is for the duel VVT-i 4.0 V6?

Why would it need a synthetic then I wonder?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This is for the duel VVT-i 4.0 V6?

Why would it need a synthetic then I wonder?

This is for the following from the manual...

IMG_20150515_154723.jpg

Originally Posted By: etc.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman

That's what I've done since I purchased it 5 years /25,000 miles ago. Gotta love a div>

Yep

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Maxlife 10W40 (Texas gets hot and that motor has clearances worn into by now), Wix filter (Napa Gold same...). 5K changes and drive on
smile.gif

I was initially looking at Wix/Napa filters, but when I was reading about them, many people didn't speak very highly of them. I think it had something to do with the media or filtration. I kind of lost confidence in them after reading that. Same goes for the Toyota filters and their construction.

Wix/Napa gold is a model filter. Every filter manufacturer In the US should take notes from them.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a 1999 4runner sport with the 3.4 and 255000 miles. Previous owner changed oil every 6K miles with whatever was on sale. I pulled valve covers which were spotless except for varnish. No engine noises, runs flawlessly.

The 3.4 Toyota V6 was designed by Hino to be an industrial engine.

I am only 3K miles into ownership so I started with Shell 5W40 that i bought at Kmart on clearance. I plan on running the $2 oils that i hoarded from Autozone at 4-5K intervals.

I bought a case of toyota branded filters on ebay for around $2.50 each.

Are they Japanese? Link to seller?

For the toyota OEM filter, $5.82 at autohausaz.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back