1996 Accord 2.2 Cooling Fan (right side) Dead

Same thing happened on my 2003 Civic, one of the fans wouldn't kick. Normally I advise proper diagnostics, but when an aftermarket fan is $20 - $30 and a few minutes to change, I just shotgunned it and all was good again.

I know that those dual electric fan assemblies can run about $400 or more, depending on the make and model.
Honda is showing separate fan assemblies for the radiator and condenser. The prices seem to be quite reasonable for aftermarket.

Hey DannyM - don't buy the VDO / Continental brand. I bought a fan motor from O'Reilly in that brand and the fan wobbles. I suspect the fan motor shaft is not perfectly straight.

The older Honda fans have a well known failure rate exhibiting the same symptoms as you described. Over the past 12 years, I have replaced radiator fans and/or A/C condensor fans in 5 Hondas in our family. The first time it happened on our 1996 Accord, I built a wiring harness with an in cabin on-off switch and tapped it directly to the fan motor plug. As soon as I saw the temp gauge rising above normal, I turned on the 12v feed and discovered the fan would not run; however, occasionally it could be "jump started" by spinning the fan with a stick.

You won't go wrong by choosing the inexpensive (Chinese-made) TYC aftermarket unit (which is about the same price on Amazon if you add the shipping charge to the Rockauto cost).

Same thing happened on my 2003 Civic, one of the fans wouldn't kick. Normally I advise proper diagnostics, but when an aftermarket fan is $20 - $30 and a few minutes to change, I just shotgunned it and all was good again.
Hey DannyM - don't buy the VDO / Continental brand. I bought a fan motor from O'Reilly in that brand and the fan wobbles. I suspect the fan motor shaft is not perfectly straight.

You won't go wrong by choosing the inexpensive (Chinese-made) TYC aftermarket unit (which is about the same price on Amazon if you add the shipping charge to the Rockauto cost).

If the motor ends up being the issue.. is it just as easy to just replace the motor with something from the list below rather than entire fan ? .. I mean since the new fan might be defective like the one Soft Cars mentioned.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...air+conditioning,a/c+condenser+fan+motor,6920

If the motor ends up being the issue.. is it just as easy to just replace the motor with something from the list below rather than entire fan ? .. I mean since the new fan might be defective like the one Soft Cars mentioned.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...air+conditioning,a/c+condenser+fan+motor,6920
For the 1996 Accord, I initially went with replacing the motor only with a unit locally sourced from Advance Auto Parts which costs ~$65. The motor did not fit 100% correctly and I had to jerry-rig the assembly to work which required grinding off some of the plastic fan shroud and splicing together the electrical plug. When the other fan failed a few years later, I replaced the entire assembly with a TYC unit for $50. It took half the time to replace the entire fan assembly...just unplug & unclip the wire and remove two 10mm bolts near the top of the radiator. Both fans are still running today.

Back