1966 Chevelle

I envy the career you had. It is the trail I hoped to end up on but with two young sons early I had to jump when other opportunity knocked.
I had the chance of good paying industrial work and had to take the security + benefits. Made 30 yrs there only to be forced out due to health issues. For my loyalty they saw to it I left with a very generous early retirement/health ins package. Lots of places just toss folks after years. A shame. Only got to do cars for fun on the side and to help friends and family in my limited off times. Never charged for my repairs only for the parts with the request they pay it forward if / when they could by helping others. I have a real supportive wife who encouraged my lust for cars + boats even though I could not afford the big cui/high horse monsters that are in the unobtainum price range. You know about that. Collected the ones we liked the looks of and did no racing. I rebuilt some but once we had them right, liked to obsess over the detailing , riding , cruising and car shows. Owned (5) collectors. Chevys - 72 Malibu / three 76 Chevelle S3 models (1 stolen not recovered) / 72 Cutlass I curse myself still about selling in the 80s! Even an 86 Monte Carlo SS (stolen - recovered - stolen - never seen again!) I kick myself a for passing on a super rare Pontiac (one of my favorites from the smog era) 1977 LeMans Sports coupe Can Am with 19,000mi. To me one of the neatest looking of the 70s.
I have 2 buddies who did almost all you did. Once they gave up the wrenches , One ended up Parts + Service Manager for Chevrolet (retired) and the other became one of Chevrolet's top salemen in the gulf south region (retired now too). They both made good $$$ and got out before all the auto company melt downs / buy outs / lay offs etc....
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a full rewarding life. Yes cars have always been a major part of my life too. I retired with 34 years and have been working part time for almost 8 years. The boat thing is a whole different story. Sounds like similar interests for sure. Some would say I’ve “wasted” a lot of money (cars & boats) but that’s subjective in my opinion. My family has enjoyed all of it with me. My kids turned out great (4 granddaughters!) and I have the same wife for 43 years. The good Lord has definitely blessed me.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a full rewarding life. Yes cars have always been a major part of my life too. I retired with 34 years and have been working part time for almost 8 years. The boat thing is a whole different story. Sounds like similar interests for sure. Some would say I’ve “wasted” a lot of money (cars & boats) but that’s subjective in my opinion. My family has enjoyed all of it with me. My kids turned out great (4 granddaughters!) and I have the same wife for 43 years. The good Lord has definitely blessed me.
You too. I very much enjoyed your story. Dont deserve it but feel we were blessed too. I have to remind the wife once in a while. We are not rich with money , yet decent savings , zero debt , comfortable and want for nothing. Many less fortunate / lucky ? all around these days.
Funny, our work lives different but interests and hobbies + family life almost identical. Same wife 44 years. God blessed us with two sons close in age. Also (3) grandkids. I did pay for son's private school 12 years + their colleges. Never one ounce of trouble with either son. Think the good Lord had his hand in that cause I know for a fact we cant take all credt. You and I a year apart means we were lucky and experienced a great time to grow up and enjoy those teen years. Especially if a person was into cars , racing , music hunting, fishing and lots of things. I often wish the grandkids had more access and interest to things other than Ipads / cell phones / social media / video games etc... Oh well. Take care.

If it happens, I’ll be in the market for sure! (y) Edit: just researched a bit on the proposed new Chevelle. Starting at $150,000 I’ll most likely sit this one out!:oops:
WOOF! I see I wont be having one. Wife wants another house. So my car hobby etc.... has been shut down especially at our ages. At least she helped and let me enjoy my many toys (cars + boats) when I still worked. Happy wife = Happy life. No guarantees though! Use caution. ;)

You too. I very much enjoyed your story. Dont deserve it but feel we were blessed too. I have to remind the wife once in a while. We are not rich with money , yet decent savings , zero debt , comfortable and want for nothing. Many less fortunate / lucky ? all around these days.
Funny, our work lives different but interests and hobbies + family life almost identical. Same wife 44 years. God blessed us with two sons close in age. Also (3) grandkids. I did pay for son's private school 12 years + their colleges. Never one ounce of trouble with either son. Think the good Lord had his hand in that cause I know for a fact we cant take all credt. You and I a year apart means we were lucky and experienced a great time to grow up and enjoy those teen years. Especially if a person was into cars , racing , music hunting, fishing and lots of things. I often wish the grandkids had more access and interest to things other than Ipads / cell phones / social media / video games etc... Oh well. Take care.
Wow. I guess there are duplicates in life. Sent my son and daughter to private school and paid for their college also. In my young years (1970s) If I wasn’t banging on a car I was fishing or hunting. All my music came from my buddy’s 8 track tape setup that he could copy tapes. Bootleg I reckon! I too worry about the granddaughters and their future. Not preaching cause I don’t like to be preached to but I pray these kids have at least the opportunity to live and grow up with good lives like you and I have been blessed with.

