1985 MB 190D 2.2

Where's your sense of adventure? Live a little and take some risks in life.

72A25ACD-98CA-4548-88E2-EBC6B8F6831A.jpeg

EC1C4F93-949F-4D85-AB13-B1DBAE83266F.jpeg

5CE5A83C-BA65-4386-9EB3-7C4D26567E2F.jpeg

19FBA89B-ED91-4347-A785-3CF2DC8352C9.jpeg

I think I’m having a bit of adventure…

E961D86A-0295-4657-BA1F-95A31D63AA71.jpeg

E7FB86CF-9A0C-42C3-98AD-5C315961B637.jpeg
4E28230E-7FF4-470B-B991-4EC7C418793F.jpeg

Yes, the fuel gauge was replaced. PO went through everything with great detail. I have all the original papers. I also have the original section of the cluster, because he kept everything. He had to recap the clock, but never got around to it on the fuel gauge.
Yeah that definitely went through my mind… even if I stayed on the southern route across, going up the I-95 would be a craps shoot for road salt from NC north.

Don’t talk about unobtanium parts until I get to the waypoint where I drop the car to the hauler!!!

I’ve got a trunk full of parts, another rider, two gallons of water, a gallon of oil, luggage, etc. it cruises at 70+ on flat ground effortlessly and smoothly. It will lose speed on the big grades uphill, long climbs, but it’s no big deal, I just stay with the trucks that do the same. It does better than the trucks climbing.

I haven’t taken it to 80. It’s not geared for that. It has 72 hp. But it will do 75 on the interstate. Ideal cruising is 65-72 because the RPMs are up there. I don’t drive 80 ever. I get it some roads (I90 in SD comes to mind) have an 80 MPH limit, but it’s not for everybody. So it’s moot.
Have you ever seen/driven the mythical '87 190 TD?
Its like the Diesel 190 Cosworth 🤷‍♂️

The pictures are stunning 🥰

The seller let you drive it away on his plates?
In CA, the plates stay with the vehicle. I have the pink slip and bill of sale, so it transferred to me.

I have SD temporary ones too. So I’m legal both ways.

In CA, the plates stay with the vehicle.
Hard to believe any states still let you do this. Someone could drive around for years until the tags expire without ever registering it and of course without any insurance. And what if you get in an accident with another car? I'd think the other driver would sue the last registered owner.

Hard to believe any states still let you do this. Someone could drive around for years until the tags expire without ever registering it and of course without any insurance. And what if you get in an accident with another car? I'd think the other driver would sue the last registered owner.
As I said, I have a bill of sale and other temp tags. If I didn’t have either of these in case of an incident I’d suspect that police would have other bigger issues. It’s not like I have the owner’s insurance cards.

So you are driving it home and not shipping? Maybe you are sight seeing first I suppose.:unsure:

As I said, I have a bill of sale and other temp tags. If I didn’t have either of these in case of an incident I’d suspect that police would have other bigger issues. It’s not like I have the owner’s insurance cards.
Speaking in general, not you specifically. Some people here would just drive on the previous owners tags and never get it registered.

Didn't you post about shipping it? https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/terminal-to-terminal-car-shipping.362490/
You already paid to fly out there and you would pay to fly back in addition to paying for shipping it back at well over $1,000. As long as you are there, why not just drive it all the way home? $250 in fuel and $100 for 2 nights in a motel.

People especially working professionals likely with kids have different value on their time and time off. The “unboxing” is worth it acquiring it and the initial glee drive. After that ….

Stunning sights. Always wanted to drive out to the other coast and see what the rest of the country looks like.

People especially working professionals likely with kids have different value on their time and time off. The “unboxing” is worth it acquiring it and the initial glee drive. After that ….
Exactly. This was fun and an adventure, flanked by work and family duties. I take work very seriously, and so even though I was off, I ended up having to do some virtual meetings on Friday. Plus, this isn’t a family vacation so I’m not just going to take off and disappear for a week.

All in all it was a great success. The car loves to run fast. A few minor things need to get worked out. But the car runs smooth, clean, and 72 hp was no problem with two adults and a trunk full of stuff.

I did have to get tires in LV. I knew going in I’d need to when I got home. Wasn’t expecting to do on the trip. They have 2013 date codes. But I saw shrapnel in a tire when I stopped in LV.

3796407D-FFA5-4311-A9BD-F4A776D91F35.jpeg

The car is specified for 175/70-14 tires. It was wearing 185/75-14 tires. I called around and was able to find 185/70-14 Douglas All Season tires in the Henderson, NV Walmart and they installed them immediately. That’s good because ai was uneasy about going 1300+ miles on that, though the old defenders were great.

I’m very happy with these Douglas All Season tires, especially for $58 each.

A26D5539-83FB-4D95-BCB1-BF8C20B81411.jpeg

827B738E-462E-465A-8B09-1E7D1E20D120.jpeg

I tested with my gps speedometer today, and found that the different size is about 4 MPH off (low) at 70. The old tires must have been even more off.

So I can confirm that this car will do 80 admirably with two adults and stuff. Not fast acceleration, but faster than trucks, and just fine for most everything.

Cute baby Benz. (y):love:

Please get the car rust-proofed (not only underside, but all cavities as well). Rust is the only thing that can kill these...
Yeah I have a pretty big collection of w123/124/126, and this 201. They all live in garages and don’t see snow/salt, and rarely rain. They do get dusty…

An oil/lanolin spray is in order of this one anyway.

Back