1966 Chevelle

Saw a really cherry '67 GTO convertible almost like this one but burgandy in the local Lowe's parking lot. Wanted to stop and chat with the owner but I was in a hurry and already late.

GTO.jpg

I had a 1966 Marina blue Muncie 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 4:11 gears, L34 396/360 in High School. I outran every GTO, 442, Duster, Challenger and Roadrunner I ever raced. A guy came looking for me one Friday night who had a brand new 69 DZ 302 Z28. Well he found me and I beat that little small block like a rented mule! From a 10 mph roll I jumped him bad in first and never looked back. I could see his headlights bounce when he caught a gear but I was laying the wood to him and it wasn’t even close! I did lose to a 428 Ford Torino Cobra by a fender and a Boss Mustang 429 (semi Hemi) by 1 car length. What a great time to be 17 years old!

1966 + 1967 lots of folks favorite body styles. Me too. Very slight difference between the two that you really have look good to notice. The hood power bulges (wish they were real for ram air) are different and some small changes around the lights is about it.
I don't know about those wheels, otherwise a really sharp ride. Is that a factory color? Love it.
That does look very close to a couple factory colors from then. Silver pearl or Slate. You can tell when they rebuilt it they also lowered it quite a bit
which I dont care for doing to any vehicle. To me it takes away from the great stance the originals had.

I had a 1966 Marina blue Muncie 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 4:11 gears, L34 396/360 in High School. I outran every GTO, 442, Duster, Challenger and Roadrunner I ever raced. A guy came looking for me one Friday night who had a brand new 69 DZ 302 Z28. Well he found me and I beat that little small block like a rented mule! From a 10 mph roll I jumped him bad in first and never looked back. I could see his headlights bounce when he caught a gear but I was laying the wood to him and it wasn’t even close! I did lose to a 428 Ford Torino Cobra by a fender and a Boss Mustang 429 (semi Hemi) by 1 car length. What a great time to be 17 years old!
Oh yeah. Those 396 / 428 & 429s could tend to make one need to change pants after some rides! Pin you to the seat for sure. You know it. I keep hearing that Chevy has been trying to design an acceptable new Chevelle to be released in the next 2 years. They keep re-designing / cant agree on the body. Been in the works some time now.

They keep re-designing / cant agree on the body. Been in the works some time now.
If it happens, I’ll be in the market for sure! (y) Edit: just researched a bit on the proposed new Chevelle. Starting at $150,000 I’ll most likely sit this one out!:oops:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JC1
Just being beside the 69 Boss 429 was a historical event in automotive history. Ford released only 859 of those. Most were never tagged for street us due to drag race teams scooping them up…

The 1970 GM intermediate muscle cars are my favorite- particularly the GTO and 442.

With 4.11 gears you could have outrun a lot of things with more HP but higher gears.

Back