1990's Kubota G2000 HST Lawn Tractor with 48" mower deck

Hey Guys! I am being offered the above tractor for $1,500. Everything seems to be in working condition and comes with an additional front snow plow, tire chains and rear tire weights in addition to the 48” mower deck. I didn't get the exact year off of the engine so not sure about the exact year. Just saw that the owner's manual was printed in 1990.

I neglected to check how many hours are on it but the guy that is selling it, is the seller of a house I am about to purchase. He bought it from the original owner 5 years ago and everything seems in good shape. It’s kept in a huge Amish built shed so it's not exposed to elements, has the original manuals, original wheel covers on all wheels, he washes it often so it’s on pristine shape for as old as it is. He has told me that he recently replaced the battery, alternator, oil change, rear differential fluid , spark plugs and belts. The guy is an auto mechanic who works on old muscle cars and seems to take care of his things from what I've seen thus far.

From the little information I’ve read online, these are heavy duty, Made in Japan tractors, that have a reliable liquid cooled 3 cylinder gasoline powered 21hp engine and hydrostatic transmission. (They also came in Diesel form and all wheel steering that this one is not equipped with.

My dilemma is, should I buy it for $1,500 or buy a new cub cadet for $2,300 plus depending on the model.

This Kubota is probably better quality than the newer built tractors but requires more maintenance with coolant, rear differential fluid and all of the other maintenance items that this has that air cooled tractors sold at Home Depot do not.

What would you guys do? I believe the guy (previous home owner) who is selling me this and don’t believe he is trying to push on a complete turd. I was the one that inquired about the tractor as well. He’s moving into a condo and would not be taking it with him.

I've attached a photo off of the internet but the tractor looks just like it.

Attachments

• kubota.jpg
    kubota.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Well based on the history this one has, you could buy it, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, sell it for even money or a slight profit.

I just Googled that mower and found 2 listings, $3000 and $3500, of course I just looked at the prices and nothing else.

He's going to have to move it if you don't buy it, correct? Count offer $1250.
He’s got a truck and trailer. I don’t really want to be that guy with him. He’s leaving us a lot of good stuff with the house without charging us anything.

I was the one that inquired about the tractor.

If you take care of it, it will still be running when the cub is being crushed at the scrap yard. Home center riding mowers wont handle a plow or any ground engaging implement, heck some wont handle a steady diet of hilly yard. The fact that he just changed the HST fluid as a normal fluid change puts it miles ahead of anything under 5k right now.

I’d get the Kubota for sure since it includes the plow, weights and chains. I’m not familiar with that particular model but I’d wager it’s built better than anything new sub $3000.

Made in Japan tractors, that have a reliable liquid cooled 3 cylinder gasoline powered 21hp engine and hydrostatic transmission.

I'd buy it, right after I made sure I could get parts for it. People like to rag on box store mowers/tractors but one thing they have going for them if a popular brand is inexpensive plentiful parts. Sure they'll need them more often, but that's comparing new vs new not new vs a quarter century old.

I would get the Kubota, like others have said. Despite its age if it was as well kept as you claim it will be twice the tractor of a new $2300 one.

Of coarse it’s always a gamble buying a 30year piece of equipment but I would get it and take that chance. Especially if your able to take care of a possible future repair yourself.

Zero turns killed the value of most
lawn tractors. I have a few bigger Kubota's and the prices are not so great these days. But they are solid and repair parts and service in my area are very reasonable.

Get the Kubota. Don’t let age bother you especially if it was well taken care of. I mow my place with a 40 year old Kubota. It just takes forever and unfortunately it didn’t receive the best care prior to me.

You sure it’s a 48” deck? I thought they only offered it in 54 and 60”. My dad has a G2000 4WS with a 60” deck and it is an absolute mowing beast. It doesn’t struggle at all. Dad bought his not running for $500. It was a bad battery terminal.

He also has a G1800 4WS diesel with a 54” deck he bought new. 16 hp I believe.

The G2000 is a much tougher machine. When I bought my house, the PO stopped mowing it weeks prior. We took the 2 mowers to the house and I couldn’t keep up with my brother on the gasser.

With the rear end fluid, my only concern would be whether or not the PO used Kubota UDT fluid. For that reason, I’d change it. $40 worth of fluid. $30 for the Kubota filter, but I’ve had good luck with the WIX equivalent. It just doesn’t have a magnet.

If you buy it, grease everything. PTO shaft u joints and front axle pivot especially. I think the mower belt tensioner takes grease too. Arguably (IMO) the weakness of these machines...

The only thing I was going to mention is the stamped decks are most likely not avail. Once the shell rots out there is no replacing it. Check with the dealer to see if you can still order it.

That is not all bad news as there are expert fabricators that can keep patching yours but at some point the shell will reach end of life long before the rest of the tractor.

Back