1993 Volvo 240 Classic

If you ever saw the amount of rust proofing on these cars from the factory you’d understand why they really did not rust much. I was a Volvo tech back in the late 80’s, early 90’s and I would have to soak my sockets in parts cleaner solvent periodically to clean off the undercoat. It was literally so thick you could not see the heads of some of the bolts.
The only things to keep up on are the PCV ( has a brass “flame trap”) which need to be replaced regularly to prevent the rear front seals from popping out. Keep an eye on the water pump for seepage and they tend to break the right motor mount frequently….I think more because the oil filter dumps oil right on it when you change it. The large round fuel filter canister under the car next to the main fuel pump is a 30,000 mile item, I was always amazed at the amount of dirt that came out of them @ 30K.
The heater blower fan is a giant pain if you need to change it too.
My experience across 4 2x4's (2 240s, 2 264's) was they always rusted behind the rear wheel wells where the mud flaps were. They also wanted to rust at the rear door corners. The first was a 1975 so the fenders were also shot...those cars did not have the plastic cladding like this one, nor the molded mud flaps. Curious, why don't cars have mud flaps today, style, or function? Trucks have them...

I had an '86 740 Turbo with a 4MT + OD. A great car with seats that were even better.

After 18 years of salt exposure it developed a bit of rust (right front fender and right rear quarter panel). It also ate exhausts. The exhausts broke off right in front of the back muffler (twice on trips). But here's the thing - when you buy a Volvo OEM exhaust part it's guaranteed forever. Or it was then anyway. They eventually came out with an improved exhaust that looked like it wouldn't break.

When we were in Winnipeg our Volvo repair guy there replaced the water pump a couple of times. When we moved back to Edmonton it failed again. Our repair guy there said to never use anything but a Volvo OEM water pump. He was right. It was more expensive but it never failed again.

Volvos are great cars. Congratulations.

I had a 24x turbo two-door, I think a 1983. I made the mistake of trading it for a Merkur Xr4Ti. Cool car but I wish I'd kept the Volvo. Mine was from when they had 4 rectangular headlights with the reflector strip beneath. Better looking than the 2 giant singles at least to me. I never did anything with IPD but thought it would be cool and still do.

Congrats!

When that car came out, I was a young buck, driving a 1979 264 GLE. Thought it was a beauty.

My thing with all of my 3 Volvos was I always went with an OE exhaust. Actually never replaced the exhaust afterwards. The one time I went Midas, rusted out in about 18 mos. The one on the car appears to be aftermarket...looks like crimps in order to curve the tailpipe to the left (or could be wrong). Maybe there is no longer an OE but maybe there's something at IPD.

edit: this may be overkill but might be same price as OE

The OE exhaust is still available. As are two SS versions from IPD and Swedish Car Parts.

Someone is driving it to you? in winter? and it’s going to see road salt?

Surely it isn’t that expensive to store it until summer, out there in CA?
It’s is crossing the country on a big rig with my trustworthy driver Andrew.

Very nice! Only thing better would be 5 speed manual transmission. I love those clunky bastards. Vrooooom!
I have owned both the 5 speed manual and the automatics. I prefer the automatic. 5 speed gears are tall: lots of shifting. But they excel on the highway with an easy 30 mpg.

I am restoring a 1993 5 speed now. See previous post in this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 6
My experience across 4 2x4's (2 240s, 2 264's) was they always rusted behind the rear wheel wells where the mud flaps were. They also wanted to rust at the rear door corners. The first was a 1975 so the fenders were also shot...those cars did not have the plastic cladding like this one, nor the molded mud flaps. Curious, why don't cars have mud flaps today, style, or function? Trucks have them...
The mud flaps were a Volvo trademark!

The mud flaps on my 240 wagon were missing the outer corners courtesty of a teething puppy… I bet that car had more useful cargo space than a lot of crossovers now on the road. I could transport everything I needed to and from college with the rear seat folded down, including a twin bed.

Aside from a couple rear mufflers, my 740T also went though a couple of air mass meters, but was otherwise solid, including a 200k mile oil-cooled original turbo. But since it was an early model, the oil filter extension, and thicker radiator had to be retrofitted.

I had a 1979 264GLE like @John105 in this thread back in 1994. Built like a bank vault, I enjoyed that car until the V6 went into its death throes (camshaft - PRV must have made them from pencil leads).

Couldn’t sell it, so I donated it to a local technical school. No idea if they ever got it figured out. 😎

Ended up replacing it with a 1987 Plymouth Grand Fury police car I got for $900.

I had a 1979 264GLE like @John105 in this thread back in 1994. Built like a bank vault, I enjoyed that car until the V6 went into its death throes (camshaft - PRV must have made them from pencil leads).

Couldn’t sell it, so I donated it to a local technical school. No idea if they ever got it figured out. 😎

Ended up replacing it with a 1987 Plymouth Grand Fury police car I got for $900.
Mine was black, with blue velour and headrests in the rear. The factory mirrors were the same as the 7 series BMW at the time, which distinguished the 264 GLE as the top of the line. I personally liked the Bertone coupe. I loved my 25 finned aluminum rims with the center caps!

Found these online, not my actual car, but looked the same. Big bumpers, no air dam. 6 panel rear tails which were problematic as the circuit board corroded regularly.

I delivered Dominos and had a Thule rack. One night I drove into a hospital parking lot that had a chain draped across the entrance. There was enough slack so the chain went over my windshield and grabbed the Thule arm, and bent the rain gutter. Remarkable how strong the unibody was. I drove it 1990-1998, until I got my first car, the 98 Maxima SE 5 speed.

p.s. just realized, the incident with the chain, was on my 1978 264 GLE, not the 1979. That one did not have the 6 panel tails, it had the old style tails. Also blue velour and rear headrests, black exterior. Different factory rims for 1978. Same lousy PRV engine haha

the differences between the 1978 and 1979, remind me of the LS430, 2001-2003 vs 2004-06

1707836853341.jpg

1707836697240.jpg

Last edited:
Rustproofing or not, those things were rust magnets here in Chicago. Safety inspections (if we had 'em) would have taken many of them off the road.

I had one for a few years in college freshmen and sophomore year. I never liked or disliked the car and honestly never got the appeal. Everyone touted safety but never “tried” that out.

Glad you found a nice one.

As a guy who has owned over 40 RWD Volvos with the red brick engine, my advice for you is to stock up on used parts.

The Volvo dealer in my neck of the woods can't even get a full timing belt kit for the 240s anymore. A lot of Volvo specialty junkyards have gone away and the quality of Ebay parts is frankly horrific. FCP Euro is still a good source. I would look at them and Rockauto in the very near future.

If you can find a spare and have the space for it, give it a deeper dive and offer $300. Ten years from now your Volvo will likely be worth twice whatever you paid. 90s nostalgia is strong!

I had an '82 245 diesel. Drove it to 250k until the motor seemed to lose compression and wouldn't start anymore. I had been running it on waste veggie oil cut with kerosene. Exhaust smelled like french fries. Still have my '92 940 turbo wagon.

All around great cars.

Back