1996 Accord 2.2 Cooling Fan (right side) Dead

.. this would be the right fan (cooling fan?) as you are sitting inside the car... I swapped the window and fan relay's and window's still work fine , so not the relay.. Checked the fuse.. swapped another 20amp and it's fine..... tested the temp switch with a paperclip , turn a/c on...and only the left (condenser fan?) comes on, so this means the switch is ok but probably the right (cooling fan?) motor ? ( and by the way that left fan comes on doing this test while engine is off, key on accessory and engine is COOL) .... wire to fan looks fine , can't find any splits etc...

anything else come to mind ?

Last edited:
What happens when you turn on the A/C?

While the engine is running and a/c on, still only that left fan is running.. right just won't go on .. and the right is the one that is supposed to come on with a/c engaged.... correct ??

While the engine is running and a/c on, still only that left fan is running.. right just won't go on .. and the right is the one that is supposed to come on with a/c engaged.... correct ??
You are Correct, reread your thread and did not see that you did the A/C Thing. Goof Luck

What happened that you wanted to look at your Cooling Fans?

What happened that you wanted to look at your Cooling Fans?

Car is heating up only while a/c running and sitting idle at a light etc..... cools right off when I resume driving... so I was checking out the fans and right not coming on at all.

Car is heating up only while a/c running and sitting idle at a light etc..... cools right off when I resume driving... so I was checking out the fans and right not coming on at all.

I know the 1 Fan is not working, make sure your AC Condensor and Raduator are free of any debris.

So what happens when you take the relay out and jumper the output to the fan with 12v?

don't know how to do this.. LOL.. i am a complete novice... The relay is good because I swapped it with an identical and it works for the windows perfect.

I know the 1 Fan is not working, make sure your AC Condensor and Raduator are free of any debris.

ok will do.... I was just responding to where you asked why did I check out the fans in the first place..

don't know how to do this.. LOL.. i am a complete novice... The relay is good because I swapped it with an identical and it works for the windows perfect.
Nothing to it if you don't scare easy. :)

Get some a loop of14 ga wire with 1/4" stripped off the ends. Twist the ends then flatten so they fan out a bit and keep the strands tight as you can.

Then insert in the #30 (hot with key on) slot the other in the output Usually #87. Numbers usually on the bottom of the relay.

rrdbcai.gif

With everything off, grab the fan blades with your hand and give them a spin. If the right side is much tighter than the left one it almost certainly is the motor. These should be cheap enough.

With everything off, grab the fan blades with your hand and give them a spin. If the right side is much tighter than the left one it almost certainly is the motor. These should be cheap enough.

did it .. right actually spins a tad more easily than the left . .. and the left fan is the only one that comes on

Are you saying there's a left and right fan? Because for some strange reason, every time I go to a Honda parts website, they are showing only one fan assembly.

You should see too if the relay is getting the command signal to come on.If the jumpering works. Usually the ground on the coil wire. You can tell one of the coil terminals in the fuse block is hot with the key on. They usually jumper 30 and 86, then use 87 to ground and turn on.

I put 20 ga wire in the ground side of relay terminals the same way. Strip and jam in. Then run inside to small 5mm leds that I wire hot, no fuse. Then when the relay is grounded the led comes on.

Easy to install as they take a small hole drilled and maybe a 1/2" on room on the back side.

Are you saying there's a left and right fan? Because for some strange reason, every time I go to a Honda parts website, they are showing only one fan assembly.

Now that I look in Rock Auto.. they have two different sections..... radiator fan (which I assume is the left if you are sitting in the car) , and another section for a/c condenser fan.. which I assume is the right side.

Now that I look in Rock Auto.. they have two different sections..... radiator fan (which I assume is the left if you are sitting in the car) , and another section for a/c condenser fan.. which I assume is the right side.
OK I see now. Now it makes sense. So the driver's side is the radiator fan and the passenger side is the condenser fan?

I would think both of them are supposed to be running when the A/C is turned on.

I think what I'd do is pull the connector from the condenser fan motor and with the engine running and the A/C on, see if I had power to the condenser fan connector. If I had power going to the condenser fan connector, more than likely the motor is shot.

Back