"My other car, a '78 Silver Anniversary Edition Corvette is off limits!"

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!! Shark fan here.

Me and the Shark
beccas18th038.jpg
corvettejpgm2cEMI.jpg

Hey Aspen you`re a HAWTY!!!!!!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Nice ride! Bumble bee from the Transformers?

The previous owner is a Transformers fanatic. He had the car painted to look like Bumblebee after the first movie came out. Sad for him that he hit hard times and had to sell it but happy for us.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'd get rid of the foam Edelbrock air cleaner on the Camaro and put on something like a 4" (tall) assembly that will take a paper element. Will give you better filtration. Won't look as cool, but as you can imagine, that's not really the point of the filter
wink.gif

Anyone else concur? All advise is very welcome!

Yes and no. I have seen the foam from the edelbrock air cleaners break down and get sucked down the carb on fairly hot street motors. The problem is the edelbrock intake depending on which intake you have could be taller then stock. To fit an air cleaner under the factory hood you either use a low profile filter like you have or a drop base filter.
afc-80550_w.jpg

I would fix the important problems 1st then worry about the filter. The air cleaner on your vette is a drop base. You need to determine how much clearance you have between the carb base and the hood before you buy anything or the hood may not close. OEM filter bases are normally a drop base.

I prefer the full crinkle dress up kit myself.
pro-141-758_w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cast into the intake is the name of the model if you are worried about it. Looks like a Performer to me, it could be a Performer RPM or even the newer EPS though. Hard to tell with the small pic size.

Originally Posted By: Aspen7
I'd get rid of the foam Edelbrock air cleaner on the Camaro and put on something like a 4" (tall) assembly that will take a paper element. Will give you better filtration. Won't look as cool, but as you can imagine, that's not really the point of the filter
wink.gif

YES! get rid of that air filter. plenty of horror stories of them catching fire. you want a drop base 14" round filter. a 14x 3 filter 'should' clear the hood no problem, 4" will not. if you don't have a speed shop by you, get yourself a summit catalog (summit or jeg's are the biggest names in mail order speed equipment).

car looks better than I expected (and I didn't expect you to be a chick either! I always assumed all of us OCD oil people were guys!) but underhood is a different story. I'd be concerned if it will pass emissions testing by you, as it looks like most all of the emissions related stuff has been removed.

It's nice to have women in this forum. I hope you'll stay around for a bit.

Years and years ago, a good friend of the family had an Anniversary 'Vette just like yours. It was blocking our driveway when she was over, and we needed something for dinner. My dad and took it for a quick 'spin' to the store - it was a blast!

Another thing to watch out for on those Camaro's is the doors - they are very long and heavy, so they can start to 'sag' if the hinges wear out or rust. I've seen a lot of Camaro/Firebirds of that vintage with doors that don't 'match up' properly....hopefully if the bidywork was done right on that car, it won't be an issue....

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Cast into the intake is the name of the model if you are worried about it. Looks like a Performer to me, it could be a Performer RPM or even the newer EPS though. Hard to tell with the small pic size.

You're right, it's a Performer RPM

My, my, what nice cars. The wife and I are way older than 18, but would have no problem at all being adopted.
grin2.gif

I concur with everyone on the air filter, change it out.

You're right, it's a Performer RPM

The RPM is about 1/2 inch taller then the Performer so the factory air cleaner may not fit under the OEM hood but a deeper drop base will still fit. What I am I saying a OEM air cleaner
33.gif
would be lipstick on a pig. A dress up kit is the way I would go.

Measure twice buy once.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
wink.gif

YES! get rid of that air filter. plenty of horror stories of them catching fire. you want a drop base 14" round filter. a 14x 3 filter 'should' clear the hood no problem, 4" will not. if you don't have a speed shop by you, get yourself a summit catalog (summit or jeg's are the biggest names in mail order speed equipment).

car looks better than I expected (and I didn't expect you to be a chick either! I always assumed all of us OCD oil people were guys!) but underhood is a different story. I'd be concerned if it will pass emissions testing by you, as it looks like most all of the emissions related stuff has been removed.

