1980's oil can find

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mother in Law just moved into a new Condominium and I found the following old oil cans in the garage. I remember fighting with the punch at times and the cardboard would collapse making a mess. Enjoy!

Dave

API SB

The punch spout

Late 80's I am guessing:

Nice find!
Are these still full?

I dare you to use them in your car
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I remember fighting with the punch at times and the cardboard would collapse making a mess. Enjoy!

Or have some gorilla handle them during the trip to the store and a can (or more) would leak before it ever got out of the cardboard shipping box.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Nice find!
Are these still full?

I dare you to use them in your car
wink.gif

They are full. One of the newer plastic bottles is about 1/2 full. Might send it for a VOA.

Nah, not gonna use them, I will clean them up and put them in my office for a conversation starter...

Dave

I'm going to put on my "art critic's" hat.

Those oil cans/bottles aren't old enough to look good as office decor.
Don't get me wrong, I'm good with the conversation starter angle. They'll look kinda lame in an office.

We never got those cardboard cans, but did buy some Pennzoil once for a motorcycle, and it was in a cardboard can. I thought [censored], cardboard with metal ends?...? I don't remember how I opened it, but wasn't impressed.

Yea man!!!! Good memories. Glad we changed to better bottles.

Put them on you shelf at work or sell them on ebay. They, meaning some folks, collect that kind of stuff out there.

Gotta be worth a few bucks to the right soul.

Oh yeah, I remember those, the cardboard cans. I worked at a Mobil station from '73 to '81 and that's what we had. The gold can of 10W-40 Super was the most popular. At that time 10W-40 was considered the "best" motor oil you could get. The blue and silver Regular was what the cheap folks would buy. We had SAE30, and 20W-20, although I could never figure that one out. There was also a 10W-30 Special. It came in a gold and white can if I remember correctly. It was priced between the Super and the Regular, but it was probably a better oil by today's standards (less additives to stretch the viscosity).

There was a little bit of skill to inserting the spout. You had to do it with authority, too slow and the can could collapse. You'd keep an eye out for ripples or dents in the cardboard can wall. You'd avoid piercing the can over that weak spot. "Schloop" that was the sound they made when pierced.

I think the cardboard cans were more '70s and the plastic cans were more '80s. I don't remember the plastic cans being used while I worked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back