Lots of bad choices. Stupid wheels. Stupid tires. Stupid lowering that prevents proper steering capability and ability to navigate a driveway. That car should be on 60 series tires to look right. And should be able to turn lock to lock without rubbing or other issues. Great looking body work and paint. Sounds good. But way too many wrong choices.

Steal a name from a legendary Ferrari, stuff a torque monster into an A-Body. And make that A-Body beautiful.
The 1st gen GTOs are some of the most beautiful cars ever made.

The car is beautiful. The wheels, no. I would have Chevy Rally wheels on it if it were mine.
That cam lope reminds of engines I have built in the past.

Attachments

• RW.jpg
    RW.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
Steal a name from a legendary Ferrari, stuff a torque monster into an A-Body. And make that A-Body beautiful.
The 1st gen GTOs are some of the most beautiful cars ever made.
Driven movie: The movie and the book are about the man who broke GMC Corporate rules (with secret inside help from some GM execs) to develop and build the GTO while GM had started to attempt to back away from racing and all the running wild hi horsepower wars that were being waged by the Big Three- Ford / GM / Mopar. The man was John Delorean and he always admitted he did in fact "steal" the name from his hero. The GTO came right after pontiac released a car called the Pontiac Tempest Sprint (rare today and sought after) with a OHC revolutionary stright six 4bbl engine that used a drive belt (kind of unheard of at the time). Delorean even invented and produced two experimental cars he named the Pontiac Banshee (real nice) that were to be sister car to the Chevrolet Corvettes. GM almost fired him for that stunt and those two exp cars were grabbed up and stashed away for several decades and finally around 2000 some way they got out into the public to private owners who show them all around the country.
https://www.curbside.tv/blog/2017/7/7/1967-pontiac-tempest-sprint-one-owner-overhead-cam-six
166570712.TAvchxRr.jpg

4ceb95912e14c8ae06bd3be8fe9d1435.jpg

1964-Pontiac-Banshee-1.jpg

Last edited:
That chrome louvered air cleaner was what came on the 4bbl Carter AFB carbs of the 64 thru 67 goats. I am not sure when the Q-Jet was used.
I had a friend with a 67 or 68 FirChicken with the OHC6. I never drove it, but you can imagine it could have made sense for many cars.
I love Pontiacs.

That chrome louvered air cleaner was what came on the 4bbl Carter AFB carbs of the 64 thru 67 goats. I am not sure when the Q-Jet was used.
I had a friend with a 67 or 68 FirChicken with the OHC6. I never drove it, but you can imagine it could have made sense for many cars.
I love Pontiacs.
LOVE Pontiacs. Me too. I kick myself today I somehow missed out owning Pontiacs while I was collecting Chevys and even an Olds. Yet no Pontiacs. Buick even had some amazing muscle cars that slipped by a lot of folks who didn't realize back then just like me. Never forget cruising down an interstate in my 1972 Olds Cutlass I see this car coming up on me from behind and I thought for certain "ok, I like this. A Chevelle about to over take me. I want to get a good look." Mouth fell open in shock when it got near me and slowly passed. I see a rear deck lid with a spoiler! I sped up and to the shock the emblems said Buick GSX! This was in 1978 or 1979 and I found out since that Buick had long been selling its own muscle cars and one was named the 1970 Buick GSX Stage1. That car had the biggest cui engine GMC ever put in any mid size car - a 455 cui ram air engine. Those cars were said to have been able to beat almost anything they faced on the tracks. Some years later I read a story about a Buick GSX Stage1 becoming famous for whipping a Road Runner with the 440 Six Pack engine and another Mopar with the vaunted 426 Hemi beast. If rich I would run out of space as I would try to collect every muscle car made from about 1966 to 1976!

Last edited:
Back