1966 Chevelle

Sammy, l once owned a 1976 Grand Prix, 455, Turbo 400, console shifter, black with red interior, t-tops, and Honeycomb wheels.
That's one l wish l had back.
You know I think 1976 was likely the last year of the General's 455's in any of their cars. Pretty sure 1975 was the last 454 in Chevelles.
Man those were tough times for car hobby folks. All the de-tuned engines with the choked down horsepower and engine compartments
cluttered with those air pumps ,smog era n anti-pollution tubings and manifolds etc... I loved Pontiacs. A few years back I messed up and
backed off on a Pontiac with only 19,000 mi that is one of my favorites. It just wasnt a good time still having a Chevelle and a big boat
sitting in the shop. If I ever go after another classic it will be this: 1977 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe Can Am. Very limited amount sold. They
stopped producing them when the mold that was used to make the rear deck lids with built on spoiler broke and it was going to cost way
more than they were willing to pay for another. Gotta be one of my all time favorite "smog era" Pontiacs.
ebay716731.jpg

Attachments

• ebay716731.jpg
    ebay716731.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2
When my sister got married in 1977 her husband had a 1964 Chevy II, red with black interior, 327 4speed. He also had a 1974 GTO, 455, console shifter, white with black interior.
My very first new car (my aviatar photo) looks almost identical had the white interior. Cleaned / waxed and out in the sun it was a beauty before someone stole it (never recovered). Those Chevy II 327s surprised a lot of Red Light racers for sure. We had a corner bar sitting on a lonely road with a red light right at the intersection the bar sat all alone at. That light was the starter light for many Saturday night friendly road races. Losers bought the drinks later.

When my sister got married in 1977 her husband had a 1964 Chevy II, red with black interior, 327 4speed. He also had a 1974 GTO, 455, console shifter, white with black interior.
I was a fan of those at the time as I longed to own a Pontiac Ventura. The 1974 GTOs , while not big sellers due to the times / oil crisis and move by big insurance companies and gov clamping down on all the hi horsepower fun are very rare today and unique being built on the Ventura/Nova chasis. I have seen some photos of a couple recently restored that look awesome with the once only cosmetic rear facing hood scoops made into functioing ram air cars. Even spotted a red / white / blue themed one that had been special made in anticipation of the 76 Bicentenial 76 that is a "survivor" car.

The car is beautiful. The wheels, no. I would have Chevy Rally wheels on it if it were mine.
That cam lope reminds of engines I have built in the past.
The Ralley Wheel is, IMO, one of the most beautiful wheels ever. But the 1st year was 1967, so I am not sure I would use them on a 1966 Chevelle.

I was a fan of those at the time as I longed to own a Pontiac Ventura. The 1974 GTOs , while not big sellers due to the times / oil crisis and move by big insurance companies and gov clamping down on all the hi horsepower fun are very rare today and unique being built on the Ventura/Nova chasis. I have seen some photos of a couple recently restored that look awesome with the once only cosmetic rear facing hood scoops made into functioing ram air cars. Even spotted a red / white / blue themed one that had been special made in anticipation of the 76 Bicentenial 76 that is a "survivor" car.
In a town about 10 miles from me there is a black 1977 Z/28. The guy that owns it refuses to sell it. It's just sitting there in his yard rotting away.
My 1977 Z/28 was red with a black interior. I sure do miss it. ☹️

LOVE Pontiacs. Me too. I kick myself today I somehow missed out owning Pontiacs while I was collecting Chevys and even an Olds. Yet no Pontiacs. Buick even had some amazing muscle cars that slipped by a lot of folks who didn't realize back then just like me. Never forget cruising down an interstate in my 1972 Olds Cutlass I see this car coming up on me from behind and I thought for certain "ok, I like this. A Chevelle about to over take me. I want to get a good look." Mouth fell open in shock when it got near me and slowly passed. I see a rear deck lid with a spoiler! I sped up and to the shock the emblems said Buick GSX! This was in 1978 or 1979 and I found out since that Buick had long been selling its own muscle cars and one was named the 1970 Buick GSX Stage1. That car had the biggest cui engine GMC ever put in any mid size car - a 455 cui ram air engine. Those cars were said to have been able to beat almost anything they faced on the tracks. Some years later I read a story about a Buick GSX Stage1 becoming famous for whipping a Road Runner with the 440 Six Pack engine and another Mopar with the vaunted 426 Hemi beast. If rich I would run out of space as I would try to collect every muscle car made from about 1966 to 1976!
Those Buicks were no joke definitely a rare heavy hitter

In a town about 10 miles from me there is a black 1977 Z/28. The guy that owns it refuses to sell it. It's just sitting there in his yard rotting away.
My 1977 Z/28 was red with a black interior. I sure do miss it. ☹️
There is a 1972 Ford Mach1 sitting in a driveway 3-4 houses down from us. That awesome Black/Silver car was fully restored around 1998 with the 351 Cleveland CJ engine and was hell on wheels for several years. The guy who owned it liked to drink. Drink too much. Dont know why? Cant explain how but he has let it sit right where he parked it since 2012. That beautiful Mach1 in the driveway under a tree now for years on 4 flat tires covered in leaves and debris just rusting and rotting away.

Seen this in Carlisle Pennsylvania guy won't part with it but hasn't done a thing with it for a decade
It is very hard for folks to give up some things. Took me close to 5-6 yrs to finally accept it was time to let my last Chevelle go. Still got a framed poster of it in the "man cave." Little grandson just asked me two days ago why that big picture is up there? :)

It is very hard for folks to give up some things. Took me close to 5-6 yrs to finally accept it was time to let my last Chevelle go. Still got a framed poster of it in the "man cave." Little grandson just asked me two days ago why that big picture is up there? :)
I had a 1970 Plymouth duster 340 in mint condition and a 1990 trans am both sitting in the garage many years ago. Young family one income small business owner never had a chance to drive them. Unrelated pressure from my wife to sell because you never drive either one. I caved and sold. The Pontiac I got over the 340 still bothers me to this day.

I had a 1970 Plymouth duster 340 in mint condition and a 1990 trans am both sitting in the garage many years ago. Young family one income small business owner never had a chance to drive them. Unrelated pressure from my wife to sell because you never drive either one. I caved and sold. The Pontiac I got over the 340 still bothers me to this day.
The Duster would have only left by dragging me down the driveway! :cry:

A friend's brother used to take us (10 yr olds) for quick trips! in his (that looks like '66 - you have to see hood + front and rear lights to be sure. '67 had the neat looking power bulge hoods Tail lights were made similar to Pontiac's GTOs for '67. His Chevelle SS396 I think same identical color. His came with a thin stripe along both sides that ran right along that crease / bend just a few inches above the rocker panel molding. I have not seen a lot with those side stripes yet they were a very low cost factory option that looks great. I was shocked to see him lose a race to one of those short bodied '67 Chevy II cars with a hot 327cui 350hp engine in it. That Chevelle could lay smoke and rubber like no bodies busisness. Just shows how advanced the car industry has come. Now we have little fuel injected , tuner foreign cars that can leave some 60s & 70s era muscle machines behind in a cloud of dust. Man that color (cant recall name of it) just sends me back into dream land!

Back