19 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 (2TR-FE) 10,000m M1-0w40

Hey Guys,

Had to create a new user name as my old one apparently had the associated email and password changed. Anaywas here it is...same 19 Tacoma 2.7 4x4. Lifted and on 32 inch LT load range E tires. This is the second run of 10k on the oil filter (Fram Ultra). Lots of time at sustained RPMS of over 3k. Mobil 1 0w40 changed at 10,000 miles...filter changed this time as well. Another run of M1 0w40 and the first of two runs on the new Fram. I didn't test TBN this time as it was around 5 after my last run of 10k

Attachments

• TACO-201017.pdf
    237.3 KB · Views: 584
I just can’t believe that as bad as I flog this engine it’s doing so well! I off road the heck out of it, idle it, tow with it...you name it. It gets hammered
Good on Toyota and good on Mobil and Fram

can't really do much better than that. commendably low iron for a timing chain engine too. that spot of lead would strike me as insignificant or just a particle streak.

i'd just keep on keepin' on...don't screw with a good thing at the price you can get that oil for!

Looks solid. I hear some say that the 0w oils shear more. But that does not seem to be the case here.

I was seeing it different. It looks like it finishes as a 30 weight at near 12 cST @ 100C. The Castrol 0w-30 I was using starts out at 12.2.

I do wonder about that lead...hoping it’s nothing to worry about
2 parts per million??? I don't know what the noise level is for a properly calibrated ICP machine but back when I ran AA it was at least that. So it might not even be present at all.

I'm also not clear where it would be coming from anyway, do the bearings in your 2019 engine even contain lead?

From what I have read, Toyota hasn’t used lead in their engines for some time now as well as other manufacturers.

Additives?

Hey Guys,

Had to create a new user name as my old one apparently had the associated email and password changed. Anaywas here it is...same 19 Tacoma 2.7 4x4. Lifted and on 32 inch LT load range E tires. This is the second run of 10k on the oil filter (Fram Ultra). Lots of time at sustained RPMS of over 3k. Mobil 1 0w40 changed at 10,000 miles...filter changed this time as well. Another run of M1 0w40 and the first of two runs on the new Fram. I didn't test TBN this time as it was around 5 after my last run of 10k
I recognize that your circumstances call for a thick oil. OR. 33's. Got it. M1 0W40 is an excellent choice.

Respectfully, here is my opinion, with the understanding that I have personally logged 900,000 miles on 2TR FE's. I would use M1 ESP X2 0W20. It is shear stable, keeps rings, timing chains and valve stem seals, clean and free of wear.

There will be similar, if not improved protection, with better performance.

I recognize that your circumstances call for a thick oil. OR. 33's. Got it. M1 0W40 is an excellent choice.

Respectfully, here is my opinion, with the understanding that I have personally logged 900,000 miles on 2TR FE's. I would use M1 ESP X2 0W20. It is shear stable, keeps rings, timing chains and valve stem seals, clean and free of wear.

There will be similar, if not improved protection, with better performance.

The 0w20 is proven to work fine...but I think the 0w40 is a high quality product (maybe mobil's best)and id lean towards the 40wt for the chain protection.

I was seeing it different. It looks like it finishes as a 30 weight at near 12 cST @ 100C. The Castrol 0w-30 I was using starts out at 12.2.

I see what you mean, but the mobil 1 FS starts out at only 12.9 so its barely a 40 to begin with.

To me 12.9 to 12.2 over 10k miles is pretty good!

Me too. Especially considering the idle time and high rpms.

the current to fill saw 60f today...but this winter it will see -40f with no wind factored in

Mobil 0w40 always holds up so well for me regardless of what I put it through. I run it in my 19 4Runner too

I love it. Cast iron war horse From a bygone era. I have a work tacoma with the V6 and it’s also a dog. Difference is that this is the most durable gas engine on the road and the v6 is very high tech and quirky. I don’t trust it myself

2.7 is the only way to go. It spins at 3k plus on the freeway but so what. It’s because it stays in 4th gear for the most but keep in mind I have very heavy LT Tires. The 6 doesn’t do much better imho.

Drive one and see what you think. If I couldn’t have gotten the 2.7 I wouldn’t have purchase one honestly...love this engine.

Back