1993 Volvo 240 Classic

As a guy who has owned over 40 RWD Volvos with the red brick engine, my advice for you is to stock up on used parts.

The Volvo dealer in my neck of the woods can't even get a full timing belt kit for the 240s anymore. A lot of Volvo specialty junkyards have gone away and the quality of Ebay parts is frankly horrific. FCP Euro is still a good source. I would look at them and Rockauto in the very near future.

If you can find a spare and have the space for it, give it a deeper dive and offer $300. Ten years from now your Volvo will likely be worth twice whatever you paid. 90s nostalgia is strong!
My mechanic and I have no issues getting OE parts.

FCP, IPD, Gengras Volvo and Greenfield Foreign Auto have everything we need including full timing belt kits.

I have a stash of alternators and starters remanufactured at Rayelco Generator, wiper motors restored by Sam Coleman at Classic Wiper Motor, power steering pumps remanufactured at Turn One in Saginaw. Or you can buy new Saginaw pumps.

These are really easy cars to maintain. With meticulous maintenance they are reliable daily drivers.

Last edited:
I had a 24x turbo two-door, I think a 1983. I made the mistake of trading it for a Merkur Xr4Ti. Cool car but I wish I'd kept the Volvo. Mine was from when they had 4 rectangular headlights with the reflector strip beneath. Better looking than the 2 giant singles at least to me. I never did anything with IPD but thought it would be cool and still do.
I drove one of those when they came out. Very fast but with turbo lag. I had one of those German Opels that Buick sold.

I drove one of those when they came out. Very fast but with turbo lag. I had one of those German Opels that Buick sold.
My aunt had that Buick. She is a cool aunt--check out her vehicle progression:

1979 Buick Opel (Isuzu)
divorce
Toyota Supra
Toyota Supra Turbo
Mazda RX-7 Turbo
1995 BMW M3 Lightweight--this was the one she should never have gotten rid of. But at the time, lack of a radio, lack of air conditioning, lack of sunroof was too much for her
2004 BMW M3

amazing she stopped in 2004, still has the M3.

Nice score! These are amazing vehicles. Here are my 2 bricks: a single owner 944 SE that got imported under the diplomat program and a 4 owner 244 that took a lot of fixing up to get running. The 244 is currently running a B cam with the GLT sway bars and upper strut brace. Slow but fun to toss around.

Waiting to find a 945T or a 745T that’s not priced insanely.

IMG_6271.jpeg

I had one for a few years in college freshmen and sophomore year. I never liked or disliked the car and honestly never got the appeal. Everyone touted safety but never “tried” that out.

Both of mine only left the family due to accidents. Both over 200k+ miles so they were totalled even though easily repairable.

Safe, solid, and durable but not stand out in any characteristic, and could stand to be better in some. Someone said "agricultural" and that's a good way to describe the weaker points. Reasonably priced, as well, before the brand tried to go upmarket.

I think people looking for the same things now buy Subarus, which fit the same mold, even down to the less than fashionable "styling."

My aunt had that Buick. She is a cool aunt--check out her vehicle progression:

1979 Buick Opel (Isuzu)
divorce
Toyota Supra
Toyota Supra Turbo
Mazda RX-7 Turbo
1995 BMW M3 Lightweight--this was the one she should never have gotten rid of. But at the time, lack of a radio, lack of air conditioning, lack of sunroof was too much for her
2004 BMW M3

amazing she stopped in 2004, still has the M3.

Some people like cars. I knew a lady like that.

Supras, of course, are now prized.

Few people wanted the LTWs when they were new. Despite being limited run (~120 or so made), they sat in dealer showrooms for a while. Now…someone here asked whether "modern" cars were collectible. They are desirable, even if not like the crazy market for nice E30s.

I had a good chat with an FD owner at a car wash a couple years ago. 90s were a time when all the Japanese brought their A-games and made cars like it, the Supra, and 300ZX. He also owned an older Ferrari, and had just as much fun in the RX-7, but wifey thought he had too many cars. Fun to drive, but had a hard time finding someone who knew how to work on it, and parts were scarce as well, having to scout and import from Japan and elsewhere.

I'd be partial to a 745T in the metallic blue. Always loved that color, as well as BMW's Estoril Blue.

Back