1991 Toyota Previa - Can it be reliable?

Hundreds of them used as campers in NZ. Mechanics hate them, but they really do the miles no problem. You can get narrow and wide body...I guess in the US you would only get the wide ? I can't put up a photo because I'd get banned...but Google Wicked Campers. This is another outfit using them.

yivj1rchfpe41.jpg

Hello everyone,

I've got an old Toyota Previa 1991. I was in a discussion with a family member about the old clunker. The discussion was in regards to a recent breakdown the Van had on the freeway. The breakdown was entirely the fault of my inept DIY acumen. I had failed to secure a radiator hose in its respective holding bracket. Eventually the radiator hose contacted the radiator fan, severed it, and caused a pull-over situation on the interstate. I believe the reliability of the old van is not in question. I've owned the van for over 6 years and never had a mechanical failure. I drove the thing out from California to Michigan a few years ago, without any problems. In addition to it being a 90s Toyota, I also invested about $3000 worth of parts and labor into it. New engine mounts, new clutch, flywheel, belts, water pump, and new bushings all around. The parts list is quite extensive. It is the smoothest runner I've owned. No vibrations at all on the interstate, and a quiet idle.

Is it unrealistic to assume just because it is a 90s Toyota that it will be mechanically reliable? Would you treat a 90s Toyota Pickup 22re as nearly reliable or even as reliable as a modern car with preventative maintenance? My Previa has received impeccable maintenance. The valvetrain is so clean, you could eat off of it.
If it's not rusty, I would have no trouble trusting it. Friend had a 92 (93?) Previa...he replaced it at 250,000 miles. Six years later, it's still running, probably over 300K.

I'm sure it can be exceedingly reliable with proper maintenance. Probably as much so as any new vehicle. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time and that is not to be blamed on the vehicle.

I daily drove a 1966 Dodge pickup for years, still drive it occasionally. Over the course of a couple hundred thousand miles it never once left me stranded. I wouldn't say a vehicle's age has much to do with reliability, more so with parts availability. Do frequent inspections and address small problems before they become big ones.
This is a typical BITOG. There is no way a vehicle pushing 200,000 miles is reliable as a new one. You believe that I have some swamp land in the Rocky Mountains to sell you. As a matter of fact-with that have shaft that drives the accessories that thing is known for breaking.

I have had two. When they were new.

Mileage? As good as Toyota’s are, it’s still a 30 year old vehicle.
So?

Kinks worked out, infant mortality done, parts that were going to fail failed and were swapped.

Now you’re just amortizing the same per mile cost as any newer car with original or replacement parts.

All good until from a mechanical, body integrity, etc reason, it’s not worth repairing.

I drive early 80s MB diesels. 1990s trucks (including one with well over 400k). Modern vehicles. It’s all about how well you baseline maintenance, how trustworthy you find your vehicle, and how well you keep it. And being prepared for an issue in any vehicle.

I’m a huge fan of the previa. If you like it and it suits your needs, I would drive it until the failures begin to increase in frequency. If you worry a lot, get AAA and carry a cel phone. That gives you some peace of mind.

This is a typical BITOG. There is no way a vehicle pushing 200,000 miles is reliable as a new one. You believe that I have some swamp land in the Rocky Mountains to sell you. As a matter of fact-with that have shaft that drives the accessories that thing is known for breaking.

I have had two. When they were new.
I can't state anything specific to a Toyota Previa, as I have not owned one. But I've had several vehicles with over 200,000 miles, and a handful with 300-500k, and none of them have ever broken down on me. Several of my customers are in the same place. That's not to say they haven't needed repairs, but with upkeep they were all extremely reliable. I'm meticulous about my maintenance and except for sudden failures I never let things get to the point of a reliability issue.

On the other hand, both of the new 2019 Fords I owned broke down and left me on the side of the road with less than 10,000 miles on the odometer. One had the engine replaced TWICE.

A vehicle can be as reliable as you want it to be, so long as you put the work into it.

