1911's, gun reviews-ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone noticed or is it just me, that almost every gun review in magazines talks about how the gun "ran flawlessly" yet when you get on forums, there are certain brands that people say are horrible? For example, i thought para was supposed to be a decent brand yet there is tons of bashing about the guns--and it isn't the normal glock vs. xd-type argument--which I consider a matter of personal preference since there usually isn't much negative feedback about either one-just 'X is better than Y. Are there any specific things to look for when buying a 1911? I have seen the MIM debate going on and yet there are some major companies using them on different parts. I would like a 1911 but sometimes it seems like it is nothing but a gamble--and that the mags are just advertising everything as great. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yeah, gun reviewers, like car reviewers, can be bought.
I'd love to get a 1911. Actually I want to get one for my grandpa for christmas. But the prices are out of this world. I thought the HKs I want are expensive. Man If I could find a no frills, basic, good quailty, and reliable 1911 for $500-600, I'd be happy.

Isn't there a non-advertisement based, subscription only based gun test magazine??

The best gun reviewers are at the local range and those that work at the local gun store. Shop employees know what is being shipped out for 'warranty' repair and what breaks too often.

Check with your local police officers and sheriffs. They'll give you a pretty good idea of what they wouldn't carry or buy.

Get to know your local gunsmith too. Even some of the 'lemon' guns simply need some extra 'finishing'. A little fitting, filing, polishing..... and a lemon would turn into a superb reliable shooter.

And, know your ammo. Dysfunctional ammo in great gun is useless. I think that many who complain about a certain guns used some pathetic ammo.

Also, with a new gun under warranty, make sure you use that warranty. The assembly line is nowhere as accurate as the repair 'smitty. If your new gun has any issues, ship it in for repair. You'll get it back repaired and usually in a better state then what is shipped new.

The range or gun shop, perhaps.

I'd avoid the PO's. Our local conservation guys couldn't get Glocks because it was a "flawed" and "broken" design to have to pull the trigger to remove the slide.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
Has anyone noticed or is it just me, that almost every gun review in magazines talks about how the gun "ran flawlessly" yet when you get on forums, there are certain brands that people say are horrible? For example, i thought para was supposed to be a decent brand yet there is tons of bashing about the guns--and it isn't the normal glock vs. xd-type argument--which I consider a matter of personal preference since there usually isn't much negative feedback about either one-just 'X is better than Y. Are there any specific things to look for when buying a 1911? I have seen the MIM debate going on and yet there are some major companies using them on different parts. I would like a 1911 but sometimes it seems like it is nothing but a gamble--and that the mags are just advertising everything as great. any thoughts would be appreciated.

1911 is a gun of love. Its big, heavy, very involved, lots of parts, long to clean, take apart, put back together, ect. . .

I have a Para P14-45 Hi Cap.
It will jam about every 100 shots shooting FMJ.
Every 40-50 useing some JHP.

The type of ammo will make BIG differences.

I have to disagree somewhat. The 1911 IS big and heavy but not lots of parts....that is not a lot of parts involved in a normal tear-down and cleaning. What....maybe 6 parts or so? Also, it doesn't take any longer to clean than any other gun and whether tearing down or reassembling, it takes less than a minute. Practice makes perfect I guess. I could probably even do it blindfolded if I had to.
Also, your Para is jamming WAY TOO often. In the 22 years I've owned my 1911, I've NEVER had ONE jam. And that is using both factory loads and hand loads and hollow points and FMJ but always using a quality magazine. Just my .02

Originally Posted By: Footpounds
I have to disagree somewhat. The 1911 IS big and heavy but not lots of parts....that is not a lot of parts involved in a normal tear-down and cleaning. What....maybe 6 parts or so? Also, it doesn't take any longer to clean than any other gun and whether tearing down or reassembling, it takes less than a minute. Practice makes perfect I guess. I could probably even do it blindfolded if I had to.
Also, your Para is jamming WAY TOO often. In the 22 years I've owned my 1911, I've NEVER had ONE jam. And that is using both factory loads and hand loads and hollow points and FMJ but always using a quality magazine. Just my .02

You have never field stripped a Glock!
thumbsup2.gif

1911 field strip is like slave labor compared to field stripping a Glock!
It's a gun of love. You enjoy your 1911, thus you do not care about field stripping it.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

You have never field stripped a Glock!
thumbsup2.gif

1911 field strip is like slave labor compared to field stripping a Glock!
It's a gun of love. You enjoy your 1911, thus you do not care about field stripping it.

