1992 Ford Ranger Brake Fluid Type

What type fluid for 1992 Ranger's brakes? I have some DOT 3 and some synthetic DOT 4 on hand. What should I use? Have no idea what is in there already. Thanks!!!

You can use either DOT 3 or DOT 4 with no problem
smile.gif

I wouldn't use old plastic bottles, so use something recent or a metal can. How old is the fluid you have on hand?

All brake fluid is synthetic, there is no such thing as "conventional brake fluid" It is all manufactured to variousa military specs. Which is identified by the dot numbers.

+1. "Synthetic brake fluid" is marketing hype. It's all created synthetically. It can't be distilled from crude oil or any other natural substance.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
All brake fluid is synthetic, there is no such thing as "conventional brake fluid" It is all manufactured to variousa military specs. Which is identified by the dot numbers.

Huh... That interesting to learn....

Today you taught me something I didn't know.

That's pretty cool.

You can mix and match DOT3 and DOT4. DOT4 is basically the same as DOT3 but has borate esters added to raise the boiling point somewhat. It's best to use fluid from a sealed bottle only as brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air.

As far as I can remember, brake fluid has always been synthetic. I do notice some brands specifying "SYNTHETIC" on their container.

Back