1993 Volvo 240 Classic

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
Just purchased this from an enthusiast in SoCal. One owner, all records, 101k.

The Classic badge designates the last 1600 240s made before production ended in May 1993. Only two exterior colors were offered on the Classics. Burgundy and teal/green. For some reason burgundy is rare in the US.

These pictures were taken with dew on the car. The paint is in excellent condition.

The car is enroute now with my trustworthy driver Andrew.

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone is driving it to you? in winter? and it’s going to see road salt?

Surely it isn’t that expensive to store it until summer, out there in CA?

Thats a great score, such a wonderful car. Simple and somewhat crude is some aspects but that is the appeal. This thing is just broken in. The B230 is good for a quarter million miles without breaking a sweat, as is the Aisin Warner transmission.

Congrats on such a delicious find.
My BIL sold his '93 DL -bought new- to my B....in 2005-2006.

His was what I thought was "blue-black" with blue cloth interior.
All the black came off with buffing leaving a gorgeous, comic strip blue car.
My brother's eyes popped out of his head when he came by to fetch it.

He had a driver's door card to replace (broken map pocket) and added a genuine Volvo metal center arm rest -a great option.
He replaced the suspension bushings.
I kept it lubed and belted. Replacing old vacuum hoses with silicone ones was the only mod.

I think of that car often. Also, a guy on my street had an older 240 and smashed it at 249,XXX miles.
Best of luck with yours.

Someone is driving it to you? in winter? and it’s going to see road salt?

Surely it isn’t that expensive to store it until summer, out there in CA?
If you ever saw the amount of rust proofing on these cars from the factory you’d understand why they really did not rust much. I was a Volvo tech back in the late 80’s, early 90’s and I would have to soak my sockets in parts cleaner solvent periodically to clean off the undercoat. It was literally so thick you could not see the heads of some of the bolts.
The only things to keep up on are the PCV ( has a brass “flame trap”) which need to be replaced regularly to prevent the rear front seals from popping out. Keep an eye on the water pump for seepage and they tend to break the right motor mount frequently….I think more because the oil filter dumps oil right on it when you change it. The large round fuel filter canister under the car next to the main fuel pump is a 30,000 mile item, I was always amazed at the amount of dirt that came out of them @ 30K.
The heater blower fan is a giant pain if you need to change it too.

If you ever saw the amount of rust proofing on these cars from the factory you’d understand why they really did not rust much.
I’m sure it does, but if you have seen how they salt our roads… and what it does to cars on every exposed metal surface… and the ones you can’t see either… you’d have my apprehension about owning anything nice.

Wow! One can see certain elements of several classics in that beautiful automobile! From the RR to the Toyota Crown even my 1981 Datsun/Nissan 810 Maxima which I should have kept! When you get her settled in would love to see some pics of the others in your sig!

I’m sure it does, but if you have seen how they salt our roads… and what it does to cars on every exposed metal surface… and the ones you can’t see either… you’d have my apprehension about owning anything nice.
Yes, I’m in the northeast myself. Volvos still always help up well around here.

Excellent example from an out of the rust belt car. Seen one guy put a bunch of miles on one of these with that color. I know this may sound silly but I wonder if this car has an airbag? Just trying to figure out the time Volvo started putting them in.

Excellent example from an out of the rust belt car. Seen one guy put a bunch of miles on one of these with that color. I know this may sound silly but I wonder if this car has an airbag? Just trying to figure out the time Volvo started putting them in.
I believe airbags were included in 1990. Steering wheel only.

Very nice! Only thing better would be 5 speed manual transmission. I love those clunky bastards. Vrooooom!

Congrats!

When that car came out, I was a young buck, driving a 1979 264 GLE. Thought it was a beauty.

My thing with all of my 3 Volvos was I always went with an OE exhaust. Actually never replaced the exhaust afterwards. The one time I went Midas, rusted out in about 18 mos. The one on the car appears to be aftermarket...looks like crimps in order to curve the tailpipe to the left (or could be wrong). Maybe there is no longer an OE but maybe there's something at IPD.

edit: this may be overkill but might be same price as OE

Last edited:
Very nice! Only thing better would be 5 speed manual transmission. I love those clunky bastards. Vrooooom!
because my first cars including the Volvos all had fixed calipers, the first time I went to do brakes on my 1998 Maxima, I said huh? What are these, how come they look like that? :giggle:

Back