It might help if you were arguing the same pistol systems. Not the same caliber ammunition.

I am a new 1911 owner and find it no more trouble to disassemble than my P-89 Ruger or my HK USP, there is just 2 more steps. It is, after all a 1911. Not a P-89 or a HK USP.

Most if not many of the '1911's out there are not real 1911's. External extractors, funky internal safeties, poor tolerances since about everyone makes them now...the list goes on.

I have 4 1911's and the only one that is a little buggy is a Springfield "Officer's" size gun. But again, this is an adaptation on the original design.

Something is seriously out of whack if the gun isn't reliable on ball ammo.

I think Springfield is still the best deal for 1911's and they are fairly true to the original design.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Yeah, gun reviewers, like car reviewers, can be bought.
I'd love to get a 1911. Actually I want to get one for my grandpa for christmas. But the prices are out of this world. I thought the HKs I want are expensive. Man If I could find a no frills, basic, good quailty, and reliable 1911 for $500-600, I'd be happy.

If you have an Academy Sports near you.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=co...0357-03513-7472

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Man If I could find a no frills, basic, good quailty, and reliable 1911 for $500-600, I'd be happy.

Rock Island Armory. GI & Tactical version can be had for well under $500. IMO, far superior to anything Taurus makes. They also have great customer service. You should check out their section on the 1911 forum: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?s=68a53225089c8ee8a83c21fd15824248&f=17

Nothing runs well with bad mags - Wilson 8 rounders typically work very well .

Of the 1911's available I would say that .45 cal singlestack 5" configuration is probably the least likely to have problems if built well .

Really short barreled 1911's seem be more tempramental .

Hi-cap 1911's stick you with magazines that are usually not interchangable with anything else , and may or may not need tweaking . Even the STI and SVI owners get mags " tuned " every once in a while .

Pretty much any decent name brand 1911 can be reworked into a nice pistol .

Kimber and Springfield make decent singlestacks , Wilson , Les Baer and several other smiths turn out primo custom stuff .

I would not buy a Para or Taurus based on past experiences ( bias ) El cheapos like LLama and Firestar are junk .

Almost forgot to mention that STI is marketing a singlestack , I have not actually seen one yet , but might be something worth considering .

I have been very pleased with my Springfield Mil-Spec. It's a fine pistol for a very good price. I can't say enough good things about that gun. I got it just before the rush we're experiencing now... The guys over at http://forum.m1911.org/ and http://forums.1911forum.com/ are pretty knowledgeable. There's fanboys everywhere though. It was my understanding that, barring custom stuff, Springfield is second only to Colt, and that's just because they're the 'originators'. Springfield is known for outstanding customer service.

If I was looking to get any gun regardless of price I'd pick up a blue steel Colt Commander Series 70. Not that I think it would perform any better than my own, but you just can't beat the 'real deal.'

Speaking of Springfield...

I heard that Colt's & Springfield's metallurgy, is superior (harder) than the other brands.

A 1911 is probably the best semi auto ever produced. They have the fastest triggers on the market . They are accurate and very easy to shoot .

1911's still dominate competition and is very popular among SWAT teams. Plus, they are selling more than ever...after nearly 100 years.

If there was something wrong with the design, this would not be the case.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Steve S
A 1911 is probably the best semi auto ever produced.

I could not disagree more.

LOL! I was waiting for you to show up to tell us how great the 9mm is!

I no longer have my 911. I am an IDIOT! for selling it years ago.

I called mine Opra, big, heavy, powerful with alot of junk in the truck.

Its not a gun for everyone but I tell you it was reliable as the sun rise and very accurate.

I am more of a revolver guy now but if I did get another auto it would be a 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back