18K Amsoil 0w-30 SSO 2006 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here, I have an 06 civic, why are you running 0-30 and not 5-20? I'm thinking of going to Amsoil when I change oil next and would like to take it out to a 1yr oci.

Originally Posted By: TeachMeOil
Help me out here, I have an 06 civic, why are you running 0-30 and not 5-20? I'm thinking of going to Amsoil when I change oil next and would like to take it out to a 1yr oci.

Currently I am running 0W-20. I ran SSO 0W-30 because the viscosity is very close to 5W-20, Amsoil recommends it as well as 0W-20 and 5W-20, and I wanted to try it.

I am impressed with SSO, I still believe Amsoil is the king of extended oci intervals.

I just drained my fill of ASM Sunday after 1 year, 6803 miles. Should have results back this week.

I still have a case and a half of ASM, but I am liking the sso

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
Are you using any bypass filtration or just the ea filter?

I should have said Ea044, which is a bit larger that stock. This is the third interval with it.

Also, this OCI was the first time I saw the fill line on the dipstick actually move. Went from the max full line down about 0.1" or so, right toward the end of the interval. I mean barely any oil used, not worth topping up.

So it moved only .1" during the entire 18,000 mile OCI? How many oil filters during said interval? Three ("This is the third interval with it.")?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
So it moved only .1" during the entire 18,000 mile OCI? How many oil filters during said interval? Three ("This is the third interval with it.")?

1) Yes. Never even showed measurable consumption during any of the other intervals (OCI = Oil Change Interval). I've never had an engine like this.

2) Only 1. (Interval, OCI = Oil Change Interval, this OCI was 18K with the same filter)

Thanks for the correction "TSO" buster!!! The "LOL" in my post where to let people know I was laughing being jokeing as in not serious! I guess even that does not work!!! So I guess I can just drop those! I did say that it was a stellar report in that application did I not!

buster you and other's always shoot down any good UOA in a Toyota as proof that M1 for instance does not cause high Fe! Yet when Amsoil does good in a Toyota or Honda everyone clamers and cheer's! All I am saying is lets be consistent if we cannot take any UOA of M1 from a Toyota as proof of good performance then we need to do the same with all the other's AMsoil included.Consistency!!! Toyota and M1 are always the wipping boys!!! Lets be consistent!

I did not say any oil could do 18K and look great I said I was sure M1 could do 18K HWY miles in 6 months and look "almost" as good. So if you are going to para phrase me at least get the key points right!

For the price of the oil and filter for the above 6 months seems a waste! Really at full retail price I am confident that I could do close to 2 6 months oil changes for the price of the oil and filter at full mark up compared to what I can buy at Walmart!

If I get the chance to do 18K in 6 months I will gladly post my results but I doubt that will happen for another 12 months at least. At some point I will not need to attend College at the college I will be taking class's at a Hospital near Detroit that will be a one hour trip at HWY speeds each way daily. So I might be able to get close to that millage during that time frame. I will sincerely try to do the mileage with M1 and a premium OTC filter if I can and do a UOA!

I am still waiting for the GM V8 running Amsoil with single digit wear metals over a 10K OCI to show up!

Oh and for all practical purpose's Toyota,Lexus,Honda,Hyundai,Ferrari and Ford Modular V8 and Dodge 4.7 V8 all belong in the same well built extra rigid lower end catagory and all get great UOA above the norm with just various blips hear and their! So we should rule these out I think when looking to see how well an oil can do.

Oh and the censored word in my post is not a swear word as used in the context I used it in. In fact it is even found in cartoons from the 1950-1980's so the computer censor is not very smart!

Not saying I would or reccomend doing 15 to 20,0000 mile OCIs with M1 oils, but a guy I worked with has done that very thing in his 99 Silverado (M1 10-30) and the engine still runs great with 250,000 miles. I also know he has never done a UOA so if he did it might scare the wiz out of you. Now it would be interesting to see how EP would hold up with those miles, but ima
not doin it. I'm a 10,000 mile OCI guy no matter what super duper oil comes along.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about this oil is that with OCIs this long, it's hard to justify the "need" to hide from everyday responsibilities in your garage/man-cave every 3-5k miles.

Nothing stops you from doing MORE responsible things with your precious time since you don't have to deal with changing the oil and disposing of it. There's a long enough list. If changing oil is some yen you have, expand the circle of vehicles. Invite other man cave dwellers to join in on the fun.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
The only thing I don't like about this oil is that with OCIs this long, it's hard to justify the "need" to hide from everyday responsibilities in your garage/man-cave every 3-5k miles.

No one has to know it's a long drain oil. Just go into the garage and pretend :)

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Jim 5

No one has to know it's a long drain oil. Just go into the garage and pretend :)

Well I won't lie to you. I wouldn't be the first time I fired up the furnce, put the Eagles on the stereo, jacked up a corner of the car and then spent the next couple of hours attending to "regular maintenance" on one of the cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back