1992 Geo Prizm Auto Trans Fluid Never Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the plugs with Autolites last week. I knew I should have sprung for the NGK's. I also had to change the cap and rotor. The cap came with new wires, and all the parts are from BWD. I had to change the valve cover gasket and plug seals because the plug seals were leaking. I used black rtv in t he corners by the cam caps. Hope that doesn't screw the seal up when i take the cover off again.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Jason, if you haven't already picked up the parts for the T-belt.
Check out RockAuto.com, they have great parts for cheap money.
You can get everything you need for $75.00 Shipped.

Also if you haven't already done them I would spring for a set of plugs. These things don't run right unless they have a set of Denso, or NGK plugs. They'll run you $1.50 Each. And Finally one word of caution. When doing plugs, aftermarket wires tend to rip. Even with 3000 miles on them. I've had it happen myself on my
'91 Corolla All-Trac Wagon. If they are factory wires than you are all set. But if they are aftermarket, then just have a set ready. (They are one piece with the cap) Also when you order this stuff just make sure to do it under a '92 Corolla otherwise they won't list the Denso plugs.
These are great cars and you will get many years out of it.
I got 293k out of mine before I sold it.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Justin

No problem, just use rtv on the cam caps again when you reinstall.
(This is actually what the manual says to do everytime you remove the valve cover.
I would still change the plugs out to Denso or NGK. It will cost you less than $10.00 and your wires are still new enough that you can change the plugs. Toyota's don't run well on anything but Denso, or NGK. And you can get the right plugs anywhere.
It may run ok now on the autolites, but give it a few weeks and it will start to give you problems.
Did you get my response to your question about the cam seal ?

Let me know how you make out.

Justin

Sent you a PM.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
No problem, just use rtv on the cam caps again when you reinstall.
(This is actually what the manual says to do everytime you remove the valve cover.
I would still change the plugs out to Denso or NGK. It will cost you less than $10.00 and your wires are still new enough that you can change the plugs. Toyota's don't run well on anything but Denso, or NGK. And you can get the right plugs anywhere.
It may run ok now on the autolites, but give it a few weeks and it will start to give you problems.
Did you get my response to your question about the cam seal ?

Let me know how you make out.

Justin

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Good to know about the Denso and NGK's.

Exactly. My car is starting to shudder under a heavy load when it switches into second gear and I am accelerating a little heavily. Its starting to do it in 3rd now too. Wonder if its the Autolites. I've run a whole can Seafoam through the intake with these new plugs, and a whole can of Seafoam through the tank too. Now I'm on some Lucas Injector Cleaner (5oz bottle i think). Also need to change the 248k mile fuel filter today also LOL. I bet that thing is dirty as [censored].

I would try new plugs and go from there.
The fuel filters are very difficult to get to on these engines.
Also Toyota went to lifetime filters at some point in the early to mid '90's. Try swapping the plugs, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Justin

Update: I have drained and refilled twice now. No problems so far. I will drive on this for awhile and drop the pan and change the filter and clean the pan. Maybe in a month or so.

Thats good. Don't go overboard with one fluid. With the age/mileage of the vehicle, EVERYTHING needs looking into. All hoses(brakes/coolant) are risk failure points. Fuel/air filters should be replaced. Plugs/wires(cap/rotor too) along with all belts.... should be looked into. Even the forgotten thermostat should be changed. Even out your maintenance budget across everything.

Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
Update: I have drained and refilled twice now. No problems so far. I will drive on this for awhile and drop the pan and change the filter and clean the pan. Maybe in a month or so.

glad to hear it!

Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
I'm still undecided about all this. I get mixed reviews everywhere I ask.

I'm sorry guys. I guess I'm scared because I did this once on a 74 Monte Carlo that I got from my parents when I turned 16. The car was 16 yrs old too with 63k miles. My dad had used it to tow a 21 foot boat for several years too. The fluid was never changed, so I took it upon myself to have the pan dropped and change the fluid. 2 weeks later, the transmission burned up.

I just put 16 hours of work into removing the severe oxidation from the paint, shampood the interior, repainted the bumpers, etc. I'd like to drive this thing for a couple of years.

Not changing it is driving me crazy! Thinking about changing it scares me however. I'm worrying like an old lady over here LOL. What to do, what to do?!?!

LOL I am doing the exact same thing right now with mine 100k no change I am aware of its running good do I change it or leave it be, I want to change it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back