1985 MB 190D 2.2

JHZR2

Staff member
If I think back to when I first became car aware, maybe 6th grade, I remember that one of the first cars I wanted was an MB 190E 2.3. I became a diese fan after that, and finally pulled the trigger.

I picked up a 1985 MB 190D from its original owner, in CA. Original blue CA plates. The only thing not original is the head unit. It was repainted, due to years of life spent in LA. Perfect straight body, original glass including windshield. R-12 AC blows cold. Dash has no cracks, seats all look like new.

Has a 2.2L 4cyl OM601 diesel, making all of 72 hp. Has been cruising nicely along the I5. I do think I’m sometimes getting a stacked 2-3/3-4 shift. But nothing much to sort out. Comfortable ride, though it’s a small car. I put lots of miles on an E30 BMW so I’m kind of used to it…

73C7029E-5795-4B89-A45F-F6A668CE4533.jpeg
F91EF720-D0BF-4418-93CC-A81BD8A8F83D.jpeg
6B9FF175-77F6-4821-9944-736FED2601D8.jpeg

544422F9-DB71-4BF0-B6FF-030AC82AD451.jpeg

Taking an extra long weekend to get the car part way back east. Will be interesting to see how well it does on fuel!

Last edited:
Very nice. I have an 84 300d and the transmission is controlled via vacuum and a cable. Definitely important to verify the integrity And specs of the transmission vacuum system if it has that sort of system. I’m unfamiliar with the 190s

Very nice. I have an 84 300d and the transmission is controlled via vacuum and a cable. Definitely important to verify the integrity And specs of the transmission vacuum system if it has that sort of system. I’m unfamiliar with the 190s
Same with all the older (pre 96) diesels. Bowden cable and vacuum modulator.

Taking an extra long weekend to get the car part way back east. Will be interesting to see how well it does on fuel!
Didn't you post about shipping it? https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/terminal-to-terminal-car-shipping.362490/
You already paid to fly out there and you would pay to fly back in addition to paying for shipping it back at well over $1,000. As long as you are there, why not just drive it all the way home? $250 in fuel and $100 for 2 nights in a motel.

I love that blue on the exterior and that particular color on the interior is pretty nostalgic for anyone that grew up in the 80s/90s. Looks similar the blue Ford used on their interiors in the late 80s/early 90s.

How's the MPG?

I like it. There was a guy here in Milwaukee that had one of those along with an old(er) 6.9. He owned a popular disco back in the day.

Didn't you post about shipping it? https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/terminal-to-terminal-car-shipping.362490/
You already paid to fly out there and you would pay to fly back in addition to paying for shipping it back at well over $1,000. As long as you are there, why not just drive it all the way home? $250 in fuel and $100 for 2 nights in a motel.
That’s not really part of the conversation. Other commitments and timing factor in as well. It’s all good.

By the license plate the car was registered in California in the later winter or spring of 1985. How do I know? I bought a new bimmer in January 1985, and it's plate started with "1LMX."

Very nice find! I can't see one of these cars without thinking about this article. The title picture was of both cars' front ends with the emblems swapped. My mom has just bought her SEi.
Screenshot_20230209-170527-048.jpg

I know of two 190E's that lost a front wheel, and one of them did it twice. Pretty unusual. One was fairly new and the other was less than 10 years old at the time. And those two 190E's account for 2 out of the 3 cars I've ever heard that lost a front wheel.

I was actually going to buy one of them as a second car but (based on my friend's experience) asked if they had ever lost a front wheel. They gave me an odd look and said, "Well yes as a matter of fact we have, but why do you ask?"

I'd suggest you check those front wheels very carefully.

By the license plate the car was registered in California in the later winter or spring of 1985. How do I know? I bought a new bimmer in January 1985, and its plate started with "1LMX."
I bought it from the original owner… bought it for his wife from a dealer in LA.

If I think back to when I first became car aware, maybe 6th grade, I remember that one of the first cars I wanted was an MB 190E 2.3. I became a diese fan after that, and finally pulled the trigger.

I picked up a 1985 MB 190D from its original owner, in CA. Original blue CA plates. The only thing not original is the head unit. It was repainted, due to years of life spent in LA. Perfect straight body, original glass including windshield. R-12 AC blows cold. Dash has no cracks, seats all look like new.

Has a 2.2L 4cyl OM601 diesel, making all of 72 hp. Has been cruising nicely along the I5. I do think I’m sometimes getting a stacked 2-3/3-4 shift. But nothing much to sort out. Comfortable ride, though it’s a small car. I put lots of miles on an E30 BMW so I’m kind of used to it…

View attachment 139523View attachment 139524View attachment 139525
View attachment 139526

Nice car .... simple and straightforward. Some nice pics, too ... good lighting.

It's been a while since you've been on the road, eh?
Pretty sure he stays in seedy motel 6s. I like classic Americana motels, but the better ones weren’t $50/nt before all the inflation.

Back