19 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 (2TR-FE) 10,000m M1-0w40

I love it. Cast iron war horse From a bygone era. I have a work tacoma with the V6 and it’s also a dog. Difference is that this is the most durable gas engine on the road and the v6 is very high tech and quirky. I don’t trust it myself

2.7 is the only way to go. It spins at 3k plus on the freeway but so what. It’s because it stays in 4th gear for the most but keep in mind I have very heavy LT Tires. The 6 doesn’t do much better imho.

Drive one and see what you think. If I couldn’t have gotten the 2.7 I wouldn’t have purchase one honestly...love this engine.

They have the spin on oil filters now too right? On the 2.7.
Thanks....

They have the spin on oil filters now too right? On the 2.7.
Thanks....

Yes. Spin on. After removal of the factory oil filter using a wrench, subsequent oil filter changes were done by hand. You can reach under and around from above, on the passenger side, with a cold engine of course. I used Fram's, with the built in grip. Fumoto or fluid extractors make for a clean 10 minute oil change.

Many say that engine has no muscle.
What say ye? I like the pricing of them myself.

It probably depends on what you have before. I had a 96 Tacoma with the 2.7. It did everything I asked of it. On a regular basis I would haul 1200-1400 pounds of wood pellets and had no trouble at all. This truck had the 4 speed automatic too. Going up hills was never a issue.

The 2.7 is a gutsy motor.

It probably depends on what you have before. I had a 96 Tacoma with the 2.7. It did everything I asked of it. On a regular basis I would haul 1200-1400 pounds of wood pellets and had no trouble at all. This truck had the 4 speed automatic too. Going up hills was never a issue.

Thanks PT
I had many trucks but I also had a 83 Datsun 720 pu. with a 5sp man and diesel
The first thing you did was avoid first gear. Fun but no power.

Different motor.
No VVT.

Different motor technically yes but the current 2trfe is just a refresh with some new tech to improve fuel economy and power. They are the exact same for intents and purposes. I had the 2.7 in my 95 Tacoma which also was lifted and had heavy LT tires through with a manual trans and it had over 500,000 miles when i sold it. It had perfect compression on all holes btw!

Fantastic motor. Its not fast but it will still be sucking air and burning fuel when the others are long since put out to pasture in the junk yard.

Here is my UOA from 2015 Sienna. M1 5W30 EP after 10K did not shear down at all.
I might try for comparison 0W40 FS just to see wear numbers etc.

Attachments

• 15 SIENNA-UOA-2019.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 47
Hey Guys,

Had to create a new user name as my old one apparently had the associated email and password changed. Anaywas here it is...same 19 Tacoma 2.7 4x4. Lifted and on 32 inch LT load range E tires. This is the second run of 10k on the oil filter (Fram Ultra). Lots of time at sustained RPMS of over 3k. Mobil 1 0w40 changed at 10,000 miles...filter changed this time as well. Another run of M1 0w40 and the first of two runs on the new Fram. I didn't test TBN this time as it was around 5 after my last run of 10k
Looks good, almost 40K miles in 14 months. I’m lucky if I do that mileage in 3 years

Me too. Especially considering the idle time and high rpms.

the current to fill saw 60f today...but this winter it will see -40f with no wind factored in

Mobil 0w40 always holds up so well for me regardless of what I put it through. I run it in my 19 4Runner too
Does wind chill even come into play here?

I recently picked up a `21 2.7 Tacoma and was debating using Toyota 0W20 (Exxon sourced) or Mobil1 EP 0w20 or ESP X2 0w20.

Also another 2.7 fan here, old school durable engine- Iron block, closed deck, forged rods and crank...could probably run any oil and it would go at least 500k miles!

I recently picked up a `21 2.7 Tacoma and was debating using Toyota 0W20 (Exxon sourced) or Mobil1 EP 0w20 or ESP X2 0w20.

Also another 2.7 fan here, old school durable engine- Iron block, closed deck, forged rods and crank...could probably run any oil and it would go at least 500k miles!

I bought a 2020 2.7 Tacoma last year and find it to have plenty of power both around town and on the highway. I've been using SuperTech Syn. 5w-30 with Toyota YZZD3 filters (slighly larger than the stock YZZD1).

As you and others here have written, I'd think most any decent oil will work fine for many, many miles. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 is several other cars like my Porsche with a flat-6 and a Lexus and BMW both with straight-6 engines and am tempted to use it in the Tacoma too.

But, I'm sure you'd be fine with any of those 3 0w-20's you mentioned, though I'd lean toward the Toyota oil with its high moly content.

I recognize that your circumstances call for a thick oil. OR. 33's. Got it. M1 0W40 is an excellent choice.

Respectfully, here is my opinion, with the understanding that I have personally logged 900,000 miles on 2TR FE's. I would use M1 ESP X2 0W20. It is shear stable, keeps rings, timing chains and valve stem seals, clean and free of wear.

There will be similar, if not improved protection, with better performance.

You logged 500k miles on an engine from 2005 that spec’d 5w30. What makes you think that recommending the OP use 0w20 in his 2019 truck “based on your experience” is anything worthy of noting? 🤨😒🤷🏻‍♂️ Your 900k miles of use isn’t on 0w20. 🤦🏻‍♂️

or am I missing something?

You logged 500k miles on an engine from 2005 that spec’d 5w30. What makes you think that recommending the OP use 0w20 in his 2019 truck “based on your experience” is anything worthy of noting? 🤨😒🤷🏻‍♂️ Your 900k miles of use isn’t on 0w20. 🤦🏻‍♂️

You’re missing more emojis

taco 4 prolly like my gone 2.9 colly, gotta wind it to go + forced induction is surely needed. only OK mpgs as reported by many with low power is not great IMO. my 2011 fronty with the 4.0 + 6 spd manual is almost as good mpgs with plenty of power pulling a much heavier standard weight. i like the looks of the taco with standard cab, but way overpriced + quite smallish!!

2005 Tacoma.
Purchased September 2004. Oil used was VWB 5W30 SL and then VWB 5W20 SM.
750K miles.

2018 Tacoma. Purchased December 2017. Oil used was several 0W20 oils SM and then SN. 150K miles.

Both vehicles had the 4 cylinder 2TR-FE engine.

I share my info not to be noteworthy, but to be helpful. Not many people drive as many miles as I do.

TY.

Back