1975 Datsun 280Z oils ?

Hi, I've been watching for some time now, and I recently bought my 1975 Datsun 280Z with the 2.8 liter engine, and I was wondering about 10W/30 motor oils, and it seems the logical route to go, and I'm asking your thoughts on Shell Rotella 10W /30 diesel motor oil, I wanted something that could take some of the built up soil and long-term old contaminates, as I believe Rotula has a good detergent package as it is intended for diesels, yet many here use in in conventional ICE engines. This engine has only gone 500 miles in the last 9 years. Your thoughts ?

Last edited:
What’s Rotula? Use any oil with a sufficient HT/HS and a winter rating appropriate for the expected starting conditions in your area. As long as a 10W winter rating is appropriate then a 30-grade is also likely sufficient.

Either Rotella Triple Protection/T4 conventional 10W30 or (my cold weather fleet oil favorite) T5 10W30 synthetic blend would do a good job in that engine. Need some pics, always loved those (& their 240Z predecessors).

Hi Ward, Does your Z car still have the factory fuel injection system? If so, please make sure you use some kind of fuel stabilizer if you dont plan on driving the car often. These systems were complex back in the day, but if they are well taken care of, they work pretty well. Many owners get tired of them and often switch them out for some Weber carbs. Just curious as I am sucker for the styling and handling of a well cared for Z car.

Yes it is about 97% original car, and I'm sort of crazy about keeping this car as original as possible. And I was wondering as to the extent of 'Zinc' in any recent or new motor oils, which is why I chose the Rotella 10W/30 grade ?

Hi Ward, Does your Z car still have the factory fuel injection system? If so, please make sure you use some kind of fuel stabilizer if you dont plan on driving the car often. These systems were complex back in the day, but if they are well taken care of, they work pretty well. Many owners get tired of them and often switch them out for some Weber carbs. Just curious as I am sucker for the styling and handling of a well cared for Z car.
It's very basic Bosch fuel injection.

The L28 will live a long happy life on anything from 0W-30 to 20W-50.

Yes it is about 97% original car, and I'm sort of crazy about keeping this car as original as possible. And I was wondering as to the extent of 'Zinc' in any recent or new motor oils, which is why I chose the Rotella 10W/30 grade ?
High ZDDP levels are only required for the initial break-in of flat tappet engines with high spring pressures.

I ran Kendall's Super-D III 15W40 in my 240Z (long ago, well before Kendall was bought out by others). I tried various 10W30s, and they were fine, but offered me nothing more than the 15W40 that was already on-hand for the tractors, trucks, and pickups.

This 45-year-old engine will be so happy with anything available today, it'll last even longer than it would have on strictly 1975 oils, which would have been (was) hundreds of thousands of miles with the cylinder crosshatch still clear and effective.

Back