185/65 15 or 195/65 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone in BITOG Land

I need new snow tires for the 2008 Corolla the recommended tire sizes are 185/65 15 or 195/65 15. I feel the 195 will give better winter grip yet I heard some talk that a narrower tire applies more weight per square inch and hence better grip.

Any ideas?

TIA

Last edited:
I'm running 195 on a prius spec'd for 185 and at times it does float over the slush.

But 195 is a slightly more common size, so if you get a flat in february you may be able to get a replacement.

There is probably a better selection in the 195/65 size since it is more common
smile.gif

What size is on your car now?

Originally Posted by cjcride
Hello to everyone in BITOG Land

I need new snow tires for the 2008 Corolla the recommended tire sizes are 185/65 15 or 195/65 15. I feel the 195 will give better winter grip yet I heard some talk that a narrower tire applies more weight per square inch and hence better grip.

Any ideas?

TIA

Probably not enough difference between two sizes to actually notice. Pick the one that's more common and gives you better selection of tires to choose from.

185 will cut throughbetter but the tires grip has more to do with its design and chemistry

I have 185's on my Cobalt because it saved over $100 on the set

I like going narrow on snows and run 185/65R15's on the Focus. Costco had blizzaks that size for $100 each installed, this summer so I got a set, and they work great.

A larger tire would have more sipes, biting edges, which is one of the crucial factors in winter performance.
The old "get more psi per square inch" is poor for ice, has to do with the physics of ice, the more pressure the more slippery it gets.
Now if you have to go in several feet of snow, narrower is probably the way to go, but for other situations, I would go with the bigger tire.

Narrow is better on ice-you're relying on the tire's ability to basically melt the ice somewhat underneath to get traction. Wide is better in heavy snow IF you're running all terrain tires on a truck, can dig in and go if needed. I would go for the 185s, they would do better on a Corolla, as long as all else is equal (preferably studless snows).

Generally speaking, narrower is better in snow (including deep snow). You don't want the tire floating on top, you want it to sink down into the snow. A wider tire leaves a wider path, so, it covers more area in the same distance, which will leave it floating on top a bit more.

So, if you're sizing snow tires, usually a minus 1 fitment (e.g replacing your 235/45R17 summer tires with a 215/55R16 winter tire) works out better.

However, in your case, these tires are so close together in size that it really doesn't matter.

Pick the size that has more options.

Best snow tires I've ever used (and I've had several sets) are Nokians. You can likely find them up in Canada. Simply awesome brand. I suppose the folks living in Finland know a thing or two about winter...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
There is probably a better selection in the 195/65 size since it is more common
smile.gif

What size is on your car now?

The car has 2 full sets of wheels with tires. Summers are 195/65 and winters are 185/65

The difference between tire - meaning make and model - is much more important than the difference is size - with the exception of load carrying capacity. In this case, it really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
The difference between tire - meaning make and model - is much more important than the difference is size - with the exception of load carrying capacity. In this case, it really doesn't matter.

This.

Even a 195/65R15 is quite narrow, compared to what a lot of cars come with nowadays. The tyre (brand and model) in this case probably is more important than the size.
Generally speaking, a narrow tyre is better regarding aquaplaning, slush and (very) deep snow, while the wider tyre is better at anything else (dry and wet tarmac, packed snow, ice...).
But in sizes as close together, a narrow tyre with a "fine" profile (narrow thread, closes shoulders etc) might be worse in the slush conditions than a wider tyre with a more open tread pattern, and the wider tyre be worse in the dry...
So ask yourself, what are the conditions you are most likely to encounter, which of these do you fear the most, and then weigh these against each other. Then buy that tyre in whatever of these two sizes it is available in (on the assumption that both these sizes are approved for your vehicle).

Last edited:
195 65 15 michelin x ice works extremely well on my Golf. In addition to a more common size you can enjoy slightly more sidewall for a more comfy ride. I see no reason to go 185 unless for a big discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back