I should also point out that the Previa is the last of the RWD mini vans. As much as I like my Sienna, FWD is terrible on such a heavy rig. We used to off-road our old Previa and it never got stuck. Also awesome in the snow with some weight in the back. Vastly more fun to drive in the snow in an empty parking lot and just let her spin donuts to her heart's content.

My only beef with the RWD Previa is that the engine is super weak for those heavy rigs. It can almost be dangerous trying to pull out into heavy traffic with those, even with the gas smashed through the floor board.

Don't let age fool you. Proper maintenance is always key. The vehicle that consistently comes through to save our azz every winter is our 1993 c1500. Having something old, simple, cheap, even just for backup is a great idea.

Older vehicles need more attention because everything is old, and the manufacturer doesn't really have an incentive to help you keep it going way past its life expectancy, but they can be perfectly fine daily drivers too. It helps that you've owned the vehicle a while and kept it up.

If you're worried about it, the answer is to save up for a replacement and be ready to buy something else when the time comes. I wouldn't replace it just because a family member gave you a hard time about it over something that was installer error, but I would always be prepared to get alternate transportation for a vehicle that has exceeded it's expected life. As someone who typically drives older vehicles with in excess of 200k, I like to have two around.

I daily drive a 1997 Explorer with over 220k miles on it, and while I do put away money for whatever the next vehicle will be, the Explorer really doesn't give me much reason to worry. It has actually held up extremely well (not even a rip in the seat cloth, original floor mats with no holes, etc) and aside from the styling and some light body damage, it's hard to believe it's 24 years and 220,000 miles old. Its backup is my 2002 Ranger with 250,000 that I have owned long term (bought in 2008 with 49k) and still use weekly, but is in rougher condition than the Explorer. Manufacturers really did produce some great vehicles in the 90s, and many have far outlived their intended lifespan.

Keep the van, save money, know that it probably won't last forever, and think about what you want to get next. Keep in mind you could lose it in a wreck any day. That was the fate of my last ancient, high mileage Explorer...it had nothing to do with its age or miles.

My only beef with the RWD Previa is that the engine is super weak for those heavy rigs. It can almost be dangerous trying to pull out into heavy traffic with those, even with the gas smashed through the floor board.
There was a supercharged version for people like you.

My middle son just bought one from a postal carrier. It has 173 K on it and has a unique sliding passenger seat that is of value to a rural postal carrier. His runs good and is in very good condition. The person he bought it from was a postal carrier and took good care of it. His has AWD.

Because of the mid-engine layout I was curious about safety ratings... 1 star driver/4 star passenger frontal crash.
Is that the rating from back in the day, or compared to today's vehicles? Safety ratings is a bit of moving target.

Hundreds of them used as campers in NZ. Mechanics hate them, but they really do the miles no problem. You can get narrow and wide body...I guess in the US you would only get the wide ? I can't put up a photo because I'd get banned...but Google Wicked Campers. This is another outfit using them.

yivj1rchfpe41.jpg
I’ve seen those Wicked campers in the US but they are using the E-150 or Dodge Grand Caravan. It’s now Jucy or something else these days.

I’ll say this, the Previa was more awesome than the Sienna. Keep it. Old 1980s-1990s vans are now becoming a cult classic, more so with the VW Vanagon(T3 Transporter).

Things happen, I had my fair share of screw up that leads to big breakdown. You had it and know its reliability, and it is one of the better build reliable van out there. However there is limitation to it as you probably know by now (i.e. engine access from inside the van instead of under the hood) and front crash safety rating vs newer design. If you like it and it can be fixed with not much money I'd fix it and keep driving till rust get to it.

Is that the rating from back in the day, or compared to today's vehicles? Safety ratings is a bit of moving target.
In absolute term, real "mini" van outside of US having nothing in the front to protect you in a crash means you either lose both legs knee down if you are lucky, or you are dead instantly if you are lucky, or you have brain damage for the rest of your long life if you are not lucky. This is why nobody in the developed world build something like this after the 90s. They are still wildly popular in rural China, Indonesia, Africa, etc and other 2.5 to 3rd world area when income is low and it is still cheaper than a scooter.

Back