The current filter clears the hood by what looks like about an inch or a little more so a 4" definitely wouldn't fit.

Only 7 of Colorado's 64 counties require emissions testing (Denver and the surrounding area)
The rest of us can make all the pollution we like :)
57.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Years and years ago, a good friend of the family had an Anniversary 'Vette just like yours. It was blocking our driveway when she was over, and we needed something for dinner. My dad and took it for a quick 'spin' to the store - it was a blast!

Another thing to watch out for on those Camaro's is the doors - they are very long and heavy, so they can start to 'sag' if the hinges wear out or rust. I've seen a lot of Camaro/Firebirds of that vintage with doors that don't 'match up' properly....hopefully if the bidywork was done right on that car, it won't be an issue....

Yes, I'll be sticking around! Looks like I've found a great group of knowledgeable guys who seem happy to lend automobile advise...and I know my daughter and I are going to need a lot of advise now that we have the Camaro
crazy2.gif

The Camaro's doors do sag a little when they're fully open. It's not enough to show at all when the doors are closed. That has me worried, so I've told my kids to be very careful with them! There's no rust so the hinges must be getting a little worn out. Suggestions???

Originally Posted By: Johnny
My, my, what nice cars. The wife and I are way older than 18, but would have no problem at all being adopted.
grin2.gif

I concur with everyone on the air filter, change it out.

If you two are willing to be my full time Kiddy Wranglers for my daycare kids (so I spend my days enjoying long country drives) I'll be happy to adopt you both
grin2.gif

I would have no problem with that, but the wife just retired after 36 years of teaching so I'm not sure she wants to wrangle anymore kids.

Yes, I'll be sticking around! Looks like I've found a great group of knowledgeable guys who seem happy to lend automobile advise...and I know my daughter and I are going to need a lot of advise now that we have the Camaro
crazy2.gif

The Camaro's doors do sag a little when they're fully open. It's not enough to show at all when the doors are closed. That has me worried, so I've told my kids to be very careful with them! There's no rust so the hinges must be getting a little worn out. Suggestions???
there is a pin and bushing kit made to fix that, very common. you need to go to this site http://www.nastyz28.com/
besides the forums for help, the advertisers will give you a source for stuff. I also belong to http://www.pro-touring.com lots of inspiration there.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would have no problem with that, but the wife just retired after 36 years of teaching so I'm not sure she wants to wrangle anymore kids.

Oh my gosh NOOOO she would NOT want to deal with them. She's been there and done that long enough. 36 years of teaching....I have the highest possible respect for your wife. Teaching is a special calling that takes the courage of a lion and the patience of Job.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

there is a pin and bushing kit made to fix that, very common. you need to go to this site http://www.nastyz28.com/
besides the forums for help, the advertisers will give you a source for stuff. I also belong to http://www.pro-touring.com lots of inspiration there.

I appreciate that :)
It would be a shame to ignore the slight sag until eventually the doors are bad enough that it shows when the doors are closed.

The current filter clears the hood by what looks like about an inch or a little more so a 4" definitely wouldn't fit.

Summit lists the height of a Pro-flo at 3.5 inches from the carb flange so if you do have 1 inch above that then you have plenty of room for a number of air cleaners.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Hard to tell with the small pic size.

Here are some closer views of the engine. I wish some of you guys could actually get under the hood and look it over. We're taking it to a garage next week for an oil and trans fluid change, quotes on the problems we know it has and any advise they might have. I can only hope they're honest! It would be easy for them to tell us there are problems that don't even exist. Any advise they do give will be ran by all of you first before I tell them to go ahead with repairs.

002JPGoTZbQH.jpg

001JPG5rrmoK-1.jpg

003JPGfWoOnF.jpg

006JPG5bOMJA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back