1911's, gun reviews-ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Footpounds
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Steve S
A 1911 is probably the best semi auto ever produced.

I could not disagree more.

LOL! I was waiting for you to show up to tell us how great the 9mm is!

How is this a caliber war? Last time I checked you could still get a 1911 in 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Super, 10mm, etc...

I've shot and owned several 1911 STYLE pistols. Some were better than others...but it had nothing to do with caliber. While they might be one of the most popular style of pistols produced, I would hardly call them the best.

It's not about caliber at all. The 1911 is a [censored] mechanical design. The guys that think .45ACP is an elephant stopper and a 9mm is a mouse gun are either completely ignorant, or are compensating for something.

I shoot USPSA, and I've seen more 1911's fail than all other guns combined. Locked up trigger bows, broken barrel links, allllll kinds of feeding issues, many because of the [censored] feed ramp design.

Some of the guys I shoot with have highly customized STI/SVI 2011 type guns that are about as reliable as my Glocks, but those things are way better built than most 1911's.

It's not a caliber war as far as I know. No need to check again anytime soon as the 1911 style pistol is STILL available in all of the calibers you mention.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The guys that think .45ACP is an elephant stopper and a 9mm is a mouse gun are either completely ignorant, or are compensating for something.

Thanks for not making me look like a liar! LOL

The FBI Hostage and rescue team ...which is trained by marines carry the Springfield Custom Porfessional. It's a Bullseye gun...groups at 75+ yds about 3/4" by a pro shooter off a bag.

It does cost $2,700.00

http://www.Wilsoncombat.com for the best mags and 1911's out there as well.

With a 1911 it's having a passion to own one and the willingness to pay for a custom.

If you dont want to spend the $$ then get a Glock 21 SF .45 ACP.

Last edited:
This is to flesh out my previous response...
I like the Mil-Spec Springfield for many reasons. My top reasons are:

It's very true to the original design. There's a mainspring housing lock that can be replaced for about $30 and the firing pin is .38 size if I remember so that it can pass the 'drop test.' This improves the gun's safety and reliability and as nearly as I can tell has no drawback, so I don't have a problem with it. The ejection port is lowered and flared and the ramp polished.

The gun feels good in my hand. I've never held a gun that felt more like an extension of my arm than this one. Some more 'performance oriented' incarnations like the Kimber have tolerances that are too close or are balanced in an unnatural-feeling way. Some, like the Paras and others that I've seen are poorly fit and finished. This gun has proven extremely reliable once broken-in. If I were in a position where I needed a pistol in my hand I'd have complete confidence picking up this gun.

Also, the .45 ACP was designed with the 1911. Neither one was built around the other and that's part of the design's strength, IMO.

I really doubt you'll find any 1911 in the stated price range (or anywhere close) that has the same fit, finish, features, reputation, customer service, and functionality as the Springfield offerings. I had roughly the same price range as you some months ago and did pretty exhaustive research on the subject.

My Springfield Armoury 1911A1 is just the regular model (bought it used about 15 years ago) so Im not sure of the specific name. I have never had a problem with it that wasn't related to me doing something wrong, lol. It has a few add ons that I bought, extended slide release, Wilson Combat sights etc. I find it easy to field strip and clean as well. I tjhink it is a great gun for its intended purpose, but, I also would like to get a Glock, I have fired a few Glocks in different calibers, and I am impressed with them, I just wish they werent so expensive to buy new.

I dunno what the Glock prices are in Canada but, here in the States you can find new Glocks for around $479.99

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
I dunno what the Glock prices are in Canada but, here in the States you can find new Glocks for around $479.99
Thats a good price, up here, I have seen new Glocks go for $849.00, which is a rip off as far as I am concerned. Alot of stuff seems to be cheaper down there, especially gasoline.

Regardless of the brand and type I see no real advantage from one pistol to another. They all have good and bad points. The main thing is does it protect you in a bad situation? If it goes band then it's a bad pistol at all.

All guns are all made pretty good now a days so getting an inferior brand/type is non-existant.

If I heard someone doing bad things to my new car I'd pick up my Charles Daly and go have a look.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Regardless of the brand and type I see no real advantage from one pistol to another. They all have good and bad points. The main thing is does it protect you in a bad situation? If it goes band bang then it's not a bad pistol at all.

Fixed it for you.
wink.gif

All guns are all made pretty good now a days so getting an inferior brand/type is non-existant.

You can't be serious. Ever heard of a Lorcin, Jennings, Raven, etc... I am by no means a gun brand snob, but those brands are just plain dangerously poor quality.

If I heard someone doing bad things to my new car I'd pick up my Charles Daly and go have a look.

If I hear someone doing bad things to my car, I'm calling the police and being a good witness. My life is more important than my car. Now, if they attempt entry to my home, they will be met by the 12 gauge.

toddmog,

I had a Jennings and a Raven in the past and found them to be pretty good for what they do. It's NOT a 800$ 45 pistol but in the calber 22LR and 25ACP they're not bad pocket pistols. Just keep them clean and properly oil and it'll run when you pull the trigger.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Man If I could find a no frills, basic, good quailty, and reliable 1911 for $500-600, I'd be happy.

You can - Taurus has an awesome full featured 1911 for under $600 MSRP.

Well, they don't make "saturday night specials" like they used to. My dad used to have an off-brand .38 revolver he picked up in the '70s that left powder burns on your hand when shot. He claims it threw sparks as well. I think he said it cost $20 new and he ended up breaking it into pieces against rocks and throwing the parts into different areas of Galveston bay so that nobody could get killed trying to shoot it.

Now, I think that level of quality is a thing of the past, but going around to gun shows there are still some guns whose quality is very questionable. Some of the stuff looks like it was stamped out of chinese car bumpers. You may not be exposed to some of that stuff out there in California, but it does exist.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
he ended up breaking it into pieces against rocks and throwing the parts into different areas of Galveston bay

Wow. There wasn't an unsolved murder in your neighborhood was there?
LOL.gif

I'm an "OK" shooter with my Glock 19.

Then I shot a lot of rounds thru my buddy's modded Bar-Sto 1911 competition gun two weeks ago. All of a sudden, I became a pretty-good shooter.

My next gun won't be a Bar-Sto, but it will be a modded, high-quality 1911.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back