1980 STP 10w-50 Oil Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this vintage 1980 ad for STP 10w-50 Oil. I love how they claim 15,000 miles. Did any of you use this back in the day?

I had a rebuilder working for me that always said STP stands for Stop Those Pistons..lol

Years back when i just got my license i used stp oil treatment and thought it was great...lol

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
And some here saying that oils were so bad back then that going 5k miles between oil changes is a voluntary death of an engine.

True Ford in Europe already spec'd 6k mile oil change intervals, and that is on Group 1 mineral oils that probably sheared like [censored].

I tried the stuff in a Volvo, instead of 10W 30, and based upon oil pressure gauge observations, the stuff sheared quickly. It would be interesting to find out who made the stuff. I still have a can somewhere in storage, I 'll have to take a look.

I remember seeing it at K-Mart in the mid-Seventies, when I was first driving and learning how to work on my Ford. As I recall it was a bit more expensive than the Quaker State I was using -- QS was .55/quart. The STP was .60 or .75, something like that.

My favorite ad for this oil is the one that shows how clean your engine would be if you use this for 15k miles; and it shows an oil pan coated in thick, dark brown-black goop...lol!

I posed the question of who made this a while ago, and a poster on here thought it was Atlantic Ritchfield that made this oil...FWIW. It was around at the exact same time as Arco Graphite (late 1970's to early 80's), so maybe it was them trying to gain market share...

Mobil 1 originally claimed a 20k interval when it was first introduced, they dropped that claim not long after. Me personally, I don't care how good an oil is, it's not staying in my engine longer than 7-10k at most! The climate I live in and varying driving conditions make me a believer in regular oil changes, no less than twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back