1985 MB 190D 2.2

Pretty sure he stays in seedy motel 6s. I like classic Americana motels, but the better ones weren’t $50/nt before all the inflation.
When I'm on the road, I just want a room with a nice bed, TV and bathroom. I'm not paying more for the ambiance or the free coffee and donuts breakfast of a more expensive place. Plenty under $50 motels when you drive away from larger cities.

And a 6,000 rpm tach. You sure you got a diesel under the hood? Or did somebody convert a gas car?

Every single one of my MB diesels, OM617/601/602/603 have 6000 rpm tachometers. The governor on the OM601 is set to run up to 5150 rpm. Max power is around 4200rpm IIRC.

Does the note below the fuel gauge read “premium unleaded fuel only”?
Yes, the fuel gauge was replaced. PO went through everything with great detail. I have all the original papers. I also have the original section of the cluster, because he kept everything. He had to recap the clock, but never got around to it on the fuel gauge.

Yes, the fuel gauge was replaced. PO went through everything with great detail. I have all the original papers. I also have the original section of the cluster, because he kept everything. He had to recap the clock, but never got around to it on the fuel gauge.
That might bug me seeing UNLEADED FUEL ONLY on the gauge all the time. Are you going to look for the correct one?

When I'm on the road, I just want a room with a nice bed, TV and bathroom. I'm not paying more for the ambiance or the free coffee and donuts breakfast of a more expensive place. Plenty under $50 motels when you drive away from larger cities.
I’ve stayed at a few. Some mom and pop places are well kept but more money. I was paying $63.50/night at one five years ago. The much cheaper places often have more issues and safety concerns. Been to a few of those too.

That might bug me seeing UNLEADED FUEL ONLY on the gauge all the time. Are you going to look for the correct one?
I have the original. I may recap it when I have time.

Or find another. I’ll need to look into interchangeability.

It bugs me but I can live with it for the foreseeable future.

Didn't you post about shipping it? https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/terminal-to-terminal-car-shipping.362490/
You already paid to fly out there and you would pay to fly back in addition to paying for shipping it back at well over $1,000. As long as you are there, why not just drive it all the way home? $250 in fuel and $100 for 2 nights in a motel.
Road salt. Unless this is his new winter beater, or a flip job, he'd be foolish to drive it under winter conditions. Plus, what's he going to do if it breaks down and he needs an unobtainium part to get going?

How is it at 80?

I'm not sure I'd want to drive something like that home, over the Rockies, on a timetable.

Although the car is far from new these MB's seem to age very well. Nice piece of iron that was taken well care of & from an area not prone to rusting out. Nice Find!

Well what kind of oil is in it? What oil are you going to use? Does it have a turbo?
No turbo. I have a giant file of all maintenance since new but I’ll have to go back through.

I topped off with Delvac 1300. I’ll probably run that or Delo. I’m impartial to HDEO brands but those are the ones I have an abundance of. I was surprised to see Delo more expensive than even Rotella when I was shopping at a WM in NV for oil.

Car is burning no oil that I can discern despite a lot of high speed climbing and operations >3500 rpm.

Road salt. Unless this is his new winter beater, or a flip job, he'd be foolish to drive it under winter conditions. Plus, what's he going to do if it breaks down and he needs an unobtainium part to get going?
Yeah that definitely went through my mind… even if I stayed on the southern route across, going up the I-95 would be a craps shoot for road salt from NC north.

Don’t talk about unobtanium parts until I get to the waypoint where I drop the car to the hauler!!!

How is it at 80?

I'm not sure I'd want to drive something like that home, over the Rockies, on a timetable.

I’ve got a trunk full of parts, another rider, two gallons of water, a gallon of oil, luggage, etc. it cruises at 70+ on flat ground effortlessly and smoothly. It will lose speed on the big grades uphill, long climbs, but it’s no big deal, I just stay with the trucks that do the same. It does better than the trucks climbing.

I haven’t taken it to 80. It’s not geared for that. It has 72 hp. But it will do 75 on the interstate. Ideal cruising is 65-72 because the RPMs are up there. I don’t drive 80 ever. I get it some roads (I90 in SD comes to mind) have an 80 MPH limit, but it’s not for everybody. So it’s moot.

We would love some Engine Pics if you can. 🤤
You know... see the belly of the beast!
9857FBA9-FA9B-4EFA-82A8-0AF5B089B140.jpeg
5D944E10-FD5E-4510-AE21-E156B4B7311E.jpeg

Back